Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer beware My totaled bike on Craigslist for sale wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:20 AM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
|
Tourer
Default Buyer beware My totaled bike on Craigslist for sale wow

During the insurance adjuster assessment and telling me the bike has frame damage and really knowing what happened to my bike. I find it for sale on Craigslist it say salvaged true but the guy who is selling it. He is making it sound like it was just laid over. Well according to the driver who stopped traffic he seen me and the bike crash I'm sliding the bike catches a peg or crash bar flops over me apparently this was said to me from the driver behind me who stopped both carpool lanes.

So while on craigslist looking at bikes I come across this posting my bike WTF the guy selling it. He repaired it but is making it sound like it was just laid over. So why did insurance adjuster tell me frame damage . The drive of the car tells me bike was floping down the freeway.

See here
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcd/5450792814.html
Sfbay.craigslist.org search motocycle 2009 harley davidson street bobs 7995.00
See pictures I posted

Attached Thumbnails Buyer beware My totaled bike on Craigslist for sale wow-20150403_130828.jpg   Buyer beware My totaled bike on Craigslist for sale wow-20150119_130550.jpg  
Old 02-18-2016 | 09:37 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Default No dishonesty here from what I can see!

"We have a 2009 Harley-Davidson fxdb for sale. The bike is in excellent condition, runs and drives great, sounds good, has a Basani exhaust on it. other than that the bike is all stock. Bike has a salvage title due to it being layed over, very minimal damage. No frame or even fork or body damage. It had hard saddle bags and a front highway bar sound system that had damage and also the bars. So the bars have been replaced, the saddle bags have been taken off and the sound system. We have detailed pictures before and after. Other than that its great bike that's ready to ride. call or text me at"

BUYER BEWARE! The seller is being TOTALLY up front about it being a salvage title! If I were to be considering this bike I would want to do as complete an inspection as possible. I mean, it's not as if he stated it was previously ridden by a nun on alternating Sundays on her way to mass! No dishonesty here from what I can see AND it looks like he did a nice job in putting it back together again!

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:40 AM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
|
Tourer

Jeff insurance totaled bike due to frame damage who is is not telling the truth now a days how is not I'm sure you got from auction not knowing.

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:43 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
"We have a 2009 Harley-Davidson fxdb for sale. The bike is in excellent condition, runs and drives great, sounds good, has a Basani exhaust on it. other than that the bike is all stock. Bike has a salvage title due to it being layed over, very minimal damage. No frame or even fork or body damage. It had hard saddle bags and a front highway bar sound system that had damage and also the bars. So the bars have been replaced, the saddle bags have been taken off and the sound system. We have detailed pictures before and after. Other than that its great bike that's ready to ride. call or text me at"

BUYER BEWARE! The seller is being TOTALLY up front about it being a salvage title! If I were to be considering this bike I would want to do as complete an inspection as possible. I mean, it's not as if he stated it was previously ridden by a nun on alternating Sundays on her way to mass! No dishonesty here from what I can see AND it looks like he did a nice job in putting it back together again!
maybe a "re-read" as to what the OP states the insurance adjuster stated ... "During the insurance adjuster assessment and telling me the bike has frame damage" then reading the ad which states ... "No frame or even fork or body damage" there is something "amiss"

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:43 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member

People sell salvage titled vehicles on craigslist everyday. It's the buyers job to investigate on what they are buying. Frame damage in a motorcycle wreck can come down to just a scratch on the frame when insurance comes to check it out, it's labeled as frame damage. Weather it's structural damage or not.

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:46 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Let the buyer beware. You don't get a salvage title without significant damage. Seems for every honest person selling on Craislist there are as many dishonest. Hopefully anyone considering buying any salvaged tiled vehicle is aware they didn't get that title due to a simple fender bender or layover.

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:47 AM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
|
Tourer

The insurance adjuster even pointed it out with a big story behind it. I took and have all pictures because it was picked off the freeway took to a tow yard then the brothers went and brought it to my place. Unless you went to the frame Dr and have documentation to prove no frame damage. The insurance adjuster is shady.

Old 02-18-2016 | 10:08 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Why worry about it?
The Insurance guy did you a favor the easiest way he could, with one feld swoop of the pen (frame damage) he totaled your bike and you got your money.
The Adjuster probably knows the insurance company rules, list all parts damaged and add'm up, but if the frame is hurt it's done.
Easiest way to push the paper work through, Frame Damage.
The seller is listing as a Salvage title.
I don't see the problem.

Last edited by JohnMn; 02-18-2016 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2016 | 11:16 AM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Actually, insurance companies do "total" a new motorcycle with fairly minimal damage. The reality is that they just look over the vehicle and make a decision there. They don't do in-depth frame inspections, just look for clues to what "might" be frame damage. Adjusters don't have the time to do through inspections, too many clients to take care of, so "Frame Damage" is a quick way to finalize a claim and move on.

They did that with my daughter's car. Just looked at in in the parking lot, no measurements, no looking under the car, just a glance over it, and said "Frame is bent, car is totaled." Then they offered us about $1000 more than we paid for the car, and we got to keep it. Sold it to a body shop for $600 and bought my daughter a better car.

And that's how I got my Street Bob. Guy laid it down on the highway. Insurance totaled it due to "Frame Damage". Bike shop next door bought it for cheap. We did a thorough inspection and found no frame damage. I bought it from them prior to repairs for half the bike's value. List of damage:

Gouge on one lower fork slider
Scratched right mirror and handgrip
Tank slightly dented on right w/HD emblem damaged
Both brake levers bent
Exhaust shield slightly flattened and scratched
Right rear turn signal bent

All cosmetic and easily fixed. But insurance company totaled it, and I got it for a steal. Bike rides true and straight, no issues. And I'm not worried about the Salvage Title since I am customizing it to fit my tastes and don't plan on selling it.

To the OP, don't stress. The seller is being up front about the Salvage Title, you got your money (and probably already have a new bike), and someone is getting a deal on a Harley. Win-win all around. Chances are, though, you could have kept your bike, fixed it with the insurance money, and still had money left over.

Last edited by veritas.archangel; 02-18-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-18-2016 | 11:45 AM
Nikolaiownz
Road Captain

Do you have some better pictures of the lower fairings? from the front and rear? i love it..

What crashbar did you use? and what lowers?

Cheers and sorry for hijacking your thread!

Quick Reply: Buyer beware My totaled bike on Craigslist for sale wow