Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown something in the forks?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016 | 08:04 AM
sarpeezy
|
Tourer
Default Blown something in the forks?

Last year when I was riding [somewhat] across the country, randomly my left foot got pissed onand i pulled over and noticed it was oil.

It couldnt be the engine because there was oil in front of the cooling fins on the thingy all the way in front of the engine (cools something electronic if my mind serves me right)

I freaked out, pulled over and saw oil everywhere but couldnt find where it came from, couple months later, I took the bike out for a quick ride and when I applied front brakes, left fork would make a clicking noise and almost feels like it dips too much.

So im thinking I blew a seal, any special tools to fix the seal? Anything else I should replace while im in there? and most importantly, am i right in thinking it is a blown seal?

Edit: I should also note that the fluid felt like it came from the bottom of the forks. By the wheel

Last edited by sarpeezy; 03-09-2016 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2016 | 08:18 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by sarpeezy

So im thinking I blew a seal, any special tools to fix the seal? Anything else I should replace while im in there? and most importantly, am i right in thinking it is a blown seal?
maybe. could be the screw at the bottom of the fork slider where the axle is. once you isolate the issue you can move forward. oil leaks can be a PIA to locate. fork oil stinks to high hell so you'd know it was fork oil. wait a few and see if someone comes along with a sure fire test.

there's not a lot going on inside there and certainly nothing to be afraid of fixing on your own. super easy, only looks complicated

see here:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post14817982

you can get new seals for about 15 bucks: http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/dr...t/DS-0407-0192

or a full rebuild kit from HD p/n:49379-09 (or others ): https://www.surdyke.com/AdvPartInfo....umber=49379-09

Last edited by cvaria; 03-09-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-09-2016 | 08:36 AM
sarpeezy
|
Tourer

Thanks for the answer but like you said, I might have to wait for a sure fire test.

This happened 2-3k miles ago, I didnt smell anything at the time but the smell would have been long gone by now anyway.

I cant think of anyhting else because there is nothing else ahead of the motor that contains oil

Old 03-09-2016 | 08:56 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

You can put a rigged-up dipstick down each fork tube, and see if the oil level in one is much lower than the other. (Bike on a lift, and be careful when removing the caps)

Old 03-09-2016 | 09:56 AM
_LostSoul_
Tourer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
You can put a rigged-up dipstick down each fork tube, and see if the oil level in one is much lower than the other. (Bike on a lift, and be careful when removing the caps)
This! Loosen the top pinch bolt on both left and right sides of the top tree. With both tubes still on the bike, remove both tube caps. There should be some pressure on those caps so some pressure on them when you remove. Use a flashlight to look into each tube and see if one tube is obviously lower on fluid than the other. Use an improvised dip stick to gauge the fluid level. Should only take a few minutes.

Old 03-09-2016 | 12:28 PM
sarpeezy
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Awesome! Thanks!!

Old 03-09-2016 | 04:39 PM
izhd
Road Master

Awesome tutorial on rebuild from one of hdforums sponsors :

Old 03-09-2016 | 04:41 PM
izhd
Road Master

you can install cartridges while you're on it (Adreani, Ohlins). Video covers it as well. Or get cartridge emulators & springs from racetech (somewhat cheaper). Write up on cartridges:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...artridges.html

Old 03-09-2016 | 05:08 PM
stilup
Road Warrior

$15 for new seals is not bad.
New fork oil and your on your way.

Now cartridges might run you a little more.
I would check it and decide how much you want to invest.
Some ricor intiminators while your there is a very good investment.

Old 03-09-2016 | 07:12 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by stilup
$15 for new seals is not bad.
New fork oil and your on your way.

Now cartridges might run you a little more.
I would check it and decide how much you want to invest.
Some ricor intiminators while your there is a very good investment.
if there has been no oil in there, rebuild would be better.

Quick Reply: Blown something in the forks?