Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 FXDX ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: 2003 FXDX ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

1stMardiv......
That sounds close to what you may have as a problem. My chart shows you have a red wire from the 30amp circuit breaker to the ign switch. Two more wires on the switch.....red/gray to the lighting circuit and red/black to the starter relay...which then goes to the starter.
Last year I had some electrical problems and at first thought it was the starter relay so I went and bought one ($7). That was not my problem as it turned out, but I now carry the relay around with me in my bag because if I ever need it, it won't do me any good at home sitting on a shelf in the shop.
I'll continue to keep tuned in. I am curious to learn what you find.......pg

Old 05-16-2007, 07:39 PM
1stmardiv
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PG...

Solved the electrical problem....Sometimes we over look the obvious. Even though the battery checked out ok with a volt meterand as fully charged...it was BAD! It was BAD under a load. Learned something for sure...the battery was bran new too....bought a new battery and my scooters back on the pavement! I did buy a 30 amp circuit breaker for $6.38 just for a spare, but didn't need it!

"Once a Jarhead always a Jarhead"

Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 PM
piniongear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

1stmardiv......
Ok, glad to hear you solved the problem. There was a battery problem back in 2003 and from what I know there were a number of bad batteries made.
I too thought I had a bad battery last year and went and bought a new one. I rode exactly one week and then came out to start it one morning and the new battery was dead.
I jumped it off and rode over to the dealer who I bought the battery from. He took the bike into the shop and checked things out. 2 hours later he tells me that there is nothing wrong with my bike. I ride off and one week later I again have another dead battery. This time I decided if you want something fixed correctly....Do it yourself.

I checked the rotor which was good. When I checked the stator the indication was a short in the windings. Sure enough when I pulled the primary cover off it was easy to see which part had cooked. Stink'in dealers! I knew better than to take it over to them, but since I bought the battery there I thought they would find what the trouble was.
I replaced the stator and it charged fine and have had no battery problem in almost a year now. Here is a real bite for you....I had to buy the stator from a dealer of course. The stator was $107. OK, at least it is made of metal. The cost of (1) primary gasket was $60! The original gasket was made of aluminum and this sixty buck replacement was neopreme. I saved my aluminum gasket.
Moral of story....don't throw anything away..........pg

[IMG]local://upfiles/8331/63DA7A100FF7420489CDFBC9CF1CD7B2.jpg[/IMG]