Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust for 2006 DYNA

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 05:24 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Exhaust for 2006 DYNA

ORIGINAL: grizzly
SO to SUM it up, yes it is confusing. You may be good with a D/L, you may have to get the SERT, but to say that no kidding every bike HAS to get a SERT is NOT CORRECT. I would suggest this. Before you do a Stage one, take a look at your plugs. If they look great, your bike is probably not on the lean side, and you should be good with just the D/L. If you are lean already then you may want to go with the SERT. ( Jamie I would bet your bike was running a bit to lean out of the box, and if the D/L still was not enough to get into a good place) If you plan on doing more engine work down the road after the Stage one, go with the SERT either way.
we're on the same page. There is a bit of a timeline to the events that led me to wanting a SERT.

1. Bike ran great stock.
2. I added the SEII slipons and noticed it was lean (flat spot in RPM range)
3. Got the download and bike ran great.. better than ever.
4. Added the SE/AC and the bike is back to being too lean.
5. I need a SERT (or a PCIII, DFO, etc)

I used to race bikes. That doesn't make me any better than anyone else, but I think it might make me a little more sensative to a poorly tuned bike.. I'm going to get the SERT, but I think some people might ride my bike and not even notice the problem. It's not like it's running terrible.. if it was warm outside, I'd be out riding it today. I just want it to run better and the flat spot nags at me each time I ride it. Like I said, I think I could probably leave it as it is and not have any problems. I'm concerned about it running hot when the weather changes.

By the time you pay for labor, the download is almost $200. A SERT is only $170 more IF you are capable of installing it and tuning the bike yourself. I'm sure it's quite a bit more if you have the dealer do it all. For someone who doesn't have any money issues, I'd recommend they get the SERT right from the start. If you are capable of doing your own work, I recommend the SERT right from the start. If money is tight and you can't work on your own bike, then try the download and see how it works. Each bike is a little different and you might be happy. Worse comes to worse, you can always put the stock AC back on and it'll run perfect with the download.

The only thing I disagree with is the plug reading advice. It's good advice, I just don't know if it's possible to follow. Unleaded gas makes it difficult to get a good read on plugs. That, combined with the bike possibly only being lean in a certain RPM range, makes it even more difficult to use the plugs as a gauge. You can listen to the exhaust note and get a decent idea... if you've got a smooth, even, exhaust note that suddenly changes to a stattaco sound (almost sounds like a miss, but not quite), then evens back out again as you climb through the RPMs, then you're probably hearing a lean spot. The spark knock sensors take effect during the lean RPMS and retard the timing, so the sound of the exhaust will change and you'll notice the bike isn't pulling quite as hard as it should be.

Old 01-06-2006, 08:36 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with you man. You were not the one I was saying was ranting and raveing. You are right about the plugs, you can only get a overall picture from reading them. Mine are a tad on the lean side, but nothing that is gonna hurt anything. And I am not haveing or at least noticing and flat spots in the RPM curve. I know exactly what you mean. And I hear you on being more sensitive to a poorly tuned bike. I do know that you can take to stock 06 Dynas and one will be leaner than the other. Thats why I beleive your bike may have been on the lean side from the get go. The SERTwill set ya straight.

I have a question now, when they do the Down Load, does it adjust to your set up, or is it a strandard map that they enter? I beleive its standard, but if it is not, or it can be tweaked at all, could that be your problem? Since you did the AC after the download? I dont know, I am just brain storming.

As for the temp, i do some desert riding, and it gets pretty friggin warm. That may become a concern for me this summer.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 PM
JamieWG
Road Master

I agree with you man. You were not the one I was saying was ranting and raveing. You are right about the plugs, you can only get a overall picture from reading them. Mine are a tad on the lean side, but nothing that is gonna hurt anything. And I am not haveing or at least noticing and flat spots in the RPM curve. I know exactly what you mean. And I hear you on being more sensitive to a poorly tuned bike. I do know that you can take to stock 06 Dynas and one will be leaner than the other. Thats why I beleive your bike may have been on the lean side from the get go. The SERTwill set ya straight.

I have a question now, when they do the Down Load, does it adjust to your set up, or is it a strandard map that they enter? I beleive its standard, but if it is not, or it can be tweaked at all, could that be your problem? Since you did the AC after the download? I dont know, I am just brain storming.

As for the temp, i do some desert riding, and it gets pretty friggin warm. That may become a concern for me this summer.

I don't think they can tweak the map without a SERT. It's just a standard Stage I download. The mechanic installed it and noticed I was running the stock AC. I told him I planned on getting a new AC right away. He told me "You might find it runs a little rich until you get a SE AC on it." So I think I got the proper download. Before I added the new AC it ran beautifully. I hate to spend the money on a SERT, but it does look like it'll be fun to mess with. My work situation is a little shakey for the next few days... if everything works out okay, I'll order the SERT sometime next week. If not, I may be out of work for 30 days and it'll have to wait.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
claydbal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you get a very good picture from plug reading plugs if you know how. and you can take plug readings from multiple throttle openings and load conditions. afr, timing, heat ranges are all indicated. as far as one bike being leaner from the factory than the other, with the standards set by the engineers-------do you really believe all that?

Old 01-07-2006, 03:00 AM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

Hey Boys I just got my Street Bob today (a month early) and following MAGAHDMAN advice I'm going to do the Cycle shack slipons, New AC, and SERT tune. I've been away from harleys a few years after owning many over the past 20 years. Before the FI motors i used to have the skill to work on my own bikes but nowaday with the FI I'm a bit lost. My question is this, will I be able to do these mods myself with very little trouble or should I have my shop do them for me? I just want these mods to hold me over for 8-10 months while I plan my 98' build for later down the road. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 AM
JamieWG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: theyogawarrior

Hey Boys I just got my Street Bob today (a month early) and following MAGAHDMAN advice I'm going to do the Cycle shack slipons, New AC, and SERT tune. I've been away from harleys a few years after owning many over the past 20 years. Before the FI motors i used to have the skill to work on my own bikes but nowaday with the FI I'm a bit lost. My question is this, will I be able to do these mods myself with very little trouble or should I have my shop do them for me? I just want these mods to hold me over for 8-10 months while I plan my 98' build for later down the road. Thanks.
Slip-ons and AC will take you about 30 minutes to install. They're easy to put on. The SERT is more complicated, but it comes with a great manual. If you search the forum, there is a link to the SERT manual. It's 126 pages - the first half details the workings of the EFI and the second half tells you how to use the SERT to tune the bike. You will probably want to use a laptop computer and you'll need one with a serial port. If it doesn't have a serial port, you can buy a PCMCIA Serial card on Ebay for about $25.00

Old 01-07-2006, 01:32 PM
theyogawarrior
Tourer

JAMIEWG. Thanks for the reply. Do I need to use the laptop out by the bike or just to download 411 into the SERT?

Old 01-07-2006, 01:56 PM
grizzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: claydbal

you get a very good picture from plug reading plugs if you know how. and you can take plug readings from multiple throttle openings and load conditions. afr, timing, heat ranges are all indicated. as far as one bike being leaner from the factory than the other, with the standards set by the engineers-------do you really believe all that?

First you put your words in my quote.... and yes, it is true. There is a tolerance that they need toget the biketuned into fromthefactoryfortheEPA. A tolerance. And depending on where your bike is on the tolerance...

Old 01-07-2006, 03:24 PM
JamieWG
Road Master

ORIGINAL: theyogawarrior

JAMIEWG. Thanks for the reply. Do I need to use the laptop out by the bike or just to download 411 into the SERT?
You'll need to use the laptop next to the bike. The SERT is just a CD-ROM (with software that can "talk" to the ECM and a bunch of standard HD EFI maps), plus a cable to connect the laptop to the bike's ECM. There is also a dongle, but it's basically part of the same cable. You attach the laptop to the ECM, load up the SERT software, and upload a map that's appropiate for your setup. Then you ride the bike (or have it put on a dyno) and use the laptop and software to record data from the engine. Then you analyze that data and fine tune your bike by making changes to the EFI map in your ECM.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:33 PM
backat55
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the best stage one combo, been looking into a V &H 2:1 pro pipe, maybe their fuel map and SE AC Any suggustion, what performance not noise.

Quick Reply: Exhaust for 2006 DYNA