Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ Internal Wiring Bars - Austin, TX

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2016 | 11:36 PM
johnnyglass
|
Cruiser
Default Help w/ Internal Wiring Bars - Austin, TX

I have spent 3 hours tonight trying to get these damn wires through the inside of my Burly 12" Jail T Bars. I can the plugs to the hole, but it seems the Burly downward holes are about a millimeter to narrow to pull the connectors through. I'm going to run external wiring for now.

Is there anyone in the Austin TX region that would be willing to come over and help me? I don't have any mechanically minded friends to help? I can throw down cash and a case of some local craft beers. I have all the tools.

Or, any tips on widening these holes to get the connectors thru without marring the hell out of my bars? There's only a 3.5" gap between the down pipes of the bars.

Last edited by johnnyglass; 03-02-2016 at 02:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2016 | 12:25 AM
sn95bullitt
Road Master

Why not take the connectors off?

Old 03-02-2016 | 12:28 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

Are you sure they won't fit through with some finagling? What about a little teeny tiny work with a dremel tool if it's close...

Old 03-02-2016 | 12:47 AM
johnnyglass
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robbyville
Are you sure they won't fit through with some finagling? What about a little teeny tiny work with a dremel tool if it's close...
A dremel! Why didn't I think of that? ****. I'll just rent a handheld at home depot tomorrow and be done with it. Thanks Robby!

Old 03-02-2016 | 01:14 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

No worries good luck and sorry that you're having these challenges!

Old 03-02-2016 | 02:53 AM
johnnyglass
|
Cruiser

Ok y'all. Update time. I got the bars on the bike, controls reassembled, have all my lights (yay cardboard in the brake lever housing), and I have a good throttle and idle.

It's externally wired for now, but a friend is bringing me a dremel from his workshop to our work tomorrow, and hopefully this weekend I can internally wire the damn thing after making about a 1/4" extension to the down pipe wire exit port.

Thanks again to everyone who helped guide this first time DIY'er into having the courage to attempt, and (nearly) complete his first big project.

The following users liked this post:
2K3ranger (12-06-2017)
Old 03-02-2016 | 08:38 AM
johnnyglass
|
Cruiser

After sleeping for 3 hours (8am work in a call center), I feel like depinning the connectors might be a better option than trying to go all Dexter on my bars. I'd like to buy the kit so I have the right tool for the job. If anyone has rec's for the right kit I could buy at Home Depot or Radio Shack, that'd be awesome.

Old 03-02-2016 | 08:50 AM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member

I never bought the kit but I did have success when doing my rear turn signals using a large paper clip. It took me a bit to get the technique down for the first pin (I won't lie some frustration too), watched a lot of you tube videos as well lol. Once I got the first one the others took me less than 15 seconds each. Do some studying and you'll rock!

Also I know this sounds stupid but are you sure that the lower exit is smaller than the top? Just seems weird and wondering if maybe the problem is just the angle the connectors are coming through, maybe just a bit of wriggling? That's how mine were as well.

Old 03-02-2016 | 09:00 AM
johnnyglass
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by robbyville
I never bought the kit but I did have success when doing my rear turn signals using a large paper clip. It took me a bit to get the technique down for the first pin (I won't lie some frustration too), watched a lot of you tube videos as well lol. Once I got the first one the others took me less than 15 seconds each. Do some studying and you'll rock!

Also I know this sounds stupid but are you sure that the lower exit is smaller than the top? Just seems weird and wondering if maybe the problem is just the angle the connectors are coming through, maybe just a bit of wriggling? That's how mine were as well.
I ran a guitar string as a guide on the left, and for 90 minutes, I just couldn't get the damn thing through. Tried needlenose, tweezers, along with lots of wiggling, and just couldn't get it to happen. I pulled them out and thought "let me make sure these will fit" tried to route the connector through the lower hole, and it got stuck trying to push it through. Spent another 90 minutes trying to get the damn thing back out, which I eventually did. At that point, I had decided to just externally wire, as I needed the bike to be back up and running for work (it's my daily driver).

Electrical work scares the **** out of me. But I'm slowly dipping my toe into the water. From what I've read, de-pinning and re-pinning isn't the most difficult thing to do, just get the pins out, bend a piece back up so it will connect, and push the wire back in.

Old 03-02-2016 | 09:09 AM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member

Vacuum cleaner and a piece of string (I like nylon cord). Suck the string thru. Tie the string to the wire bundle. Remove the connectors, obviously. Overwrap with a bit of electrical tape (make sure it's still bendy!). Pull. Maybe add some talc.

Last edited by cggorman; 03-02-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: Help w/ Internal Wiring Bars - Austin, TX