Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2021, 07:06 PM
610Low
Tourer
Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Finally get my add my two-cents. Went with the Villain2Hero FXRT set up since Im all about saving money.....Lets just get this outta the way, IF I had to do this again I probably would go for a different company like JD Fabs and ordered some Slim Clam bags to go with the over all set up.

That being said, I did NOT do the install on this. I received the fairing painted but not pre-drilled and I really didn't trust myself drilling into it after spending all that money. There were no instructions, and the instructions you can get V2H to give you is 3 screen shots from some random number with no photos to help you along, but I hear this is par for the course for all of them that aren't RWD. The overall install took a collective 6.5 hours or more spread over 2 weeks. with 4 different sets of hands. There are quite a few misalignments and Ive got a better paint guy at home I could have used. I also ordered a set of his lowers to go with the fairing but couldn't use them due to fitment issues there as well. I dont know if they'll need to be trimmed or I may have to buy another set from somewhere else. The headlight cover holes will need to be drilled wider and have some well nuts added for a snugger fit since right now they re just screws directly into the fiberglass.

Word of advice, dont be the dummy like me. If you decide to go with V2H for your set up, make sure whatever 7" headlight you purchase comes with the adapter ring as its not supplied with the fairing kit. I haven't gotten to put any miles on it or have a riding review as Im waiting for a headlight ring and my headlight that I did buy will have to have the connector swapped for the 4 slot female connector from my go headlight

Old 05-02-2021, 09:39 PM
MSgt1371
Cruiser

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 610Low
Finally get my add my two-cents. Went with the Villain2Hero FXRT set up since Im all about saving money.....Lets just get this outta the way, IF I had to do this again I probably would go for a different company like JD Fabs and ordered some Slim Clam bags to go with the over all set up.

That being said, I did NOT do the install on this. I received the fairing painted but not pre-drilled and I really didn't trust myself drilling into it after spending all that money. There were no instructions, and the instructions you can get V2H to give you is 3 screen shots from some random number with no photos to help you along, but I hear this is par for the course for all of them that aren't RWD. The overall install took a collective 6.5 hours or more spread over 2 weeks. with 4 different sets of hands. There are quite a few misalignments and Ive got a better paint guy at home I could have used. I also ordered a set of his lowers to go with the fairing but couldn't use them due to fitment issues there as well. I dont know if they'll need to be trimmed or I may have to buy another set from somewhere else. The headlight cover holes will need to be drilled wider and have some well nuts added for a snugger fit since right now they re just screws directly into the fiberglass.

Word of advice, dont be the dummy like me. If you decide to go with V2H for your set up, make sure whatever 7" headlight you purchase comes with the adapter ring as its not supplied with the fairing kit. I haven't gotten to put any miles on it or have a riding review as Im waiting for a headlight ring and my headlight that I did buy will have to have the connector swapped for the 4 slot female connector from my go headlight

I didn't have any issues with the V2H mounting kit. Used it with my Conely's fairing that didn't have any of the holes drilled. That being said, I've mounted a couple different FXRT fairing from different companies and found it to be pretty self explanatory. Looks good on your bike though!

Old 05-02-2021, 10:46 PM
610Low
Tourer

Originally Posted by MSgt1371
I didn't have any issues with the V2H mounting kit. Used it with my Conely's fairing that didn't have any of the holes drilled. That being said, I've mounted a couple different FXRT fairing from different companies and found it to be pretty self explanatory. Looks good on your bike though!
I think the issues are more the mold and not the kit as some things are just a little "off" I guess you could say. But my forks also hit the side support just about 1/2"-1" before the fork stop in the tree. I'll find out how it rides once the headlight is worked out. Got the headlight in the fairing after the ring adapter came into, but the connectors will have to be swapped or ill have to splice somewhere as the light I got is not plug & play. But I didn't want to spend $250+ on a 7" headlight

Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

I've been thinking about making a GPS mount to go on the inside of my fairing in the center section (area indicated by black square in image below). I've seen a few images on Facebook with GPS units mounted there. Before I fab something up, has anyone seen a purchased component for this purpose? Open to any details if anyone has done this here.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:20 PM
MSgt1371
Cruiser

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HuntWhenever
I've been thinking about making a GPS mount to go on the inside of my fairing in the center section (area indicated by black square in image below). I've seen a few images on Facebook with GPS units mounted there. Before I fab something up, has anyone seen a purchased component for this purpose? Open to any details if anyone has done this here.
Haven't seen one, but I'm sure something could be easily designed in a CAD program and 3d printed though.

Old 05-03-2021, 08:38 PM
HuntWhenever
Road Warrior
Received 862 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by MSgt1371
Haven't seen one, but I'm sure something could be easily designed in a CAD program and 3d printed though.
That's my initial plan...draw it up in SolidWorks and have it 3D printed. We have a couple local vendors we use at work that makes quality robot tooling for us occassionally.

I found a rider on Facebook's Sport Glide group that had a GPS mounted there. I shot him a message asking about the mounting method. Hopefully he answers back.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:13 PM
610Low
Tourer

No reason to post other than to bump this thread and bc I waited so long to be able to contribute.

The following 2 users liked this post by 610Low:
jtourche (07-29-2021), robarosa (06-28-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 12:26 AM
Trvegiibz
Novice
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

I'm looking towards those fairings and have few questions.

I think I'll buy the BMC or the deviant fabrication.
I like the fact that the BMC comes Ith everything needed, and I like the fact that the deviant fabrication has gloves boxes.
I read mixed reviews on deviant fabrication bracket is it ok now?

I'm running a gpr stabilizer with neck clamp, will I have some fitment issues?

Also for the lowers I'm running a jagg oil cooler mounted on the frame and a bungking crashbar, do you think I'll have fitment issues?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-08-2021, 07:54 AM
PaladinL13
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Trvegiibz
I read mixed reviews on deviant fabrication bracket is it ok now?
I've never read any negatives about the DevFab bracket. As far as I know, it's the only one out there that's actually adjustable. The on my FXR is a solid piece so far.

I'm running a gpr stabilizer with neck clamp, will I have some fitment issues?
You didn't mention what year and model bike you're trying to fit it on, but probably not.
I have a Defiant Fabrication FXRD fairing on my FXR along with a GPR stabilizer, and there are no fitment issues. When I asked DevFab about fitting a GPR on their 06 - 17 Dyna mount he told me that it would clear without issue. I didn't use his fairing for my Dyna, but based on his mount design, it looks like it shouldn't be an issue.

Also for the lowers I'm running a jagg oil cooler mounted on the frame and a bungking crashbar, do you think I'll have fitment issues?
Again, it depends in part on what bike you have.
I took the lowers off my FXR, but I have a Jagg low mount oil cooler and BungKing bar on it.
On a FXR, The lowers will clear the BungKing just fine, but you'll have to fabricate your own lower brackets since they compete for the same mounting holes on the frame.
On a Dyna, the lowers will NOT clear the BungKing. Some guys have used a hole saw on the lowers to make room for the bar to go through on them.
My Jagg fits, but it's a low mount that sits in front of the voltage regulator. The side frame mounted one will not work regardless of what year/model Dyna or FXR you've got.

Old 07-09-2021, 09:42 AM
PaladinL13
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PaladinL13
I've never read any negatives about the DevFab bracket. As far as I know, it's the only one out there that's actually adjustable. The on my FXR is a solid piece so far.
Well, I might need to bite my tongue here. Last night, there was a post floating around Instagram from a guy that had his Deviant Fabrications FXRD fairing crack in several places. According to Joe from DevFab, the guy didn't use the lower support brackets, but I don't know any of the details or if that's true or not.
Jeremy Rose of Hairy Customs of San Diego shared some information to an FXLRS Facebook group about two other guys on top of the one I mentioned having issues with the DevFab fairings. Not sure if they're all fairing issues or some brackets, too.

Bare Knuckle Paul just built an awesome looking FXLRS using a complete DevFab setup, and at least so far he hasn't run into issues.
In general, the whole FXRT fairing process is a ton of money to drop on what could amount to be a gamble, so just know that going into it.

Quick Reply: The FXRT / FXRP "Style" Dyna Fairing Thread