Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding greese to front wheel bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Mkos1980
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adding greese to front wheel bearing.

Got the rim off to put a new tire on and notice the bearing is smoth but had like 2 spots that feel like it sticks. Pulled the small cover off the bearings and it has very little greese. Can I add some? Bearings have 3800 miles on them.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:07 PM
sleazy rider
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Never mind. I can't read.

Old 01-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Mkos1980
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking of using a greese needle and shooting some good greese in between the openings.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

If you are able to feel anything at all that is rough as it turns, or "sticks" as you say:
Replace them.

If you want go ahead and grease the bearing:
Pull it out.
Fill the palm of your hand with grease.
Drag the bearing in the grease across your hand then flat against your palm (down by your thumb) to force the grease into the bearing.
Rotate the bearing a bit and do it again, and again, and again, and again until it is full of grease.

When you are done, go give your wife a greasy hug, you are now a mekannik.

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-04-2016 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mkos1980
Got the rim off to put a new tire on and notice the bearing is smoth but had like 2 spots that feel like it sticks. Pulled the small cover off the bearings and it has very little greese. Can I add some? Bearings have 3800 miles on them.

If you dinged the grease seal, even a little bit, it is best to replace the brg. Better yet, change them both. I picked some up at the bearing house for $9.00 each. I have the removal tool so it only takes a few minutes to do the job. Better safe than sorry.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:43 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I swap the bearings out every other tire change.
Look for timken (fafnir) bearings, they hold up lots longer.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Very little grease is unfortunately common today, and I think is the reason so many forum members have posted about their bearing failures. If there is anything other than completely smooth about that bearing, I'd replace it. Not with Chinese made, either. I've seen many new bearings come with a thin bead of clear stuff on them; I know of no quality synthetic grease that looks like vaseline, and always clean that stuff off, and put grease I trust in there, like Mobil or Shell synthetic, not the cheap stuff. A tube of it will do a lot of Harley wheel bearings, too. If you were careful prying up the plastic seal, there should be no damage to it; I've removed and replaced hundreds.

If you replace the bearings, I really recommend a puller set like the Pit Posse puller, will make the job easy, and will keep the bearing square in the wheel bore; if you use a hammer, even if you manage not to damage the bearing, it'll **** at least a little in the wheel bore and gall the sides a little; enough of that and you get a loose fitting bearing - that's a new wheel.

I've run across plastic bearing cages (the part holding the ***** in place, metal in your photo) and threw those bearings away unused.

If you keep that bearing, wipe out as much old grease as you can and just push little gobs of grease between the *****, rotate it, more gobs, until it just squishes away from your finger and then wipe off enough so there's a little airspace left when you press the seal back on. That will give enough room for the ***** to drill a tunnel through the grease without having to push a mass of it.

For some years now, a lot of engineers have claimed bearings only need enough grease for a thin film on the *****. That's bs for wheel bearings, even airlines fill their jet wheel bearings full. Cars have since the beginning. From what I've been seeing, a lot don't come that way from the manufacturer, so even if you get new ones, pop the seals and make sure they have plenty of grease. If your quality grease is a different color, don't just add it, clean out the original and fill it with the same type grease; not all greases like living together.

Never, ever, use black moly grease on a wheel bearing, that's not what it's for, though I've seen it done. Don't "borrow" some red Mobil grease from an aircraft mechanic buddy that he uses on airliner wheel bearings; that's hydroscopic (absorbs water), and even though there's a reason for that on airplanes, it's bad news on motorcycles.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:49 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sealed bearings never need "re-greased" but always REPLACED... when they near the end of their service life.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 01-08-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

This is a tapered bearing... suitable for service.

Last edited by 08fxdf43202; 01-04-2016 at 06:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,968 Likes on 4,160 Posts

You already have the rubber seal off. If it's smooth. Simple get you some ball bearing wheel grease. Using a spoon, simple scoop off a dab with your finger and push it in. Hit the same spot till you see it ooze out on both side of were you are pushing it in. Now just move around. That will pack plenty in there. Now turn it a few times and take out the excess in front of the separator. You do not want it full. Now work the seal back in. Just check them for a while. It will be fine.
Normally when you pack a tapered roller bearing or a ball bearing, you put a dab of grease in the palm and push the bearing in till it comes out other side. Do not remove bearing or push out the back seal.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-04-2016 at 06:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Adding greese to front wheel bearing.