Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowrider front wheel play?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 08:15 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lowrider front wheel play?

So i was riding my bike (99 FXDL)today and noticed a vibration coming from front wheel at slow speeds. So when bike is parked i grabbed front wheel and pushed/pulled and front wheel moves slightly side to side? Does anyone know if this would be bearings or maybe someone installed incorrect spacers? I read somewhere that the wheel has a given amount of play but that doesn't sound right to me.

Old 04-10-2016, 08:23 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

I've never had a bike that had any side to side play in the wheel. My first guess is bearings. It should still not have side to side play with the wrong spacers. The forks wouldn't look right (parallel)when looking at them from in front of the the bike.

Old 04-10-2016, 09:28 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarson84
So i was riding my bike (99 FXDL)today and noticed a vibration coming from front wheel at slow speeds. So when bike is parked i grabbed front wheel and pushed/pulled and front wheel moves slightly side to side? Does anyone know if this would be bearings or maybe someone installed incorrect spacers? I read somewhere that the wheel has a given amount of play but that doesn't sound right to me.
Sounds like brgs to me

Old 04-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 826 Likes on 443 Posts

Around 4 thou is the most you should put up with.

Old 04-11-2016, 01:15 PM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 895 Likes on 585 Posts

Also jack the front end up while you're at it, grab the forks and see if you can move them front to back to see if theres any play in there, if there is then most likely the roller bearings on the fork stem are shot too. This will cause a slight vibration as well, so won't an unbalanced wheel. I had all the symptoms you speak of, checked everything out my local indy told me to, but new tires F/R solved it. Not saying this is your case but it was mine.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:02 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Took it to the shop I got it from we jacked it up and there was a very small amount of play he balanced tire in front of me said bearings were in good shape rolled well no sounds he said if I wanted he would do new bearings but that he didn't think it needed them. I will trust him on it for now and when I get new front tire will have bearings changed.... Also while there figured out my accelerator pump was not working so it will cost me a little bit but will hopefully fix the small hesitation I've been having when rolling on throttle out of turns

Old 04-12-2016, 08:28 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Your wheel should really have no perceptible movement side to side, or forward/backward. If you had wrong spacers, you would have known it way before now.

The thing is, if your wheel bearings are good, then your steering neck bearings are possibly not, as that is the only other source of possible movement. Check your 'fall-away' adjustment.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:33 AM
tcarson84
Tourer

Well I will check fall away but the wheel even felt that way off the bike on tire balancer but mechanic basically said I was being to picky as there is not much movement at all like maybe a millimeter. So not sure guess will just ride it until next tire change and get bearings done then. It has the old style timiken bearings so have to find someone that really knows what's they are doing

Old 04-12-2016, 08:40 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,310 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Originally Posted by archergodwin
Your wheel should really have no perceptible movement side to side, or forward/backward.
Archer, just as a reminder... he has tapered roller bearings. He will have perceptible movement side to side.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 23,738 Likes on 7,795 Posts

The timkens have to be shimmed to achieve the proper end play. The factory doesn't always get them right. Remove the brake caliper first & check the end play with a dial indicator. You can't get an accurate measurement with the caliper in place.

Quick Reply: Lowrider front wheel play?