Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL and battery light

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 06:21 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default CEL and battery light

Been doing some searching and it seems like having the battery light and CEL light come on is a common symptom of a bad voltage regulator. And I've noticed that sometimes after riding and stopping for a bit, the bike struggles to fire like the battery is dying. My bike is a 2012 but apparently not one that was included in the regulator recall a while back. I replaced the battery when if first started happening but the problem persisted. I hate throwing parts at a problem but I don't really have time to screw with it and I don't want to bring it to the dealer. I'm tempted to just take a gamble and buy a new regulator and hope it fixes the problem. The thing is, the problem is pretty intermittent. and sometimes its the battery light, sometimes the CEL, and sometimes both. And it always goes away after riding a while, so I'm kinda stumped. I leave it on a battery tender always and it always fires fine the first time. What do you guys think? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Check free stuff first. Make sure ask connections are tight and clean.
I'm not sure what a regulator runs cost wise but I can't believe it is all that high. Wouldn't hurt to get one if the connections don't prove to be the problem.

Old 03-17-2016, 08:50 PM
spankdog
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks BigDog. I know my battery terminals are good but I'll check the ground and connection on the reg too. Best price I found was $119 from Drag Specialty. I think I'm going to just get it and if it doesn't work I'll invest in a volt/amp/ohm meter and figure it out. I'm just trying to stay away from the dealer.