Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhuast Wrap - What Did You Use??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 06:40 AM
Edsal
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Exhuast Wrap - What Did You Use??

Hey guys! Here's the scoop.

I have a 2015 Denim Black FXDWG. I love this bike so much I'd make love to it if I could!

Seriously though, I've wanted to change the exhaust since I bought the bike but haven't had the cash to do it. I have a friend who works at HD in south FL and he gets his hands on "throw aways" from time to time. Some guy came in recently with a 2015 DWG with V&H Big Radius 2-1 on the bike and wanted to change them out. My buddy asked what he was planning on doing with the old pipes and he said "I'm throwing them away!" so my buddy snagged them and gave them to me free of charge! How could I say no?!

So I'm looking at the pipes and I notice they have a couple of scrapes on the muffler and the elbow has a pretty good sized dent. It looks like the guy did some aggressive riding. I've checked with V&H and replacement heat shields are about $400. I don't have that right now so I'm thinking of wrapping the pipes temporarily (or permanently if it looks really good and can last).

So that brings me to my questions.
1. Can you guys post pics of yours wrapped pipes?
2. Can you give me an idea of how difficult it was to put it on?
3. Can you tell me what brand you used?

Thanks guys! I'll post pics to this thread after I wrap them.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:06 AM
Route66
Tourer
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

I know it serves a purpose but I never liked the look of wrapped pipes on any exhaust...bikes, muscle cars, rat rods, rat bikes, trucks included. But that's just me...I happened to love chrome.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:30 AM
MFC
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Here is my girl .... She has the V&H short shots, no shields, wrapped with the titanium wrap. when wrapping your pipes remember its always better to have more than less.

Attached Thumbnails Exhuast Wrap - What Did You Use??-img_0455.jpg   Exhuast Wrap - What Did You Use??-img_0452.jpg  
Old 03-30-2016, 09:25 AM
Ninety8NeonACR
Tourer
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I just used some stuff off of amazon because it was the only stuff I could find that was a bright white color. I took it off in less than a year because my pipes cracked.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:53 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

When I had my Throwbacks I used the wrap from Drag Specialties in black (link below). I also painted them even darker when needed with black high temp paint.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...aust-heat-wrap

Old 03-30-2016, 10:57 AM
MNFXer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new EXO Series wrap from Design Engineering is pretty nice. I just ordered a 30ft roll, waiting for it to show up to slap on my '82 FXR. It has a stainless chain mail exoskeleton, makes for a really cool look. I saw them at the Drag Specialties show in Cincinnati and at Daytona bike week.

Link:
https://www.designengineering.com//c...aust-pipe-wrap

Old 03-30-2016, 12:24 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Another here with DEI Titanium. It's real easy to do, but takes patience. Plenty of tutorials on youtube. This took a whole roll of 2"x50':

Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 PM
johnnyglass
Cruiser

Is it as simple as soaking in water then wrapping slowly?

Old 04-01-2016, 08:50 PM
Edsal
Advanced

That's a sweet ride man. I really like the contrast in the color of the wrap. You said no shields. I've heard that could cause the pipe to crack over time. Any issues?

I'm thinking of wrapping right over the heat shields that are on the pipes now. I wonder if that would look like ****??

Originally Posted by MFC
Here is my girl .... She has the V&H short shots, no shields, wrapped with the titanium wrap. when wrapping your pipes remember its always better to have more than less.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:54 PM
Edsal
Advanced

Right on. Very nice.

Good to know. That means I'll need two 50' rolls. The pipes are scraped all the way to the chrome tip. I won't go that far down but I think I want to go almost to the end of the muffler. Not sure how that will look but I'm gonna give it a shot.

Have you noticed an improvement in HP?

Originally Posted by cggorman
Another here with DEI Titanium. It's real easy to do, but takes patience. Plenty of tutorials on youtube. This took a whole roll of 2"x50':

Quick Reply: Exhuast Wrap - What Did You Use??