Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Abs wide glide ape help

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 08:24 PM
M.c.laren
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs wide glide ape help

I'm ready to pull the trigger on some apes for my 15 fxdwg, but not for the $2400CAD the dealer quoted me. I was ready to do it myself until the same dealer told me it needed to be hooked up to their computer because of the ABS system??
Is this true? Is there any way I can do the bars myself? I either want 12" on sock risers or some 16". Do I for sure need all new cables and lines? I keep finding different answers everywhere I look.
Thank you!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

HD dealers... meh...

The following users liked this post:
Vec (08-23-2019)
Old 04-05-2016, 08:55 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Hmmm good question. I have abs also. I can't logically think of a reason why abs needs a computer to refresh. I do know that you'll need an specific abs wiring kit for the bike like the stock ones since it'll be too short. Just be careful the wire kit you buy is abs or else you'll be short a cable.

Old 04-06-2016, 06:45 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

The wiring for the controls should be long enough, but don't hold me to it... I have a FXDB. Not sure about the clutch cable, that depends on how high your new bars will go.

When it comes to extending the brake lines, this is where you need the dealer. To properly bleed the ABS, you need the HD Digital Technician software or device, I am not sure what the product actually is. I read somewhere that you can get it close, but you may still have a little air in the lines.

I was lucky, and didn't have to change brake lines when I swapped my bars. I would suggest checking your control wires, and making sure you have enough length there. Check the clutch cable, and make sure that will be long enough for your bar of choice. Then, have the dealer swap out your upper from brake line, bleed it, and be on your way. From there, you should be able to manage the rest of the bar swap on your own. Even if you do have to extend control wires, there is nothing in there that has anything to do with the ABS.

ABS is nice piece of mind, but I am finding that it'll cost you whenever that system crosses paths with any mods.

Last edited by Maxxsmart; 04-06-2016 at 06:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:50 PM
M.c.laren
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-20-2016, 12:07 AM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by M.c.laren
Thanks for the replies!
Talked to my wrench, he says there are ways around not going to the dealer because of the abs issue. I didn't get into specifics, but pretty much he said it's not a big deal and it's an easy work around.

Sounds like any good harley wrench would know how to do this. Avoid the stealership.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:44 AM
North Road
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What I've been told is that air gets trapped in the ABS unit. The dealership hooks up a service unit that activates the valves while the brakes are being bleed, this lets the air through. That being said I did my 16" apes myself during the winter. I used a vacuum bleeder and got out as much air as I could. There was air still in the system and the brakes were spongy. Once a day for a week or so I would tap the lines from the bottom up to work the air out and pumped the brakes. Every time you could feel the the brake firming up. Two years latter brakes and ABS still working as new. If you don't want to wait you can take it into your dealer and have them hook it up and bleed it. The only problem is you have to either trailer it or risk the ride to the dealership with a soft front brake. Either way I would do it myself if it were me. $2400 seems ridiculous!

Old 08-22-2019, 08:59 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm the OP and almost done with the install. All that is needed is yes, bleed the brakes, put some fuel in it and adjust the throttle, clutch and brake cable. I'll do my best to get all the air out of the ABS module.

Thanks all.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:02 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Removing the fuel tank was probably the worst. The cross over tube that runs under the tank and under the frame was bad. Fuel everywhere! Then reinstalling it was even more fun.