Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

USB port on a Super Glide . . . how I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 02:01 PM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default USB port on a Super Glide . . . how I did it.

Ok, while I know there are many ways to skin a cat, and we all don't like the same cats, due to the fact that I have learned a ton of great things on this board, I wanted to post up, in case anyone else finds it helpful.

First off, I use my phone for GPS when I need it. Not my favorite thing, taking my eyes off the road, but sometimes I want GPS. Longer rides require that I charge my phone. I did this a few months back, and it's working great for me.

I bought an eBay power point, one that looked OK to me, seemed slightly rugged, water resistant, etc. Needed a black wire cover also. got one that looked a bit like a cigar, I can't find it any more, but pick what you like.

Since I have a tender lead, I did not want to add any more wires to the battery connections, and since the plug is open when riding, I bought this to use the correct end:

I was going to run the wire under the tank, but having an FXD, I decided to take a look under the dash. Winner! This is going to be easy. I ran the wire through triple clamp, to the front of the dash, looped it loosely around the fuel gauge, out the back of the dash, and wrapped it around something so it stayed near my tender lead. Works like a charm, my phone charges as if on AC power, so in all, I'm very pleased. Soldering and shrink wrapping was the most time consuming part.

See below for the pics:

Old 12-26-2015, 07:07 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Very neat - I like your under-dash route too. I generally just loop mine (which I only use occasionally) under the tank, but always concerned I'll melt something!

Old 12-27-2015, 01:20 AM
fat bastard 68
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Very good, I plan on doing this, but putting the USB port on the FXRP fairing when I finally get round to it!
So,Thank you for the guide, it's much appreciated

Old 12-27-2015, 08:59 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

Tidy install!

Ram mount for the phone?

Old 12-27-2015, 10:18 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Tidy install!

Ram mount for the phone?
No. Cheepo ebay case that you put the whole phone in and zip up. What it may not be needed, I like the phone encased, rather than out in the open being held on to by some arms. This way its secure, and more than a little protected from the elements. Sans gloves, you can use the touch screen through the front of the case.