Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attaching saddlebags

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007 | 11:02 AM
insnedrmr
|
Advanced
Default Attaching saddlebags

Im looking to pick up some universal saddlebags, and see the the majority of them are throwover, and tie down. What exactly to they mean by tie down? What would it tie to?

Old 05-10-2007 | 11:22 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Attaching saddlebags

The bags usually come with a nylon or leather tie attached to the bag somewhere which can be tied down to the shock mount or other are to keep the bags in place and from flopping around at high speed. If you have a 2-up seat, the center connecting material for the bags can go over the fender and then mount the seat over it to keep them from sliding, but they'll still need to be tied down to keep them from flapping in the wind at road speed.

Old 05-10-2007 | 12:10 PM
insnedrmr
|
Advanced

Would i definately need a rack behind it to keep it from rubbing the wheel? This i what ive been told lately.

heres the bags im getting. Cheap I know...but they are bags.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/River...QQcmdZViewItem

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:59 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

You don't necessarily need a rack, what model Harley are you putting them on? Solo or 2-up seat?

Don't worry about cheap, my Willie and Max bags were about $100.00 to my door. I don't use them all the time and could not see spending 3x that for a really nice set of leather bags that would wind up collecting dust on a shelf most of the time.

Old 05-10-2007 | 09:24 PM
insnedrmr
|
Advanced

Its a 2 up seat

Old 05-10-2007 | 09:29 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

Most of the bags have a leather or fake leather strap connecting them that is backed with a rubber material to keep it from sliding over the fender. If you put this on first, adjust the bags where you want them and them attach the seat, they won't go anywhere. It should then be an easy thing to find a shock mount or other place to tie the bags down to. If you do ride 2-up, you may want to put down a piece of cloth under the connecting piece for the bags so that if the seat moves around at all, it doesn't scuff or mark up the paint on the top of the fender.

I mounted mine with a set of Easy Brackets, they were about $149.00 delivered to my door. Pretty nicely made and go on and off the bike in 30 second or less, leave only a small stainless steel post on the fender struts and the other bonus is that they lock to the bike making it very hard to steal the bags.

Old 05-11-2007 | 12:49 PM
JRK5892
Banned

I do this:
went on ebay and ordered a set of small slant throw over bags... then i use my detachable sissy bar docking braces (side braces) I flip them upside down and use U bolt that i coated in shrink wrap to protect the chrome I run those u bolts into the bag and use large washers and Wing nuts to install... the support will keep the bag away from the tire no problem... i also put two small holes at the front of the bag so that installing the bags is a bit easier... once they are on and locked in i zip tie the front of the bag to the brace for support and that way someone can not just unclip the bags and walk away... LOOKS great and cost me 25 bucks for the bags! that is alot better than 500 for detachable bags... if you would like to see exactly how i did it i will take some pictures and email them to you! it is a awesome an CHEAP way to get bags... I only run one bag when i am going out riding for a long weekend but for LONG trips i still use sissy bar bag the big ones that expand.... just fit more and i get a back rest! let me know if you want those pics i will email them to you! I also make fork bag radios that are AWESOME as well and you can not tell they are even there

Old 05-11-2007 | 12:52 PM
JRK5892
Banned

here are a few more of the Stereo

Old 05-11-2007 | 12:55 PM
JRK5892
Banned

sorry

Old 05-11-2007 | 01:02 PM
JRK5892
Banned

LAST POST I PROMISE!!!! i found a pic in my PC of my bike with the bag on it!

Quick Reply: Attaching saddlebags