Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna Dual disc Conversion, V-rod wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 02:42 PM
ymphd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyna Dual disc Conversion, V-rod wheel 49mm Forks

I've found previous posts on this subject that didn't quite cover the main purpose of a dual disc conversion. Which is performance from better braking feel and less torsional forces on one side of the forks. In no way am I stating my way is superior or "cheaper", but is a different route to go about it. And Super easy to accomplish. For my personal opinion, my way suits the purpose of dual disc's the best. From the post's I've read, people have used spoked wheels and changed out their right side slider for one with brake mounts. Then added another rotor to the right side of the hub (which usually has the holes already). What i did instead of this is added a V-rod wheel. Looks way more bad-***, and has performance oriented rotors. I will give all the steps that i can remember and can answer questions about other parts of this process

https://www.yalesmotorcycleparts.com/

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Dual disc Conversion, V-rod wheel-bike.jpg  

Last edited by ymphd; 02-02-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: wrong title
Old 02-02-2016, 02:47 PM
ymphd
1st Gear
Default Step #1

This in no way is a cheap alternative, but isn't heavy on the wallet either. First things first you need to find the extra parts for this conversion

*Right side Slider (From either a Fatbob or Lowrider. most models have dual disc now so its not hard to find).
I bought mine from Harley Davidson and went with the fatbob because they had no others in stock.
*V-Rod wheel (The dealer I went to, had a set laying around that he Split up for me Thanks Kane's Harley Davidson® Calgary, AB).
it looks like a 2009 V-Rod muscle rim which is the same year as my dyna, which also came with the new scorcher tires
*Tire (Mine came with the tire, but with a V-Rod rim it fits a 120/70 tire)
the tire size is another reason this dual disc set-up is awesome.
*Dual disc Brake system (From a bagger or Dual disc Dyna)
another easy take-off part to find for cheap. NOTE: Make sure its 11/16th Bore master cylinder
*Spacers (for the axle, My Shop had a drawer with tons of different thicknesses).
This is where things get a little complicated, but you can always measure the space and get the spacer machined. The wheel sits in the middle of the forks.
*Fork Rebuild kit/ Send for to shop to get slider put together
*Brake Fluid (Brakes should be bled)
And brake pads should be checked.

https://www.yalesmotorcycleparts.com/

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Dual disc Conversion, V-rod wheel-bike-3-.jpg  

Last edited by ymphd; 02-02-2016 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 03:41 PM
ymphd
1st Gear
Default Step #2

Putting everything together. The only thing that gave me some trouble was the right side caliper fitment, it was pressing against one of the brake pads. Not sure why, I was also rushing because I had to get the bike ready for Sturgis. So to stop the one side of the right caliper from rubbing the rotor i filed the caliper mount spots a little (Carefully). I don't remember how much.

*I just make to make something clear, if something doesn't feel safe don't ride untill it is. I tested and made sure the bike is working the way its supposed to. and rode it hard as it could go in the corners scrapping pegs the whole way and the brakes have no signs on hazardous defects.*

Attached Thumbnails Dyna Dual disc Conversion, V-rod wheel-bike-2-.jpg  
Old 02-02-2016, 04:01 PM
b1u
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That entire set up looks sexy! Well done sir.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Looks great. What did you do for the rear?

Old 02-02-2016, 09:45 PM
big ron
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice work, like the larger tire. What did your forks come off of?