Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Rear Wheel Removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Jughugger
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! Rear Wheel Removal

I'm in the middle of removing the rear wheel on my 06 WG, to replace the tire with a 180. This is my first time at trying this on my own. I've followed the service manual to the T, but now I'm at the point of removing the axle, and the service manual does not mention how to get the axle out. The left nut, washer, and keeper are off. The rear brake is still on the rotor, but I'm assuming that once the axle is out, the wheel and rotor will just rotate out of the caliper.

My main question is, how do I get the axle out? Do I just pound it from the left side with a rubber mallet of some sort? Should the wheel be off the ground when doing this, or should it rest on the ground for support? Do I need to loosen the right side axle nut that is located near the exhaust? My suspension is unbolted on the bottom on both sides, so the swing arm is basically just hanging there with the wheel and drive belt. Thanks for any info. I'm sure once I've done it, it won't be a problem on future rear tire changes.

Jim

Old 05-09-2007, 11:41 PM
jt1965
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help! Rear Wheel Removal

If your rear axle is like mine was and I suspect it is then it is probabaly rusted in since the MOCO (and I hope they are watching) Did not put a nickels worth of anti-seize on the axle. It two guys actually 3 1 to hold the bike, 1 holding the piece of wood and mine belt and 1 more swinging a big sledge hammer.

Good luck I ended up taking mine to a local indy and he got it off and chareged me 65 for that and to clean up the axle install new bearing and mount the tire. Now I can get the tire off no problem but it has actaul anti-seize on it now.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

What he said above and you might want to buy a new rear axle kit with new bearings as well.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:25 AM
Jughugger
Cruiser

Mine has a coating of anti-seize on it, but that sucker won't budge! I'm afraid to beat it too hard, and screw up the end of my axle threads. Anyone have any tips on getting the rear axle out? Bike is only about 6 months old and never ridden in rain, or on salty roads.

Old 05-10-2007, 01:23 AM
StaticSag
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I screw the nut back on a few threads then get the axle moving with a dead blow in order to keep the threads in tact. Once the axle is stuck out a bit I use a slide hammer puller like this.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/42...mer-Puller?s=4

Be sure to clean up the axle with some very fine sandpaper or scotchbrite and use anti seize when puting it back together.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:32 AM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

From reading these boards I was lucky with my 06 WG. The axle came out fairly easy. I use a punch and a good sized hammer to knock the axle thru. I recommend using a good size punch but of course smaller then the axle dia. and hit the punch driving the axle out with a good sized hammer. If it still doesn't come out try using a air gun on the bolt side to spin it free and repeat hitting the punch.

Oh and I had a floor jack under the tire to keep it up, then when ready I lowered tire from bike. I also left suspension in place, found it totally not needed to be disassembled like instructions suggest.

Wish you well,

Josh

Old 05-10-2007, 11:40 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever method you use, do make sure you coat the axle with anti-seize before putting it back through. Take care to wipe it down once it is out, run your hand over it to make sure there are no burs (light sanding should remove them) and then take note of where the axle spacers go. Reverse the process and you're on your way and you'll know that the axle has been installed properly.

Once you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take more than10-15minutesto take the wheel off next time including getting the bike jacked up, etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Jughugger
Cruiser

Thanks everyone for the information. I'm about to go out to the garage and start pounding. Will try and get some photos of the new 180 once I get it back on.