Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:36 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL

I guess I probably shouldn't call this a build quite yet but i decided to make this thread to post my upgrades over time. I am on a tight budget so I am shopping for the best deals I can find on new or used parts.

So far I have only got handle bars and seat they were both new and i got a pretty good deal on them. Be honest with me and let me know what you think.
I just picked up the bike yesterday for 5200 out the door(4795 price of bike). Only 14,000 miles

I picked this seat and bars up for 160 dollars
Not too sure about the bars will have to see what they feel like on the bike but will do for now.

Next up is forward controls I't 6'2 so gotta get those legs out there

This is just to show how the bike started so you can compare to progression over time.

8 inch T-bars -$60-brand new-Not on bike yet hopefully this weekend

Saddlemens gel seat-its an older discontinued model called the drifter-got in new in the box for $100

Only problem is was made for wide glide so tab on back is too long i got it on for now but will have to take tab back off and fab it up a little bit unless the dealership has a solution but it wont take much.

Total so far:$5360

Old 03-05-2016, 05:28 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Been bored today Cause its raining I cant work on my bike. Don't have a garage, got it parked under porch with bike cover on it for now. So I went and got some tools and stuff to wash, polish and wax my bike. Also picked up some tools as I lost pretty much all my stuff when i went to prison. Also put felt on bottom of seat as someone was saying the seat might scratch my bike. ( still need to order 3m film) So as you can I am bored and figured I'd post some pictures. Gonna be nice tomm hopefully get alot done.

Kobalt tools Not the best tools but they do come with lifetime warranty and good enough for what i need. Also various other things I picked up.

Why is it that no kits include a T27 torx bit. I already had a milwaukee set of bits but they skip from T25 to T30.

Put felt on bottom of seat not sure how well this will hold up but thought it was worth a try

Not gonna count any of this toward total cause this is all **** i should have had anyways for the most part.
Total still $5360

Old 03-05-2016, 07:08 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks like you're off to a great start man. I did my FXR as a budget build, or actually makeover. The challenge of a budget build is half the fun. That's how we all (me & buds) did it in the 70's & 80's. We had a much higher appreciation for our rides, rather then those just dropping a credit card at the dealers. So respect to you! Like the bars & seat as well. I'll keep tabs on your build and wish you well on the bike and keeping your nose clean. That's the hardest part.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:08 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Thanks man I am glad to see someone is paying attention. I was just gonna keep posting anyways It will get more interesting when i get more money but will do what I can with what little I got. I'll post a pic of what I would like for it to look like when I'm done well sorta this is an older evo bike but its so clean looking. Only diff is I am going to put some kinda fairing on to push the wind up a little further hopefully i can rig up something quick detach.

Here's a pic of bike on ebay i really like and would love for my bike to look this good.

Notice the lowered rear i think it looks alot better kinda helps with the way the front looks also while getting that rear fender down on the tire. I am looking at 11 inch progressive 412 anyone have any experience with these?

Old 03-05-2016, 09:31 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks good man, doing something similar on my '03 FXD, budget wise that is. Selling all of the parts that were on it (previous owner had a lot of aftermarket parts that didn't really fit my style) helped me pay for a lot of the new stuff. Also to blacken up the bike I use some good ol spray paint whenever appropriate.

As far as fairings go I just added an HD quarter fairing and I have to say i'm pretty happy with it. Got a good deal on it, and the mounts (quick detach) came with the bike when I bought it. Still a bit spendy when you're on a budget (totally worth it in my humble opinion), but people sell them on the forums occasionally at a decent price.

Keep posting, I'll definitely be checking in.

Last edited by wyotana; 03-05-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:50 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Notice the lowered rear i think it looks alot better kinda helps with the way the front looks also while getting that rear fender down on the tire. I am looking at 11 inch progressive 412 anyone have any experience with these?
Unfortunately no 11" shock will offer a good ride. They don't offer much travel, so the ride will be pretty firm and somewhat spine jarring. I did have a set of 12" 412's for a while.

Lowered rear ends do look good, but really suck for cornering and riding the twisties, if you like getting aggressive. If you don't care about the ground clearance, sure, go for the 412"s.

If you want an adjustable high/low ride, you could install a set of Monroe air-shocks with an on-board compressor that will allow you to raise & lower the rear on-the-fly. The Monroe set up will cost you about the same as the 412's, and the ride quality was very similar to my previous 12" 412's.

Here's a DIY thread with details for installing the Monroe's. More threads will come up on a search as well.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ride-done.html

Old 03-06-2016, 03:45 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

So far so good! I like the seat and bars you have chosen. I look forward to the progress!

Old 03-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Racqueteer9
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good score on the seat and bars.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 AM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 382 Likes on 194 Posts

Your not very far from having your bike like the example you show. I like the staggered slash cut pipes on your bike better, those long shots or whatever they are hang to low for my taste. The S&S super air cleaner is very classy. I prefer the sleeved shocks appearance wise over exposed springs-whether you go 11" or 12". The black wheels look sharp on your example but some steel wool and mothers on the aluminum on your existing wheels and any of the polished aluminum will really pop. Also the signals up front look sharp in the clear or white lens, and red lens on the rear-just my personal taste but I think the OEM amber (ORANGE) looks trashy. I switched to glass signal lens in red (rear) and clear (front) on my dyna and my wifes sportster. In California that combination is legal. Ditching the reflectors on you rear fender and your down tubes with some fishing line and a blow dryer would make a difference IMO. One last thing-WD40 works wonders on all black wrinkle finish-I've been using it for years.

Last edited by fskitch; 03-06-2016 at 09:43 AM. Reason: WD 40
Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 907 Likes on 587 Posts

Everything looks great man, yeah you're off to a good start. The felt will help you'll just need to wrap it it a little more toward the tank. Mine scraped up the fender because of the lack of film and felt.

Quick Reply: Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL