Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early TC Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016 | 10:37 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by CJD197
I wondered if the INA's can be pulled out from the cam side without removing the crank?
Jims makes a special puller to remove the inner cam bearings.

Old 05-14-2016 | 10:42 PM
CJD197
|
Tourer

Took the cam plate out this evening. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. The bearings are smooth and tight. The tensioners don't even have enough wear to catch my fingernail on. The only parts that could be causing noise would be the lifters, but it was not a lifter noise I heard.

I guess that's what I get for riding with no helmet. Apparently the TC is just naturally rattly.

Old 05-14-2016 | 10:53 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Mine doesn't seem to make any valvetrain noise, but it's entirely possible that I just can't hear it over the open drag pipes and open air cleaner.

Old 05-14-2016 | 11:26 PM
fxdlx
Road Master

So, you have on e ball bearing and one roller bearing?

Old 05-15-2016 | 11:02 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Take a look here, I think he has a link to a video where you can hear what these address. Been a lot of chatter on here about them, I'm going to pull the trigger this winter and see if it quiets mine down.

http://www.rockout.biz/

Old 05-15-2016 | 07:40 PM
CJD197
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by fxdlx
So, you have on e ball bearing and one roller bearing?
Mine was still a virgin when I went into it...2 ball bearings. Is the roller bearing a straight swap, or does it take a newer cam plate? While I'm in I am considering at least upgrading the bearings, although the originals are pristine.

Old 05-15-2016 | 07:44 PM
CJD197
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by ackman1968
Take a look here, I think he has a link to a video where you can hear what these address. Been a lot of chatter on here about them, I'm going to pull the trigger this winter and see if it quiets mine down.

http://www.rockout.biz/
Interesting! I did note when I was removing the rocker plates that the shafts would move easily back and forth. That could very well be the "clickity" sound I was keyed into.

Old 05-15-2016 | 07:48 PM
CJD197
|
Tourer

Tomorrow I plan to make some phone calls and decide if I want to make any upgrades to the valve train based on the info you guys have given me. My options range from simply getting the gasket set and buttoning it all right back up as it was...up to a complete gear drive conversion. I'm still a bit fuzzy about what else is needed for the conversion in addition to the kits S&S and Andrews sell. It sounds like they require the 2006+ cam plate to go with them.

So many decisions! I'll decide by tomorrow, as I want the bike back on the road by this weekend. Feel like a dweeb taking it apart for nothing. But at least I learned a lot about the TC. Thanks for all the tips and info!

Old 05-15-2016 | 07:51 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

After I get done with my current plans for mods, I'm gonna dig into the engine. Nothing radical. The 88 is honestly plenty for me. I will definitely do a gear drive conversion and rocker lockers, tho. Less maintenance to worry about.

Old 05-15-2016 | 07:56 PM
CJD197
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by cggorman
After I get done with my current plans for mods, I'm gonna dig into the engine. Nothing radical. The 88 is honestly plenty for me. I will definitely do a gear drive conversion and rocker lockers, tho. Less maintenance to worry about.
I'm thinking the adjustable pushrods are a must too. They allow you to service the cams without removing the rocker covers. The rocker covers aren't bad to remove, but they do require removing the tank...or at least lifting it, as I did. I just filled the tank and didn't feel like draining it.

Quick Reply: Early TC Issues?