Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 fat bob shock options/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 11:23 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 09 fat bob shock options/opinions

So I have an 09 fatbob with stock shocks. I believe they are 12" stock. Anyway, I don't like the look of them and they are a bit beat up. The bike had lowering blocks on it, but it would bottom out with me on it (about 200lb). I since took them out.

Anyway, I was looking to spend at most $300 on shocks. I know there are better performance ones out there, but I don't ride real hard or long. I like the price of the burleys and lots of ppl like them, but it seems like they are mainly FXDB owners, and I think the shocks are shorter than my FXDF, so going to 10.5 might be too extreme for me.

That leads me to the progressive 412's. I like the look and the price is ok. I know some people love them, some don't.

Are there any other options in that price range other than these two brands?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:09 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

My opinion, but I think by limiting yourself to 300... you've already found the shocks in that price range.

I've been running Progressive 412 HD full covers for about 5 years... I've never bottomed out... they are more like a slightly forgiving solid rod than a shock.. lol... but I like a firm ride.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:23 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

Thanks archergodwin - I agree, I didn't find much else, but was curious if I was missing a decent brand.

I probably wouldn't get the HD shock but rather the standard one.

Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,014 Likes on 762 Posts

If I remember from the Progressive site, they recommend the hd shocks for loads over 250 lbs, so you should be ok with the standard ones (unless you will put on a lot of weight over the winter). I don't know if you're looking to lower the bike or improve the handling. Anything shorter than the stock 12" and you run the risk of bottoming out, but with the preload set up high you might be fine. If you go with slightly longer shocks it won't look much different but should be more comfortable.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:14 PM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

I'm not concerned about improving handling from stock really. I'm a pretty laid back rider - if I want to push the limits I get the old KZ out for a beating. When I got my FXDF it had lowering blocks and I loved the look, but the bottoming out caused me to take them out. I was told if get blocks that lower it 1" you run more risk of bottoming out than if you get shocks 1" shorter.

I still have my blocks - is there a way you can tell how much they will lower it based on the hole placement and such? There are not markings on them to even tell me a brand name, let alone model.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:18 PM
HrdNox
Stellar HDF Member
Received 213 Likes on 183 Posts

http://www.traxxion.com/Bitubo-Twin-Shocks-WMB-Series/
There is some info floating around out there on these.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:25 PM
bigbadpoppa
Road Master
Received 128 Likes on 116 Posts

at $300, I'd be more worried about getting your spine/back jolted on bumps. I agree, most of us buy these bikes for cruising (vs ripping it through a corner at mach speeds). Problem with cheap shocks, it doesn't improve that "cushion" feel ride. $300 = Aesthetic change. $500+ is when you start getting some comfort/performance changes.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:27 PM
Tat2dale
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Drag Specialties brand shocks are made by progressive it even has there name on the box.
You might want to check them out.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:45 AM
apblingAEW
Road Captain

So, would the quality of a progressive 412 series at least be the same as stock? I definitely don't want to spend $300 for a cosmetic increase, but a quality decrease.

Old 01-22-2016, 10:29 AM
billib1954
Road Master
Received 354 Likes on 233 Posts

I went with the HD 412's, stock 12" length on my 2012 fatbob. I weigh about 170. I found comfort improved over stock considerably with preload on lowest setting. Does transmit a little more "shock" on bigger bumps in the road than stock, but well worth the trade off.

Quick Reply: 09 fat bob shock options/opinions