Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motoillumination headlight doesn't fit. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016 | 01:03 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tfalcon
Bright, yes, but doesn't project any of that light to usable light on the road. I don't like mine at all and plan on taking it off and throwing it in the fs section. I had to do some finagling to get it to sit right in the bucket, it's not a perfect fit but it doesn't move around.
I actually don't disagree with this at all... It did improve with a bunch of up and down adjustment, but it's kind of a weird light... It's super bright for a short distance, and then it rapidly disperses into nothing... It almost doesn't even make sense!

One thing that I find really annoying is that the relationship between the high and low beam isn't how I would want it... When one is adjusted where I want it, the other is off...

I won't go so far as to say that I don't like the light, but it is a far more effective daytime running light than real night time headlight.

Old 05-29-2016 | 01:13 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by F86
I actually don't disagree with this at all... It did improve with a bunch of up and down adjustment, but it's kind of a weird light... It's super bright for a short distance, and then it rapidly disperses into nothing... It almost doesn't even make sense!

One thing that I find really annoying is that the relationship between the high and low beam isn't how I would want it... When one is adjusted where I want it, the other is off...

I won't go so far as to say that I don't like the light, but it is a far more effective daytime running light than real night time headlight.
I ride a ton at night, and I love this light, I suggest you need to play with adjustments if you aren't in love with it, because I can see everything with mine, not only great distance, but side vision as well, even in corners.

Old 05-29-2016 | 01:56 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
I ride a ton at night, and I love this light, I suggest you need to play with adjustments if you aren't in love with it, because I can see everything with mine, not only great distance, but side vision as well, even in corners.
I second that. The way I have mine set up, I need to be moving pretty damn quick to override the headlight.

Old 05-29-2016 | 02:08 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skid_pimp
Originally Posted by JustOneDean
I second that. The way I have mine set up, I need to be moving pretty damn quick to override the headlight.
Hmmm. Maybe I'm just comparing with my other bike, a twin-headlight Triumph Speed Triple. It has two conventional headlights (5.75" also), and they're like a pair of flame throwers at night.

The difference between the two bikes in the dark is like... well, night and day.

I'll try some more adjusting... But I do find that when the high beam is best, the low beam is above the road surface. When the low beam is best, the high beam bottoms out on the road too close to the bike.

Old 05-29-2016 | 02:26 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Originally Posted by F86
I'll try some more adjusting... But I do find that when the high beam is best, the low beam is above the road surface. When the low beam is best, the high beam bottoms out on the road too close to the bike.
Exactly my thoughts.

On the concrete interstate with no street lights its ok, but in the city on black top forget it, might as well turn it off. It just doesn't project the light out at all, just a scattered mess barely in front of the bike. Maybe if you were to make the top half of the little circle lights projectors and keep the bottom half as is it would work a little better. I dunno.

I've adjusted it so many times I don't know what else to do. I work shift work so I'm either riding to work at night or riding home at night. I have it set up now to where I'm using the high beam pretty much as the low beam so I ride with the high beam on all the time. Still less light output than stock tho.

Old 05-29-2016 | 04:16 PM
emerican19
Road Warrior

You guys need to aim/adjust the light. Mine works perfect at 100mph and in curves.

Old 05-29-2016 | 04:45 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Originally Posted by emerican19
You guys need to aim/adjust the light. Mine works perfect at 100mph and in curves.
By the looks of your sig pic you have the first gen? That one might put out a different beam pattern than the second gen.

Old 05-29-2016 | 08:37 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by F86
Hmmm. Maybe I'm just comparing with my other bike, a twin-headlight Triumph Speed Triple. It has two conventional headlights (5.75" also), and they're like a pair of flame throwers at night.
There's a good chance that's it. I'd be interested to see a Fat Bob (I'm assuming those are both 5.75" as well as the rest of the FXD line) with a pair of Motoillumination lights compared to the Speed Triple. I'm just comparing mine to the stock light, which doesn't set the bar high at all.

Originally Posted by tfalcon
By the looks of your sig pic you have the first gen? That one might put out a different beam pattern than the second gen.
It does. I had the first gen and now run the second gen. I actually prefer the second.

Old 05-29-2016 | 08:51 PM
tfalcon
Tourer

Originally Posted by JustOneDean
There's a good chance that's it. I'd be interested to see a Fat Bob (I'm assuming those are both 5.75" as well as the rest of the FXD line) with a pair of Motoillumination lights compared to the Speed Triple. I'm just comparing mine to the stock light, which doesn't set the bar high at all.

It does. I had the first gen and now run the second gen. I actually prefer the second.
Maybe I got a bad one then? Or maybe I was just expecting too much? The way everyone talked about it on Facebook made it seem like it was the best brightest light in the word. The first time I rode with mine I thought it went off cause I couldn't see a damn thing. Loosened up the headlight bucket and set out again and adjusted it while riding and got it set the best I could. Either way, I don't like it and it's coming off Tuesday and I'm going to try something else. The one custom dynamics sells looks promising but costs a little more than I was willing to spend.

Old 05-29-2016 | 09:58 PM
Chase1961
Road Captain

I had to grind off some off the cooling fins to get mine to sit in the bucket properly. I didn't have any issue with the plugs/connectors. The outer lip is thicker than stock and can be a pain to get the trim ring back on.

Last edited by Chase1961; 05-29-2016 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Motoillumination headlight doesn't fit. Now what?