Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshields Without Turbulence

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:47 PM
richdeerht
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshields Without Turbulence

What setups, '06 or later Dyna, do this? I'd prefer this with a windshield that I can see over the top. The smaller the windshield that can do this, the better, too.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:50 PM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Windshields Without Turbulence

I like my windvest 14 by 14 not real big but works well!

Old 05-18-2007, 06:03 PM
richdeerht
Advanced

Gramps-
It looks like your bike has a tank lift, too.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:06 PM
ULTRA Gramps
Outstanding HDF Member

Yes, 2 inch from jackyl well worth the money look in my gallery

Old 05-18-2007, 06:26 PM
Psycho
Road Master

Is that 14 inch high enough to throw the wind over your head, or do I need a 16 inch.

Also, is there a severe amount of turbulence from under the windshield??

Old 05-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't believe there is such a thing as a windshield without turbulence. An open (no faring) front end and legs in the wind are going to generate turbulence, period. You just feel it more because the windshield blocks the oncoming wind at your chest. Add forward controls and you increase turbulence.

That said, I have the HD Sport Shield with quick-release clamps (none of which have broken; knock on wood). I can see over it and it does its job well. My turbulence was dramatically reduced with Jackyl's 3" tank lift.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:40 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

I just installed a National Cycle Deflector clear windshield on my '06 Super Glide Custom. My frontage road is a State highway so I got out there yesterday and kicked it up to 60mph pretty quick. Man, what a difference. Only 1 ride now so far, but it seems like a 45mph putt to do a 60mph cruise. Lot's of difference in the turbulence. I don't get much buffetting of my upper body and virtually none on the helmet. I did manage to get up to 70mph for just a little bit and it seems that the wind/noise was getting a little worse.I'm going to have to get out and ride some more to make that call with an informed opinion.

I got the windshield on eBay from accint for $85.29 delivered. Item #290044310151. I think it was a pretty good deal. The windshield is almost $100 in the catalog.

I found a product on line, but lost the URL, of course, that would help with wind turbulence. Or so it claimed. This stuff is some kind of rubber trim for your windshield. It's a little over $12 a foot and has 3 ridges on the forward facing side. You install this stuff all around the sides and top of the windshield and it's supposed to stop a lot of the turbulence and noise. I want to try it but I need to find that URL. If anyone knows what it is help a bro out and post it here.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:18 PM
freebyrd
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put the full size quick release windshield from hd on my bob, and i like it, it probably knocks down the wind by 50 percent so it works for me and it comes off in a snap,

Old 05-18-2007, 10:07 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Well it has taken me 26 yrs and 5 Harleys to come to the conclusion that windsheilds suck. They all produce turbulence. If you want to eliminate turbulence, you need a fairing. That said, Baker Built Air Wings help reduce turbulence alot. They look like crap, IMO, but for long trips they might be the ticket for those of you with windsheild buffeting issues.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:39 PM
06FXDCIRider
Cruiser

This new windshield I have is about 14" x 14". That's going to be the biggest one I have. Until I get a Softtail, anyway. Then I'll get one of the compact HD windshields. I just want one of these primarily to keep all the road grit off of me. I live out in the country and there is always sandy grit hitting me in the face. Even my own bike is throwing that crap off the front tire and fragging me. So now that the windshield is on I can enjoy my open face helmet and not feel like I'm getting a sandblasting treatment.

Quick Reply: Windshields Without Turbulence