Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Low Rider S

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 05:09 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by trmat79
I'm running V&H slip ons and no tuner and it runs fine......no issues what so ever
Thanks. Are the V & H's loud? I guess one's opinion of loudness depends on personal preference.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:10 PM
jcanrun
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Benito
^^^ I ran my bike with VH slip ons w/out a tuner for awhile and the bike ran fine. I added the tuner to hopefully gain the benefits tuners are supposed to provide, i.e., fuel mapping, cooler engine, some/minimal performance increase...

To be honest, I did not notice much improvement upon adding the FP3.

On another note, took the Dyna out after running the Fatboy for weeks, and what a beast the FXDLS is to the Fatboy w/the 103. The 110ci in the FXDLS really makes a big difference in performance. Big engine in a lighter frame is marvelous!

Cheers/B
Thanks. Are the V & H's loud? I guess one's opinion of loudness depends on personal preference.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:15 AM
trmat79
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcanrun
I've had a lot of bikes over the years from Harleys to custom choppers with straight pipes to BMWs and honestly I think the V&Hs slip ons are a nice middle ground. I think they rumble the way the MOCO should have sold the bike if that makes sense. I am not sure if I will go to a full system down the line with a tuner but for a couple hundred bucks at the time of purchase to me it was perfect...not expensive and makes the bike not sound like an angry sewing machine

The following users liked this post:
jcanrun (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:09 AM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed. I'll give you my opinion/experiences (as u know we all have one, lol).

The VHSS slip ons were too loud/obnoxious for my taste. I immediately noticed some low end torque loss, compared to stock. I felt a bit embarrassed/guilty when I started the bike, and when accelerating, the noise just intensified. Due to these two issues, I purchased the quiet baffles off of eBay. The install was quick and easy. I regained the low end torque loss, and the bike still sounds good. Being a good neighbor is important to me...

I've owned numerous pipes and to me the original VH 2/1 & the Supertrapp 2/1 & the D&D 2/1 were the best performance pipes. Low end power/torque was phenomenal. I prefer low end torque over high/top end speed/performance. I was not a fan of the Thunderheader 2/1. Ugly as heck, sounded weird & blued quickly...

Favorite slip ons are Rush (choice of 3 baffle sizes/sound). V&H are good, but so were my Pythons...

GL,

B

Last edited by Benito; 11-17-2016 at 02:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jcanrun (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:42 AM
trmat79
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benito
Agreed. I'll give you my opinion/experiences (as u know we all have one, lol).

The VHSS slip ons were too loud/obnoxious for my taste. I immediately noticed some low end torque loss, compared to stock. I felt a bit embarrassed/guilty when I started the bike, and when accelerating, the noise just intensified. Due to these two issues, I purchased the quiet baffles off of eBay. The install was quick and easy. I regained the low end torque loss, and the bike still sounds good. Being a good neighbor is important to me...

I've owned numerous pipes and to me the original VH 2/1 & the Supertrapp 2/1 were the best performance pipes. Low end power/torque was phenomenal. I prefer low end torque over high/top end speed/performance. I was not a fan of the Thunderheader 2/1. Ugly as heck, sounded weird & blued quickly...

Favorite slip ons are Rush (choice of 3 baffle sizes/sound). V&H are good, but so were my Pythons...

GL,

B
Valid point..I should mention that I ride full helmet all the time and usually listen to music ..... so maybe they are louder than I realize...

Old 11-19-2016, 08:59 AM
blackfriar
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

For my fellow S owners, if I went with just slip ons mufflers and NOT a full exhaust swap, such as the Cobra RPT3 or V&H Slash Cut, do you think I would need to do any type of remapping or tuning due to the slip ons?

From my research, usually you don't have to do any mapping for slip ons if the air intake is not changed. But in our case, we already have the heavy breather. I was once told by the dealership that our stock mufflers are upgraded performance mufflers from the factory, but never received any kind of verification of this. They look like normal mufflers to me.

I know our bikes are lean from the mothership and so all new bikes should be tuned to run better, but I'm not looking for that advise. It runs just fine to me as is, just want more exhaust sound with the added benefit of not having to remove the mufflers when pulling the rear wheel and for looks too.
I have the Cobra RPT 3's and did not have to do a retune. They sound a lot like the Screamin' Eagle slipons I had on my 04 FXDL and that is what I wanted. They have a nice rumble, but they are not too loud. I like they way they look on this bike, too.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:06 AM
ETMike
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has any one put the Screamin Eagle slip ons for Dyna on their Low Rider S ? Part #80601-09A, in the new 2017 HD catalog, page 516. I don't like extreme loud and really like the looks of the exhaust on my 2016 LRS but want a little rumble ! I would like to stay with Screamin Eagle if possible. However when I go to HD site and look up this SE slip ons it says that it will not fit the 2016 LRS. Has anybody tried them?

Here is a question that my HD dealer couldn't answer. Don't know was their answer. Do we already have screamin eagle mufflers on our 2016-17 LRS or are they just a standard HD muffler. Thanks, Mike

Last edited by ETMike; 11-19-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2016, 10:21 AM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I'd like to know how Screamin Eagle's sound as well.. Also, I changed the oil and filter yesterday and used 3 quarts like my service manual says. I let it warm up and when I shut it off and checked the oil it showed at least a half inch above full hot. I always changed the oil myself in all my vehicles for the last 30 years. Did I miss something here? Thanks

Old 11-20-2016, 07:59 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ktp1598
I'd like to know how Screamin Eagle's sound as well.. Also, I changed the oil and filter yesterday and used 3 quarts like my service manual says. I let it warm up and when I shut it off and checked the oil it showed at least a half inch above full hot. I always changed the oil myself in all my vehicles for the last 30 years. Did I miss something here? Thanks
3 quarts is to much.....2.5-2.75 is plenty oil.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:16 AM
ktp1598
Road Captain
Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts

I guess a considerable amount of oil stays in the engine after draining. I've heard Harley's do that. I'll drain a bit and check it again. Next time I'll check with 2.5 quarts. Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Low Rider S