Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 10:24 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Lots of interest here for the look and style of fairing but I’m more interested to know about function.

How well to these fxrt fairings work in terms of wind protection and comfort? I’ve had a road glide which obviously has a similar fairing but found without lowers you get get a lot of wind buffet coming underneath the fairing. Which made me curious why lots on here have the fxrt style fairing but no lowers fitted?

Old 09-25-2021, 07:39 AM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Arseclown
Lots of interest here for the look and style of fairing but I’m more interested to know about function.

How well to these fxrt fairings work in terms of wind protection and comfort? I’ve had a road glide which obviously has a similar fairing but found without lowers you get get a lot of wind buffet coming underneath the fairing. Which made me curious why lots on here have the fxrt style fairing but no lowers fitted?
The FXRT fairing has been performing perfectly on my bike. I commute on the interstate just about every day and take long-ish (100-400 mile) work trips occasionally. The wind management is spot on with the right windshield (I'm running a Clearview 11" recurve with a touring spoiler). I didn't bother with the lowers because I don't get much buffeting from under the fairing and I wanted to keep plenty of air around the engine. I do have some soft loweres I put on the engine guards when it gets colder out.

Old 09-25-2021, 08:11 AM
Trvegiibz
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a fxrd with lowers.
They wind protection is top notch on upper body and legs, but the wind protection on the head is terrible. It's so noisy that's annoying.

I ordered a klockwerks 12" curved windshield, I'm pretty confident on its capacity to help for head protection.

The lowers actually redirect the wind directly onto the engine making my engine temperature colder than without but during hot days my legs are fried like chicken wings.

This fxrd fairing canceled like 95% of my wobble and that wasn't expected so I'm more than happy.

I put some speakers in it, it's pretty nice.

The following users liked this post:
Chicago Ken (02-10-2022)
Old 10-14-2021, 02:54 PM
Arseclown
Road Captain
Received 181 Likes on 100 Posts

Thanks to all who have shared input and pics. Thanks also to those who provided answers to my question about function in terms of wind protection/fatigue which is good to know.

After reading all of this it seems there are rwd, deviant, jd, bmc, bigbear and villain2hero as the main suppliers. Varying prices, quality, subtle differences, customer service, materials, installation kit and ease. Some sell lowers too and others don’t. Some also sell in finished vivid black paint. I noticed via Google and eBay searches there are also lowers being made and sold from India?

Most are exxy so if I’m spending a lot and getting it shipped outside of the USA at a decent cost, I’m inclined to spend at the upper end if necessary to get a good quality, “finished” fairing and lowers kit with everything already painted and ready to install with minimal stuffing around. Wanting my cake and to eat it too so if there are more than one option to what I want, it’d be gold to get some advice on the best value for money option and supplier. Thanks

Old 10-14-2021, 03:05 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 6,109 Likes on 2,583 Posts

I had an 84 FXRT, replaced by an FXRS. Am I the only one that thinks it looks like R2D2 is mounted on the front of the bike? Especially when its the blue and silver paint scheme?

Old 10-17-2021, 10:51 PM
jakenavy
Stage IV
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread really helped me pull the trigger on doing a RT fairing on my 94 FXLR, so I figured i’d post it. Did a pretty big overhaul on the bike last year. Just need to figure out some front turn signals. Alpine halo single din stereo with a floating screen. Really happy with the way this bike turned out. BMC fairing and lowers

The following 6 users liked this post by jakenavy:
Arseclown (10-20-2021), Chicago Ken (10-21-2021), fat bastard 68 (10-19-2021), GREENOHAWK69 (02-08-2022), Greg55_99 (10-18-2021), TOE_CUTTER (10-23-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2021, 07:34 AM
fat bastard 68
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You gotta show some more pics of your bike with close-ups of the inside of the fairing, looks like a beast!!!!

jakenavy (10-21-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 12:03 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 743 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenavy
And the "Great First Post Pic" award goes to......Jakenavy!

The following 2 users liked this post by Suede Blue Man:
fat bastard 68 (10-19-2021), jakenavy (11-01-2021)
Old 10-24-2021, 06:37 AM
fat bastard 68
Tourer

I like how you've mounted the gauges so you can see the Alpine stereo with a floating screen (I had to Google it) as well. What size is the screen? 9" or 11"? I assume you measure diagonally? You said it was an RT fairing but would look great on an RD fairing with the gauge housing to block the sun too.

I saw someone on Insta... that had a clip with two GoPro cameras screen in screen one front-facing and the other rear-facing and thought that'd be pretty cool to have displayed in real-time AND recording at the same time. Plenty of shitty drivers round my way.

I'll see if I can find it again and maybe it's possible to link it here by editing.

jakenavy (10-31-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 10:37 AM
fat bastard 68
Tourer

Originally Posted by fat bastard 68
I'll see if I can find it again and maybe it's possible to link it here by editing.
I found it, but can't edit the last post https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...Xj-LdtsO4buroE

jakenavy (10-31-2021)

Quick Reply: The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread