Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early TC Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016 | 02:31 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Thanks for answering all my questions I might have a few more later, here is one more for now I'll under stand if you don't answer til after its dark as your prob out riding as my bike has like 16 k miles do you think I could make it the rest of the summer I know your not a psychic but I would really like to wait to winter. I do here some chain noise mostly hear it at idle but I'm not sure if this is normal or not it's not really loud but it's still there.

By the way thanks for the write up the more I read on here and see people doing it the better I feel about my abilities to do the job.

Old 05-20-2016 | 02:37 PM
Reindeer
Supporter
Supporter

Excellent write up. Thank you.

Old 05-20-2016 | 02:45 PM
1stfxdwg
Cruiser
Default just my opinion

now that you have pulled the thing all apart, understand that HD'S rattle, clatter, vibrate among other things. put it back together, keep good oil in it and shut up and ride. no disrespect, dont fix it til breaks. the tensioner insp. was good preventive maint. now just ride it. there are those that are of the philosophy that if pull the cams outa the rear bearings than you replace the bearings. put some miles on it, trust me it's a harley it will crap soon enough, have fun while you can!

Last edited by 1stfxdwg; 05-20-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2016 | 02:46 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by CJD197
The S&S 510 is designed for 3k up on the torque curve. It's a bit less sure footed slipping the clutch on a start, but once moving above 1500rpm it feels just as good as the stock cam. Approaching 3k it comes on like the stock cam never could. I haven't had it out much yet...I'll update once I have. I did punch it one good time in 2nd gear and it pulled the front wheel off.

Running the stock carb, it sputters and pops winding down...but I love that sound. A long cammed engine always gets mad when you don't open it up, and that's exactly how the 510 acts.
Sounds like my kind of cam. I'm from the school of old so I prefer to have an unstable idle, low idle vacuum, big displacement, and lots of angry noise. Fire from the exhaust is a plus.

Old 05-20-2016 | 03:52 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Lol coggarman I wished you lived closer I'd come over and help ya out just so I could learn and that all sounds good to me I had a 350 small block once and on cam break in we had fire shooting out the headers..lol I should have paid more attention to my buddy then but I was just a teenager

Old 05-20-2016 | 07:01 PM
1999 Wide Glide
Tourer

Thanks for the EXCELLENT right up with good pictures. I just replaced my tensioner pads last winter but I will be doing this mod around 60K.

Old 05-20-2016 | 07:41 PM
fxdlx
Road Master

Excellent write up. Interesting looking at the chain drive compared to the gear drive in your pic. The cams spin opposite directions and the lobes are on opposite sides.

Those torrington's are definitely the way to go.
The TW50 I'm running has big fat lobes and a 510 lift. Similar to what you got I guess.
I think I'll change it out for the TW37's I have, so the torque will come on sooner.

Edit: I used an undersized pinion gear.

Last edited by fxdlx; 05-21-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-20-2016 | 08:41 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

I spoke to Andrews today they recommended the 37s for a dyna I would love to go gear drive but I'm not sure I can swing it money wise right now so I'm thinking of going cyco tensioner and the Andrews 37 cams I know it's not ideal but I figure it will get me through a year or two and if decide to trade in then I won't have as much money tied up in it. To the OP what are you doing with your old chains and sprockets and tensioners. I would like to get as many extra parts as possible so when it comes time to do the swap can have the parts ready to go in. Plus yours have less miles than mine.

Old 05-20-2016 | 11:12 PM
CJD197
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Thanks for answering all my questions I might have a few more later, here is one more for now I'll under stand if you don't answer til after its dark as your prob out riding as my bike has like 16 k miles do you think I could make it the rest of the summer I know your not a psychic but I would really like to wait to winter. I do here some chain noise mostly hear it at idle but I'm not sure if this is normal or not it's not really loud but it's still there.

By the way thanks for the write up the more I read on here and see people doing it the better I feel about my abilities to do the job.
Can't say for sure, but with only 16k on your bike, if it were mine I'd have no problem waiting until the riding season is over. My motor was making a decent racket, but as you saw, the chains and tensioners were fine. I think the aluminum casing acts as a sounding board for the chains on the TC's. From what I've read failure before 30k is very rare.

Old 05-20-2016 | 11:27 PM
CJD197
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by tcarson84
I spoke to Andrews today they recommended the 37s for a dyna I would love to go gear drive but I'm not sure I can swing it money wise right now so I'm thinking of going cyco tensioner and the Andrews 37 cams I know it's not ideal but I figure it will get me through a year or two and if decide to trade in then I won't have as much money tied up in it. To the OP what are you doing with your old chains and sprockets and tensioners. I would like to get as many extra parts as possible so when it comes time to do the swap can have the parts ready to go in. Plus yours have less miles than mine.
I plan to hold onto the old parts for now, but I'll look you up if I decide to get rid of them. I do hear ya on the 37's. Out riding today I punched it a couple times below 2k rpm, and the torque isn't there like I'm used to. I have to remember to downshift a gear from my old habits. Above 2500 it really comes on though! The 37's will give you a wider torque band so you can let your rpms come down and still have the torque when you need it. I came very close to just buttoning the engine back up with the Cyco's.

I hit it once to get around traffic this afternoon and later my riding buddy said he thought I had jumped to light speed. He couldn't keep up with his 103CI. I'm gonna like this cam. The piece of mind with the gear drive is a real bonus too...

Last edited by CJD197; 05-20-2016 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Early TC Issues?