Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My search for what's causing my idle issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016 | 07:19 AM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser
Default My search for what's causing my idle issues...

I've been pulling out sensors and checking different components on the bike like crazy. First here's some background on the bike:

2011 Wide Glide with 15k, Vance and Hines short shots with the quiet baffles, Power Commander V and a screaming eagle heavy breather.

About two months ago I started noticing an issue with the bike. One cold-ish morning I was riding to work like most mornings and I encountered a stop light. It was a long wait. The bike began to rev high and come back down on its own. I was like "ok, that's really weird". So I was in front of the line of cars at the light, when it turned green I attempted to take-off brazenly but she shut off on me. So I tried to start her again and she struggled to kick on. I got her going after a while and continue to work but still noticed it was idling high and coming back down to normal again after a while. If I rev'd the engine at idle, it would hiccup like it wants to turn on, like it hesitates then wakes up. When I would fill up for gas, I turned her off, filled my gas tank and tried to start the engine, and she doesn't wanna start. She eventually starts and begins revving high until she calms down, then the cycle continues.

So I proceeded to look for problems to this fix. I took apart the intake manifold and began cleaning the IAC and ambient air sensor. I went to ride again another morning and it was still doing the same thing. So then I ordered a new IAC, installed that and still doing the same thing. I then ordered an ambient air temp sensor, installed it and it was running fine until I just about got to work and NOW it was just revving a little less higher than before with a slight hiccup when I revved the engine. I also checked the spark plugs and they look good, to my surprise.

Here's what I'll do next:

1) Maybe my tune is out of whack and I gotta look at it again

2) Check for a vacuum leak somewhere

3) Shoot the bike with .45 slugs it that doesn't work.

If you guys have any ideas, please feel free to reply to my post and follow my progress.

I know it was a long one, but I just had to vent a bit

Last edited by hitman1267; 02-25-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2016 | 08:55 AM
WMX124
Road Captain

I would first check to see if there are any stored codes that may give you a hint where to look. I would then disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and then reflash the tune you have been running.

Old 02-25-2016 | 08:57 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain

if your codes dont give you any clue...check your fuel pressure. A weak pump, or a leaking intank fuel line can cause all kinds of issues.

Old 02-25-2016 | 12:00 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by WMX124
I would first check to see if there are any stored codes that may give you a hint where to look. I would then disconnect the battery to reset the ECU and then reflash the tune you have been running.
Roger that will do. Thanks a lot for the help brother. Giving me more places to look and learn new things about my bike. I'll keep you posted how it goes!

Old 02-25-2016 | 12:01 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DesertDyna
if your codes dont give you any clue...check your fuel pressure. A weak pump, or a leaking intank fuel line can cause all kinds of issues.

Hmm havent thought about checking the fuel pump. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. I'm not really sure how to check for a weak pump or a leaking intake fuel line. I'll do some research.

Old 02-25-2016 | 07:10 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser
Default Update!!!

So I took her from work and she was running fine until half alway through. After taking off from a stop light she hiccuped and I lost power briefly. After she was revving high again. It's a weird and annoying problem

Old 02-25-2016 | 07:39 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Supporter

After the third trip to the dealer under warranty my buddies EG had the throttle position sensor replaced and ECM reflashed. Now we are waiting for spring to check it out.

Old 02-25-2016 | 09:01 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
After the third trip to the dealer under warranty my buddies EG had the throttle position sensor replaced and ECM reflashed. Now we are waiting for spring to check it out.
I haven't checked the TPS, maybe that's what I'll change next. And I'll retune this weekend

Old 02-25-2016 | 09:02 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member

You check for low fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. If there is a leak in the fuel line in the tank, which is more likely, you can hear it spraying against the tank wall when you prime the pump. It's easier if there's not a lot of gas in the tank. Might even be able to see it.
I know it sounds like a fuel problem but don't overlook poor battery connections, especially at the ground. Those things can make the bike act very weird at times.

Old 02-25-2016 | 09:58 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevil
You check for low fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. If there is a leak in the fuel line in the tank, which is more likely, you can hear it spraying against the tank wall when you prime the pump. It's easier if there's not a lot of gas in the tank. Might even be able to see it.
I know it sounds like a fuel problem but don't overlook poor battery connections, especially at the ground. Those things can make the bike act very weird at times.
Thanks bud, Ill check that as well, I'll keep you posted brother! I just ordered a new TPS

Quick Reply: My search for what's causing my idle issues...