Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superglide risers mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM
HANDLER
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superglide risers mod

I have an 07 FXD and I hate the ridding position. I'm 5' 9" and feel I need to lean forward all the time. The bars need to come up a little but mostly need to come back.
Problem is that, due to the way thespeedo is mounted, you cant just throw on some pullback risers or it will screw up the angle of the speedo.
Also the risers can be too much or the cables and electrical will presumbaly be an issue.
Has anyone done this and if so, what kind of risers have you used.
Relocating the speedo, is an option maybe??
Thanks much, mike

Old 05-14-2007, 09:38 PM
mcro
Advanced
Default RE: Superglide risers mod

This is a huge issue for all of us. I can't believe HD has not come up with some parts that would allow us to use standard risers. Anyway, I'm instaling mini apes this winter but for right now, I just put on 3.75" straight risers from Drag Specialties. Wires and clutch cablesare fine but I had to just bend the front brake line a little bit. No big deal. Looks a little funny but it is just temporary. Very comfortable position. A company called accutronix makes an adapter that will allow for placement of speedo housing on pull back risers but if I recall correctly there is no provision for the dummy lights. To my knowledge there is no perfect solution to this.

Mike C.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:43 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: mcro

This is a huge issue for all of us. I can't believe HD has not come up with some parts that would allow us to use standard risers. Anyway, I'm instaling mini apes this winter but for right now, I just put on 3.75" straight risers from Drag Specialties. Wires and clutch cablesare fine but I had to just bend the front brake line a little bit. No big deal. Looks a little funny but it is just temporary. Very comfortable position. A company called accutronix makes an adapter that will allow for placement of speedo housing on pull back risers but if I recall correctly there is no provision for the dummy lights. To my knowledge there is no perfect solution to this.

Mike C.
Other than a set of pullback T-bars, your solutions are limited. Search the Dyna Forum posts, there are at least 3 recent threads about just this subject, it is a pretty popular mod. Before you spend the cash on risers and the Accutronix bracket, measure your risers. Most risers are 1 1/8" in diameter and the Accutronix mount comes in 1", 1.25" and 1.5" so they won't fit the "in between" diameter risers. I found that out the hard way, tried to modify a 1" to fit the risers which worked, but the results were less than beautiful.

Just a recommendation from my experience.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 493 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm also looking to bring the bars back a little closer.

I'm 6ft tall and have fwd controls on my FXDI.

I just ordered a set of 3.5" straight risers and poly bushings to see if it will allow me to sit back a little bit more.

Not to concerned about the looks and I figure I will eventually change out the handlebars. Just have to figure out which bars?

Old 05-15-2007, 10:07 PM
Psycho
Road Master

There is a good way, but it's expensive.

The riser is from a late model sportster custom. The original speedo on your fxdi will fit right in. The tach mount is not neccessary, but I got it off of fleabay. This setup provided the perfect amount of rise and pullback with the stock bars to put me in a comfortable position. I am around 6 foot tall.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:57 PM
HANDLER
Advanced

Very nice set up. I wish I could see more of the risers and had some info or specs in terms of rise and pullback etc.
I cant see them very well. Is the speedo on the bottom like that a normal feature of this set up? Was this how the sporty speedo mounted also? I also like that tach set up. Do you have any more info on it too?
This may not be a bad way to go dude.
mike

Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Psycho
Road Master

If you look at my sig picture, you can get an idea of the rise and pull back from the side. Also, if you want a look at this setup on a bike, just walk into any dealership and take a look at the sportster custom.

The riser is made for the speedo to fit into.

You will need:

Riser for 06' sportster custom. This consists of three parts. Lower riser assembly, Dogbone (part on top with the speedo mount in it) and there is a cover which goes on the inside of the lower riser to cover the wiring. You should be able to walk into any dealer and look at the parts book for an 06' sportster custom, and identify all of these parts. You will also need to order the screws to hold it all together.

You will also need the plastic indicator light assembly. This consists of several parts as well, and will also be easily identifiable in the parts catalog.

Get a front brake line for a street bob. Your stock cable will work. Barely.

And you will need to have the ability to lengthen some of the wiring. Making good solder connections and using shrink wrap is a must.

You will need a fair amount of patience.

You will need a fair amount of cash.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:26 AM
Psycho
Road Master

Here is a little closer shot from another angle. This is before I mounted the tach.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:16 AM
HANDLER
Advanced

thanks buddy.
mike

Old 05-16-2007, 04:08 AM
D Foot
Stage II

Hey, I found the best option for me was to use a speedo housing and a riser top clamp from an 03 sporty custom, it has the provisions for the idiot lights, cleans it up nicely as well.Check out my picture gallery

Quick Reply: Superglide risers mod