Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer beware My totaled bike on Craigslist for sale wow

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016 | 12:18 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

The problem I see is that the bike was totaled due to frame damage, yet the ad specifically states no frame damage. Gotta be one or the other. Me, I wouldn't touch that bike with a 10-foot pole...

Old 02-18-2016 | 12:30 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
The problem I see is that the bike was totaled due to frame damage, yet the ad specifically states no frame damage. Gotta be one or the other. Me, I wouldn't touch that bike with a 10-foot pole...
Again, the adjuster told the OP there was frame damage, that doesn't mean there actually was. I highly doubt he actually did measurements. Adjusters usually do the inspection while the vehicle is sitting in the parking lot (either owner's or body shop's). It's primarily a visual inspection. Like I said, I was there when they did the inspection on my daughter's car. He never even looked under it. Just looked at the surface, checked door, trunk, and hood gaps, took some pictures, told me it had frame damage and cut me a check right there.

Same goes with bikes, the adjusters are looking for visual clues that "may" indicate frame damage, and then err on the side of caution and call it done. So just because an adjuster says the frame is damaged doesn't mean it is, it may just mean he was really busy and needed to get onto the next client. Chances are it was "totaled" because that was quicker and easier. "Frame damage" is just an easy answer to give because most people don't know, and won't question it.

Last edited by veritas.archangel; 02-18-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-18-2016 | 12:41 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Old 02-18-2016 | 09:48 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
t. Chances are it was "totaled" because that was quicker and easier. "Frame damage" is just an easy answer to give because most people don't know, and won't question it.
More importantly the person at the key board at the insurance company that processes the adjusters paper work and cut's the check,, won't question the decision or the adjusters work.
It's really sad most folks can't grasp the concept.

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:54 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain

Originally Posted by veritas.archangel
Again, the adjuster told the OP there was frame damage, that doesn't mean there actually was. I highly doubt he actually did measurements. Adjusters usually do the inspection while the vehicle is sitting in the parking lot (either owner's or body shop's). It's primarily a visual inspection. Like I said, I was there when they did the inspection on my daughter's car. He never even looked under it. Just looked at the surface, checked door, trunk, and hood gaps, took some pictures, told me it had frame damage and cut me a check right there.

Same goes with bikes, the adjusters are looking for visual clues that "may" indicate frame damage, and then err on the side of caution and call it done. So just because an adjuster says the frame is damaged doesn't mean it is, it may just mean he was really busy and needed to get onto the next client. Chances are it was "totaled" because that was quicker and easier. "Frame damage" is just an easy answer to give because most people don't know, and won't question it.

Clearly you have no clue

Old 02-18-2016 | 09:55 PM
Scrambler900
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnMn
More importantly the person at the key board at the insurance company that processes the adjusters paper work and cut's the check,, won't question the decision or the adjusters work.
It's really sad most folks can't grasp the concept.
And you don't either.

Old 02-18-2016 | 10:29 PM
Chekoz77
Tourer

Totaling out repairable vehicles is common practice. Especially with bikes. It usually comes down to a cost analysis. Cost to replace vs cost to repair. If cost to repair is close to the replacement value it gets totaled. Checking the "Frame damage" box just makes everyone's job easier. When is the last time you saw an adjuster disassembling a bike, throwing it on a rack and measuring for frame damage?

BTW I have owned some of these "totaled" bikes.

Last edited by Chekoz77; 02-18-2016 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-18-2016 | 11:41 PM
13dino
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

The OP is shouting "Buyer Beware" and to me that means the red flags are up due to issue. So I listen.

Past owner, being the OP, states insurance agency declared the bike to have frame damage. Sounds correct as according to past owner including witness statement that the bike was sliding and flopping down the freeway. That's not good for the bike's frame.
However, the current seller is saying that the bike has ""No frame" or even fork or body damage."" which definitely conflicts with what the OP stated.

Because of red flags being up, an experienced bike wrench will initially assess frame issue and become more readily aware of bikes true value versus a dumbo like myself thinking I just got the best deal in America on a beautiful big shiny H-D bike that makes me and girlfriend or wife's pocket book smile from ear to ear w/o being ripped off.

So, OP's statement of truth and concern to prospective buyers is valid and with merit. He is stating Buyer Beware in order for the red flags to fly, and for the inexperienced to walk away from this deal because it easily could financially go far down south unexpectedly quick.

I wonder if OP had more money in the bike than what he received by the insurance company.

Last edited by 13dino; 02-19-2016 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-18-2016 | 11:49 PM
WRKD4ITFLHX2008
|
Tourer

Let me further the details so while I'm sliding on the freeway, the bike catches the peg or crash bar I don't know what it caught on but the gets air born! The bike flips over me while I'm sliding nearly crushing my ***. The driver who stopped traffic who came to my aid is freaked out that I'm getting up off the ground, driver then trying to keep me on the ground telling me the bike landed on my back stay down I may have back injury. (according to the driver who stopped traffic ) the bike got air born.

Now after have the bike is trucked to my place, viewing the bike both sides of the bike had damage.
Both bags were toast, the bolts on the struts that hold the shocks from the top were bent , shifter and peg bent, brake and peg bent, pipe pushed up touching air cleaner, both sides of the handle bars bent, crash bar and lower fairing toast both sides. Crash bar the bolt that attaches to frame up top the bolt was attached to crash bar so the bolt was pulled out but still attached to crash bar. The tank also was damaged had scratches a little dent.

So at the bottom of the down tube near the motor mount where the crash bar attached. OK so this what I'm tripping on. So I'm told by adjuster and he is pointing out the area taking pictures telling me ( see right here the paint is flaking off the frame has a wrinkle and this what happens to the paint it will flake up if there is frame damage). So I'm no frame expert but i do rub my finger on the area then on the other side to feel the difference between each side. I can feel the little ripple,.

So if there was no frame damage I'm not understanding why he is telling me this. I've heard of bikes being totaled due to tank damage but other than the scratches and a 50 cent size dent in the the tank that the insurance adjuster totals a bike for minimal damage. He was emphasizing the frame damage laying on the ground taking multiple pictures from both sides like 8 pictures. Only 4 pictures of the of the bike left and right side, front and back.

If there was no frame damage why blow smoke up my ***?

Old 02-19-2016 | 12:18 AM
srt8
Road Captain

my bike was almost totaled out last year, all it had was paint damage. had to keep my damaged air cleaner and scuffed up seat to keep it from getting totaled out, it dosent take much before they want to total it out.

Quick Reply: Buyer beware My totaled bike on Craigslist for sale wow