Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:10 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 836 Likes on 449 Posts

Don't wanna scare you but as it is a 1999 Twin Cam 88 it is ESSENTIAL that you have the outer cam bearings inspected to ensure it has had the upgrade to the roller rear outer cam bearing. 1999 and 2000 models left the factory with ball bearings for both outers and the rear WILL explode and cause damage.

Mostly they were recalled by Harley but the two I imported had missed the recall and I checked them as soon as they arrived.

Your dealership should be able to tell you if it was recalled and the vendor should do the job for you if it hasn't.

Typically they explode at around 18-25,000 miles.

If in doubt, have it checked, checking it only takes an hour, doing the upgrade takes about 6 hours, leaving it and finding it wasn't can cost you a motor...

Last edited by Spanners39; 04-10-2016 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 06:10 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarson84
Finally got my turn signals and license plate bracket on.

I also got air cleaner on but when i tried to re-jet carb a screw was stripped and couldn't get it out. Rode it a few miles def needs rejetted and adjusted not to confident on my abilities so might take it to shop also noticed a slow speed vibration so i checked the wheel and its move slightly side to side when i pull or push on it. So back to the shop i guess
Probably bad wheel bearings. Also pay attention to Spanners post and at least have them checked. Would suck to put all that work into the bike to have it blow.

Bike is looking really good. You're doing the essentials first, and doing a good job with them. Keep it up!

Old 04-21-2016, 09:19 PM
tcarson84
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys I'll check out those bearings this winter prob just go ahead and do the screaming eagle upgrade with hydraulic cam tensioners. Got a good deal on almost new CV carb so bought and jetted and shimmed it bike is running much better. Been working a lot lately but finally got some good riding in today. I am lucky to live in such a beautiful place with such twisty roads finally got a peg to rub for first time today, before that I kept thinking well if that didn't do it then I will never get it over far enough. Wasn't bad figured it would be kinda scary but wasn't. Anyways here are some pics.

Attached Thumbnails Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL-photo312.jpg   Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL-photo614.jpg   Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL-photo831.jpg  

Last edited by tcarson84; 04-21-2016 at 09:22 PM. Reason: fix spelling from phone post
Old 04-22-2016, 06:53 AM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 382 Likes on 194 Posts

From what is was to what you made it-great looking bike. Nice job.
My buddy bought a salvage 99 FXDX with 22000 miles. Bike runs awesome but needs fenders, tank and he's having the frame inspected. He gave 2300 for it and I expect him to have it in good shape fairly cheap. He's a wheeler dealer and good mechanic. He's talking about 95" kit and gear drive cams. I wonder if crank runout is within range for gear drive-if not he'll probably do the hydraulic kit like you. His bike and your progress makes me want to go find an early TC with low miles to slow down millage on my bike and have something to screw around with. Again, great job!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:15 AM
tcarson84
Tourer

Thanks skitch. I still got a lot more things i wanna do time and money are the limiting factors right now. Hopefully with some of the overtime i can at least get a fairing. I think I've decided on the memphis shades Gauntlet fairing and maybe the laminar lip to fit it (since im kinda tall). Tired of all the bugs and less wind on the neck would be nice. Still a lot of little things to do but I got it running and rollling good. Like all of you know there is always more to do. Figured out that what i thought was wheel vibration was really just motor vibration at low speeds and certain RPM. If i pull in the clutch it stops vibrating. Probably should change out motor mount and shim it if i needed. But after i figured out what was causing it I've read about a lot worse vibration from the mounts than mine. So hopefully that can hold of til winter too. I don't wanna have the bike down for anything that can wait til winter, when I'm not working I've been trying to get some miles in.

As far as the cam drive cams and big bore kit it's all stuff I've thought of, guess I'll see what my run out is when it comes time. Don't think I'll get to big bore this year would like to. But with such low miles on the bike I don't think I'm ready to replace the top end yet. If it's not broke (or wore out) don't fix it kinda thing. I really don't feel like im lacking for power of course more is always better. Next things on the list are fairing, full exhaust and then this winter I'll upgrade cam chest, take care of of some chrome issues, and get the wheels and fork lowers powder coated black.

EDIT: Just looked at my pictures and decided next thing to go are those big organge blinkers on the handle bars. I'm hesitant to take them off cause i have the LED's in my mirrors and I'm not sure If I will need resistors to get the flasher to work right. But as soon as work slows down I'm gonna get them figured out.

Last edited by tcarson84; 04-22-2016 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:48 AM
LowRyd3r
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I wish I had front dual calipers / brakes on my 01 FXDL. I will post my bike to show you a few of the changes I did w/ that front end.
Bought a cheap headlight & mounted in the lower triple. Ditched that awful thing over the headlight. (this also required buying a part to mount the indicator lights on & clean it up) (total price to do all that was maybe $100)
I moved my turn signals down and attached them to my windshield mount. (total price $11)
Also. If are lucky (like I was) you could find a pair of cheap air shocks from a touring bike. It improves the ride so much. (price $40)
(I just replaced my levers w/ black ones yesterday. Looks a lot better now)
(in case you're wondering. The black on the lower front forks & battery box is appliance paint. Idea was from somewhere here on the forums. Looks great & has held up well)

Last edited by LowRyd3r; 04-22-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 08:27 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 907 Likes on 587 Posts

Wow T, bike looks great man. Got her looking good man, she's a keeper. You should be able to grab a set of turn signals in our classified, they pop up often. Good Luck, looking good.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:53 PM
tcarson84
Tourer

Thanks guys lowrider3 that bike looks good I would do the headlight thing but covering that area up with Memphis shades gauntlet fairing. I do like the blacked out lowers will have to find that thread was thinking of powder coating but will keep this in mind

Old 04-22-2016, 09:11 PM
br549A1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

It's not powder coat but if you're trying to save cash for now a $6 can of plastidip and some painters tape, newspaper and patience and you can black out your lowers and whatever else you want pretty easily. 4 coats and let it sit overnight and it's pretty durable. I did the headlight swap too but you won't need to do that with the fairing

Last edited by br549A1; 04-23-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:46 PM
wyotana
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a heads up, I don't believe you can order a gauntlet fairing specifically for your LowRider. I think you have to get one designed for a sportster (several on the forum say it fits). When I was in the market I emailed memphis shades and told me they did not make one for Dyna's older than 06 or 07 (don't remember which, it has to do with the 39mm front end and they changed around then). I ended up going with an HD quarter fairing for the same price after shipping.

Quick Reply: Budget Build 99 Lowrider FXDL