Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chirping, rattling sound from my dyna is driving me loco

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:17 PM
MaineHD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chirping, rattling sound from my dyna is driving me loco

Hey, I was hoping that someone on here has run across this issue with their bike and can point me in the correct direction to fix it. The problem has been ongoing since last summer. What’s happening is at a certain RPM the bike makes a chirping metal on metal sound, much like a piece of the bike is loose and rattling. I thought that it may be from the plunger rode running from the forward control brake lever to the rear master cylinder. It seemed to have a bit of slop, so I addeda couple small nylon washers where the two pieces meet hoping that was the fix I was looking for. Now that I have my bike out, its still doing it, and quite frankly its embarrassing me a little to be driving down the road past people, having the bike make this chirping sound. The sound is defiantly coming from the front of the bike. Usually as I’m driving down the road and it starts happening, I will begin grabbing onto parts which I can reach, or applying pressure to parts like the pipe's heat shields with my boot, to see it that stops the chirping, nothing has worked so far...My next guess, is its something with the front caliper. I seem to remember some type of bulletin for front brake noises last year, perhaps a new rotor is in order....

I’m hoping someone else has run into this and can help,

Thanks

Old 05-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Nortonics
Cruiser
Default RE: Chirping, rattling sound from my dyna is driving me loco

I'll throw this out there because your explanation sounds exactly what I experienced on a Sporty for almost a year until I finally figured it out - drove me nuts too, grabbing onto everything on the front end trying to make it stop, and it would only happen sometimes, usually while doing 50+ down the road.

Ready for this - it was the frickin' fork-lock paddle lock key jingling against the metal key FOB on the key chain as it dangled from the ignition on the right side. The windshield deflected the sound just perfectly to make me think the sound was coming from somewhere closer to the front end. I coulda' chit...

Old 05-11-2007, 11:33 PM
mud
muderator
Received 9,110 Likes on 2,120 Posts

Maine,Can't answer your question from a similar personal experience,
or from this many miles away, but, I will offer a possible solution to
diagnosis and resolution.

I've been chasing mystery noises since the early 1960s.
Nowdays I use a stethascope. Way back when, I used a length of
tubing (fuel line, vac hose, garden hose, whatever was handy),
one end stuck in or near my ear, and the other end moves around
near likely then unlikely sources of the noise.

This can be done on a stationary, or, a moving vehicle or other machinery.

Might want to give it a try as a last resort.

mud

ORIGINAL: MaineHD

Hey, I was hoping that someone on here has run across this issue with their bike and can point me in the correct direction to fix it. The problem has been ongoing since last summer. What’s happening is at a certain RPM the bike makes a chirping metal on metal sound, much like a piece of the bike is loose and rattling. I thought that it may be from the plunger rode running from the forward control brake lever to the rear master cylinder. It seemed to have a bit of slop, so I addeda couple small nylon washers where the two pieces meet hoping that was the fix I was looking for. Now that I have my bike out, its still doing it, and quite frankly its embarrassing me a little to be driving down the road past people, having the bike make this chirping sound. The sound is defiantly coming from the front of the bike. Usually as I’m driving down the road and it starts happening, I will begin grabbing onto parts which I can reach, or applying pressure to parts like the pipe's heat shields with my boot, to see it that stops the chirping, nothing has worked so far...My next guess, is its something with the front caliper. I seem to remember some type of bulletin for front brake noises last year, perhaps a new rotor is in order....

Thanks

Old 05-12-2007, 11:31 PM
hksb
Cruiser

That's a really good post. I'll keep it in mind.[sm=goodidea.gif][sm=thanx.gif]

ORIGINAL: mudpuddle

Maine,Can't answer your question from a similar personal experience,
or from this many miles away, but, I will offer a possible solution to
diagnosis and resolution.

I've been chasing mystery noises since the early 1960s.
Nowdays I use a stethascope. Way back when, I used a length of
tubing (fuel line, vac hose, garden hose, whatever was handy),
one end stuck in or near my ear, and the other end moves around
near likely then unlikely sources of the noise.

This can be done on a stationary, or, a moving vehicle or other machinery.

Might want to give it a try as a last resort.

mud

ORIGINAL: MaineHD

Thanks

Old 05-13-2007, 12:01 AM
rocklayer2
Road Captain

My road kings rear final drive belt started making a chirping noise about 100 miles before it broke.

Old 05-13-2007, 02:44 AM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

my 06 dyna has the same type of noise i only hear it when i am really pooring the throttle to her . i told the dealer and of course they cant get it to do it but i can

Old 05-13-2007, 03:07 AM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: NEONNIGHT34609

my 06 dyna has the same type of noise i only hear it when i am really pooring the throttle to her . i told the dealer and of course they cant get it to do it but i can
I hate to say it but I have the same noise occasionally on my 2006 also, when you figure it let me know, and vice versa. However it really is not that anoying since I never ride it hard... lol.. I always forget about it...

Old 05-13-2007, 03:10 AM
NEONNIGHT34609
Road Captain

humm weird i have taken just about everything off that i can think of thinking it was something rubbing somewhere. but the sound is always there .. it sounds like its coming from the left side of the bike and in talking to other bikers i was told that it could be some type of bearing that the 06 has been having troubles with ? to me it does not sound like its internal but its really hard to tell ..
ORIGINAL: dajam_fxdli

I hate to say it but I have the same noise occasionally on my 2006 also, when you figure it let me know, and vice versa. However it really is not that anoying since I never ride it hard... lol.. I always forget about it...

Old 05-13-2007, 03:24 AM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser

humm weird i have taken just about everything off that i can think of thinking it was something rubbing somewhere. but the sound is always there .. it sounds like its coming from the left side of the bike and in talking to other bikers i was told that it could be some type of bearing that the 06 has been having troubles with ? to me it does not sound like its internal but its really hard to tell ..
ORIGINAL: dajam_fxdli

I hear ya... I hope it is not a bearing issue....The only thing I have not actually removed is the gas tank, and the gauges... That would be next for me. Next time I hear it, I am going to try and remember exactly what I am doing, maybe... lol

Old 05-13-2007, 05:35 AM
StaticSag
Intermediate

My brother and I both have had a very similar sounding problem on our 06 dynas. Inside the headlight are some brads that had came loose. They can be tightened sometimes but the dealer replaced both of our headlights. It took a month of looking before we found it. If you feel comfortable doing this, when you get to that RPM and the chirping stops, reach up and put some good pressure on the headlight and kinda pull back on it and see if it stops.

Hope this helps...

Quick Reply: Chirping, rattling sound from my dyna is driving me loco