Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heat "Shields"

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:07 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

I hope that you never go down while wearing a pair of shorts. Even a short trip can turn ugly for whatever reason and if you're sporting a pair of shorts and tennis shoes expect your stay in the hospital to be much longer that you want it to be. Pavement 1 / Skin 0

Old 12-24-2015, 05:15 PM
Flybuddy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a couple of hundred thousand miles riding. First Harley for me and I was careless. I even wore armor on long rides on last bike. In South Florida, if I make a hard and fast rule that I'm gonna wear jeans and a jacket for every ride I'm going to wind up as a cager every time I need to run an errand. I got the bike for enjoyment. On slow, nearby rides with a lot of lights there's no enjoyment to being very hot. Riding a bike in and of itself is a risk. For a minor increase in that risk factor I can have an enjoyable ride instead of just driving.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:11 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by Flybuddy
I've got a couple of hundred thousand miles riding. First Harley for me and I was careless. I even wore armor on long rides on last bike. In South Florida, if I make a hard and fast rule that I'm gonna wear jeans and a jacket for every ride I'm going to wind up as a cager every time I need to run an errand. I got the bike for enjoyment. On slow, nearby rides with a lot of lights there's no enjoyment to being very hot. Riding a bike in and of itself is a risk. For a minor increase in that risk factor I can have an enjoyable ride instead of just driving.
If that's what you feel like doing it's your hide not mine.

Old 12-25-2015, 06:36 AM
Jeff's 1st Harley
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
Stop riding in shorts (which you shouldn't be doing anyway), and it won't be much of a problem.
Like he said.

Old 12-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Buddy Shagmore
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Your riding with unprotected legs is a direct reflection of your attitude towards risk.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Flybuddy
Novice

Jeans or even leathers will simply protect you slightly from minor burns and abrasions. We have no helmet law in Florida and the vast majority of Harley riders at various get togethers rarely wear helmets but I guess they think they're safe because they have long pants. I wear a helmet, again, I also wear long pants on all but short local trips. My post was asking for experience with wrapped exhausts. Only thing I learned was not to mention any shortcomings to avoid armchair pontificators.

Last edited by Flybuddy; 12-25-2015 at 08:51 PM.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:54 AM
rogersachs
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Flybuddy
After a leg burn yesterday decided to pull of the heat shields and wrap the pipes underneath putting the shields back on afterwards. As you're aware, the heat shields are mounted with 3 screw clamps completely contacting the pipes and obviously transferring the heat through those solid metal connections. For those that are anti-wrap has anyone just wrapped underneath the clamps to cut down the metal to metal heat transfer??
I put on good quality extra heat shields I got from JP cycles in those areas that touch my leg and it really didn't help. Then I hit on the idea of loosening the clamps and shoving as much wrap as I could behind. Stopping just about 1 inch from the end on each side. I then retighten the clamps to compress and hold the wrap. It really worked well. Still hot, but not nearly as before. As a matter of fact, occasionally I burnt the bottom of my boot on the lower pipe, but now have not done the same in nearly a year. Nor have I burnt my leg or my riding pants since. Also ask me how I easily stopped the rattle from the Steering head. Now if I could only get someone to convert my ABS single forward disc to dual.
Roger

Last edited by rogersachs; 12-26-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-26-2015, 01:14 AM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If I had a dollar for every "biker" (or rider.....and I use the term loosely) that I have helped off the side of the road that was scraped up or beat to **** from lack of proper gear, I'd be rich.

What's really funny is they always say the same thing afterwards: "I'll never ride again without (insert helmet, gloves, long pants, boots, eyewear, etc.)".

75% of the time they say " I usually wear XXXX" but I was just going down the street.....

BTW: Pipe burns usually only happen to drunk tourist girls who try to take selfies next to a bike.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:27 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Have you looked at our Crotch Cooler ? We have sold thousands of them over the last 10 years and they work very well. We get great reviews and we we can answer any questions just give us a call .. Thank you Itch

Old 12-26-2015, 07:21 AM
Flybuddy
Novice

Originally Posted by rogersachs
I put on good quality extra heat shields I got from JP cycles in those areas that touch my leg and it really didn't help. Then I hit on the idea of loosening the clamps and shoving as much wrap as I could behind. Stopping just about 1 inch from the end on each side. I then retighten the clamps to compress and hold the wrap. It really worked well. Still hot, but not nearly as before. As a matter of fact, occasionally I burnt the bottom of my boot on the lower pipe, but now have not done the same in nearly a year. Nor have I burnt my leg or my riding pants since. Also ask me how I easily stopped the rattle from the Steering head. Now if I could only get someone to convert my ABS single forward disc to dual.
Roger
Thx..good info!

Quick Reply: Heat "Shields"