Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:33 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 382 Likes on 194 Posts

hairspray--really

Old 03-06-2016, 07:11 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

2nd the hairspray - acts as a lube when wet letting them slide on nice and easy, and as an adhesive when it dries. Just make sure the bar is clean before you apply it.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:36 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

not sure that the hairspray will be enough should prob just order new grips cause i took these off my old bars and i prob stretched the left out getting it off.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:55 PM
traffic jam
Road Warrior
Received 691 Likes on 303 Posts

I think covered 412 shocks on your bike, either 11 or 12 inch would really look great - tie the rest of it together. I've had 11 inch 412 shocks on my sportster and they felt great - but I am a lightweight - under 120 lbs so I can't speak for others.

Also, think about buying a parts book on ebay for your bike. I have a 2005 low rider and bought the 2005 parts book so now I know what the exact number of each part is - its come in handy when buying the proper seat, etc. off ebay.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies

I was thinking of getting new grips but kinda scared to do it til i can buy new cables cause to adjust my idle cable this time i had to go all the way back to get it to snap back when bars were turned. Not sure if new grips would change this or not.

about the 412's I do think i might do this down the road when i get some cash , I did check out that air ride system (DIY) and price is good but have no idea where i would put the compressor seems like it would be a LOT of work. I might order the heavy duty springs cause where you are a light weight i am about 215 so not sure.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:00 PM
SquishyLowRider
Road Master
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I 3rd hairspray. I used to use in on my mx bikes all the the time, but I also safety wired as well.

If you want the be all end all for a grip that will never slip. Go to your nearest golf store and by some golf grip glue and double sided tape. You put this thin layer of double sided tape down where your grip goes and pour the glue (very watery) over the tape. Quickly slide the grip on and it will not move in about two hours or so. It's a pain to get off though.

Old 03-06-2016, 10:12 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Thanks for the replies

I was thinking of getting new grips but kinda scared to do it til i can buy new cables cause to adjust my idle cable this time i had to go all the way back to get it to snap back when bars were turned. Not sure if new grips would change this or not.
Not 100% sure what you're saying here, i'm a bit confused haha. But grips are super easy to do, the hard part is the throttle side because (at least this is what I did) you loosen up the throttle cables so you can pull the cables out of the throttle body and slide the throttle side off. If you're having issues with your cables (sounds like you are possibly) they may need to be adjusted/lubricated. Grips shouldn't do anything to your cables unless they weren't readjusted properly.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:36 PM
JK_Showtime
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Thanks for the replies

about the 412's I do think i might do this down the road when i get some cash , I did check out that air ride system (DIY) and price is good but have no idea where i would put the compressor seems like it would be a LOT of work. I might order the heavy duty springs cause where you are a light weight i am about 215 so not sure.
Trust me hairspray will be plenty for the grips. I use hairspray everytime. Also, if your really looking for comfort on the bike look at getting a different seat and go with a better rear shock than the 412's. I have a HD sundowner seat and 13" Progressive 444's an they are a great combination.

Old 03-07-2016, 12:05 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

You don't want your grips glue giving up on you, it could have a bad outcome. I would buy grip glue that is formulated for this specific purpose. Clean, prep the area, then apply and let dry. Hairspray may do generally well but I would never trust it. You can buy grip glue on jpcycles for as low as $3.99. Leave the aquanet for the ladies.

Last edited by SixDD; 03-07-2016 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 06:21 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

I think his issue with the grips is they may be in bad shape - stretched, loose w/e. If that is the case, then no adhesive will do. Get some cheap grips at a minimum. Don't want them slipping and sliding. Or you may...

Quick Reply: Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL