Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My search for what's causing my idle issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016 | 11:14 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

If your sitting at a light and the bike was reving high then coming back down on its own Id look into electronic issues not the fuel pump

Old 02-26-2016 | 05:10 AM
CJeep
Road Captain

Did you see this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...le-issues.html ?

I know your bike is not a 2007, but seems nearly every possible culprit for a bad idle is discussed. 42 pages of it.

For me, cleaning my IAC fixed my problem. Sorry it didn't for you.

Old 02-26-2016 | 05:17 AM
johnny nz
Stage I

Originally Posted by hitman1267
I've been pulling out sensors and checking different components on the bike like crazy. First here's some background on the bike:

2011 Wide Glide with 15k, Vance and Hines short shots with the quiet baffles, Power Commander V and a screaming eagle heavy breather.

About two months ago I started noticing an issue with the bike. One cold-ish morning I was riding to work like most mornings and I encountered a stop light. It was a long wait. The bike began to rev high and come back down on its own. I was like "ok, that's really weird". So I was in front of the line of cars at the light, when it turned green I attempted to take-off brazenly but she shut off on me. So I tried to start her again and she struggled to kick on. I got her going after a while and continue to work but still noticed it was idling high and coming back down to normal again after a while. If I rev'd the engine at idle, it would hiccup like it wants to turn on, like it hesitates then wakes up. When I would fill up for gas, I turned her off, filled my gas tank and tried to start the engine, and she doesn't wanna start. She eventually starts and begins revving high until she calms down, then the cycle continues.

So I proceeded to look for problems to this fix. I took apart the intake manifold and began cleaning the IAC and ambient air sensor. I went to ride again another morning and it was still doing the same thing. So then I ordered a new IAC, installed that and still doing the same thing. I then ordered an ambient air temp sensor, installed it and it was running fine until I just about got to work and NOW it was just revving a little less higher than before with a slight hiccup when I revved the engine. I also checked the spark plugs and they look good, to my surprise.

Here's what I'll do next:

1) Maybe my tune is out of whack and I gotta look at it again

2) Check for a vacuum leak somewhere

3) Shoot the bike with .45 slugs it that doesn't work.

If you guys have any ideas, please feel free to reply to my post and follow my progress.

I know it was a long one, but I just had to vent a bit
hi new to posting on this forum .I had this problem with my 2011 wide glide also the problem was water in the big plug on pcv.

Old 02-26-2016 | 08:22 AM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

I was messing around with the TPS this morning and I think that may be it, I unplugged it while she was running and though it revved high, she eventually reached a steady idle speed. She ran perfect this morning, but not my suspicions are straying towards the TPS.

Old 02-26-2016 | 08:24 AM
johnnyglass
Cruiser

Hope you get it worked out.

Old 03-01-2016 | 12:10 PM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser
Default Update!

So I installed the new TPS yesterday and this morning I had no idling issues. The feeling was surreal. That funny idle was getting on my last nerve.

Well if you guys ever need parts for your bike, give Ronnie's Harley a visit online

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

They got all OEM parts for all types of Harley's at fair prices. My parts would come very quickly. Thanks again for all the help from the forum!

Over and out!

Old 03-02-2016 | 07:21 AM
hitman1267
|
Cruiser

Never mind it did it again briefly this morning, if it keeps doing it I think I am gonna check the O2 sensors. God this is annoying!

Old 03-02-2016 | 09:17 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Have you tried running a good dose of injector cleaner in the tank?
And/or running a higher octane fuel? Cloud be the place you get gas just has some nasty fuel your bike don't like.

The following users liked this post:
hitman1267 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-02-2016 | 09:34 AM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member

Have you looked inside you tank with a good flashlight? A lot of turbulence usually indicates a hole in you line. Sounds like it may be sucking air.

hitman1267 (03-04-2016)
Old 03-02-2016 | 02:02 PM
WMX124
Road Captain

Did you already re-flash your tune?

hitman1267 (03-04-2016)

Quick Reply: My search for what's causing my idle issues...