Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Streetbob primary or tranny whine?? HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 03:29 AM
DustyMe
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Streetbob primary or tranny whine?? HELP!!!!

Had a real small oil leak from the primary oil seal, so while I had it apart, went ahead and pressed out the bearing, pressed in a new one. I should say here that I had developed a "whining/chirping" type sound a couple of days prior. Put it all back together (by the book) and PRESTO!!!! The sound is still there, Bummer! The noise goes away when I pull the clutch in and pop it in to first gear. Can't speak to the fact if the sound is there on the road due to pipes and wind noise. Can anyone give me a solid lead on this?? I know it only takes time and money to fix it, but hey, it's time and money!

Old 03-24-2016, 04:53 AM
vdop
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you replace the race on the mainshaft when you replaced the bearing? A noise that stops when you put it in gear is something on the mainshaft because the mainshaft stops spinning when you put it in gear. Unfortunately if it's not the inner primary bearing or race, the other common cause is a chewed up mainshaft from the needle bearings inside the main drive gear, which requires pulling the whole trans to see.