Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail to Dyna converts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Upnorth433
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softail to Dyna converts?

Had a lot of sport bikes previously. Then owned a bagger (Victory Cross Country) and i just didnt like the weight and wanted a Harley. Last year bought a Heritage Classic. My wife rides with me a little under half the time but generally doesn't want to do more than a couple hours at most. Once in a great while we do an all day ride. I put on 6,000 miles last year, no city riding and about 1/4 highway. I don't have any issues with vibration at highway speedso like some people claim.

So I've probably given way more info than needed, but I'm thinking of trading for a wide glide? I'd go sundowner seat, windshield, and backrest for when the old lady and I ride (We're 380lbs together) Maybe upgrade the rear shocks if needed. Also would put mid pegs on just for changing positions on long trips but would still keep the forward controls.

I don't dislike the heritage, but I'd like something lighter and more "hooligan" if that makes sense? I've always wanted a wide glide. For those who have ridden extensively, or own both, will I be less comfortable on the dyna on longer distances? I hear conflicting info regarding vibration on the highway. Some claim the softail vibrates worse, some claim the dyna? Any other things I should consider between theach two models?

Old 04-29-2016, 01:59 PM
hetkehog
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

ive had them both, but dynas more though. me personally, go dyna all the way. except for my 2002 CVO I have now, every one of my dynas rode better that my softail. but that's just my opinion

Old 04-29-2016, 02:55 PM
Frank Castle
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I have tried to ride Softails.. but every time I have tried I ended up scraping something in a turn or a curve.. dunno if its their lean angle or my riding style, or both.. Ive also rode a few sportsters and a couple of baggers and while they don't do bad and are kinda 'flickable' (sporties are too small for my 'frame') ..none of them are a Dyna

The only HD I have ever owned has been Dynas.. and I probably wont ever change..

Last edited by Frank Castle; 04-29-2016 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 03:14 PM
jojo1dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

rode both bought the dyna, friend has a roadking ride it once in awhile, still like the dyna better for every day use. but the roadking is nice on the highway

Old 04-29-2016, 03:37 PM
LowRyd3r
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a sport bike from age 15-40. Then I decided I was officially old.
I tried my dads soft tail & it just didn't feel right to me. Tried the low rider & was hooked. Much more comfortable but still able to ride (somewhat) aggressively.
However...I've taken it on a few short trips and even with my more padded "two person" seat it's kind of hard on the tail bone (lol) Don't think I could take any long road trips.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:47 PM
srshaw
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i had a test ride on a fat boy before buying my fat Bob. I think if I'm being honest I prefer the looks of the soft tail, but the dyna rode much better, especially around corners. I live in the uk where most roads are quite twisty, if you ride straight roads then this might not matter.

Old 04-29-2016, 04:53 PM
Sharpie
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRyd3r
I owned a sport bike from age 15-40. Then I decided I was officially old.
I tried my dads soft tail & it just didn't feel right to me. Tried the low rider & was hooked. Much more comfortable but still able to ride (somewhat) aggressively.
However...I've taken it on a few short trips and even with my more padded "two person" seat it's kind of hard on the tail bone (lol) Don't think I could take any long road trips.
If you get a Dyna, invest in a Mustang solo seat with a backrest. Best comfort mod I've ever done.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,880 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Softail to Dyna converts?

I would think that would be a large club.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:45 PM
pkvir
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I switched from a Heritage to a Fat Bob. Its just so much more fun to ride.

The following users liked this post:
hd4evr2008 (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 06:14 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

I have one of each, and love them both. The Dyna has a smoother ride though, and a little more cornering clearance. Cornering clearance on a softail will largely depend on which model you have though.

Quick Reply: Softail to Dyna converts?