Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What made you choose Apes vs T Bars and vice versa?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 12:27 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Default What made you choose Apes vs T Bars and vice versa?

Doing an exhaustive search on the site leads to more questions, so here it is. What made you guys go with Apes vs TBars or vice versa. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on bars and I keep going back and forth.

My choices are down to Wild 1 Outlawz 14's in black, and LA Choppers 13' Club Bars (they are different than other T Bars, which is why I like those). Both are priced about right online and I like the looks of both, but can't have both...lol.

I will eventually get a quarter fairing, and the style of riding I do is mostly mountains with twisty-type-kiss-your-a$$ turns. A lot of crotch rockets come through our county for that very reason.

Thanks...

Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I like the apes because I can roll them forward or back. With some of my seats I Like to change the position of the bars.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:43 PM
BFMCdyna
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Whtwolf14
What made you guys go with Apes vs TBars or vice versa.
Here's my 2 cents. What I like about T bars vs. apes of the same height is the width and the pull back. The apes that I have ridden with seemed too wide with too much pullback for comfort. My arms were spread and my elbows were bent and I always felt like I was hanging on to the bike which led to fatigue. With T bars my hands are closer together (27.5" width) and the pullback puts me in more of a forward leaning position that is more comfortable. If you like the LA Chopper Club bars, maybe consider LA Chopper miter bars? I had them on a bike and liked them because they were the dimensions of Tbars, but different. Sort of an "H Bar"

Attached Thumbnails What made you choose Apes vs T Bars and vice versa?-miter-bars.jpg  
Old 01-20-2016, 01:44 PM
AQA101
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

T-Bars are are significantly more stable, more precise when pressing or pulling them, resulting in more precise steering.

Old 01-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Always loved the look. Once you get them you'll love the ride.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:38 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by AQA101
T-Bars are are significantly more stable, more precise when pressing or pulling them, resulting in more precise steering.

That is simply a fable that has been passedon for years mostly by people that have never reallyspent many miles with apes. Bars by themselves make zero difference in handling, it is the rider and how it sits them on the bike and their comfort level in any situation.
I much prefer apes and ran them for years, but as I got older I needed my hands lower for circulation reasons on long rides. This is why I run my own custom designed bars, they fit me perfectly.
It all comes down to how the bars feel for you on your bike, the more comfortably they position you and your hands, the better the ride will feel.
Having fabricated numerous custom bars, I would suggest you try them on for size before you pull the trigger. Go to a couple different shops and see what they have and if you can sit on a bike or fitting rig to see how they feel. Lots of shops these days have a rig set up to allow fitting of different bars to see how they feel.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:40 PM
RR611
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

T Bars just look more badass than Apes. Thats why I did them! No but really, I feel with T bars I can maneuver the bike quicker and have more precise control over the steering and because they are a bit narrower than apes they are better for lane splitting and traffic riding.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:52 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,723 Likes on 1,405 Posts

For me, it's all about comfort. I find the stock bars have a pitch/angle that scrunches up my wrists. Bars with a flatter pitch/angle allow for a wider stance, and also give me better control of the bike. Having said that, too flat of an angle also presents it's own issues...for me.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:05 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

Apes .... they are uber comfortable for me. You just need to be ergonomically setup. Most riders do not set up their ride properly when it comes to ergonomics. My apes have my arms perfectly straight which gives me a very relaxed ride. I also can carve at good speeds with them without any discomfort or awkwardness.

Go with the setup that is most comfortable for you. Everyone's dimensions and ergonomics are different.

Old 01-20-2016, 04:36 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

99% of dynas are blacked out and run t-bars. I ran chrome apes to give my bike that old school look and look a little different. I think I succeeded...

Quick Reply: What made you choose Apes vs T Bars and vice versa?