Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins front fork cartridges

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 05:21 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Dropped off today for the install. The same tech who did my Road Glide FKC-102 install is doing the Dyna. It's done, but it's been raining all day (was a fun ride to the dealer in the pouring rain this morning!) so he couldn't test ride. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning. Can't wait.

The following users liked this post:
stonei3 (07-14-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 05:57 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Wow. Just wow.

Got there at 1030 and the tech just got back from the test ride. My day started out nice as a result of his comment "your bike's got more power then most of the 110's i've ridden". Nice.

He said he didn't set any of the adjustments, he was leaving it for me. So I hopped on i95 and headed home. Felt great even before any adjusting. Got it home because we had some stuff to do before I could play. Later in the day we got home with some of the best Italian sausages, olives and other delicacies from Arthur Ave in the Bronx. Ate a little and went down to the garage. Had to put the fairing back on but before I did, I ballparked the preload. My understanding is the fork has 5" of travel, so I set my sag at 1 3/4" which ended up as 7 turns of preload. Since I have no idea how to set compression and rebound (I need to read and learn that) I used the recommended starting settings of 12 clicks from full clockwise (closed). Went out for a 50mile run.

Again, wow. Just wow. When I read Frederic CM say the bike felt "lighter" I tried to think of what he meant, and now I know. It just does. Hard to describe, but it feels smoother over big bumps, but more precise. Smooth but tight. Don't know how else to say it. There's this one part of the Bronx River Parkway where it's a S turn at 40mph where the left lane is miserably rough, and always gives a little pucker factor when you hit it. Now it's soooo much less... stressful? I took a bunch of bad roads, and a bunch of fast twistys and I'm loving it.

I think there is still room for improvement once I figure out the optimal setup, but as it is now, it's light years better then the racetech springs and emulators I had. Which were a big improvement over stock, so I'm really happy. I'll give Howard a call and ask him about tuning it on Monday.

Money well spent.

Last edited by Mchad; 07-15-2017 at 06:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rauchman (08-07-2017)
Old 07-15-2017, 07:25 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Right on Mchad. My kit arrived during the week, but UPS destroyed the original package and they must have punctured one of the quarts of Ohlins oil. I am waiting on two new quarts to arrive. Did your guy tell you what other fork parts he replaced?

Old 07-15-2017, 07:30 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
Right on Mchad. My kit arrived during the week, but UPS destroyed the original package and they must have punctured one of the quarts of Ohlins oil. I am waiting on two new quarts to arrive. Did your guy tell you what other fork parts he replaced?
I already removed the original cartridge for standard fork internals when I had the racetech springs and emulators installed last year, so no other parts were needed. I don't remember what was done back then, sorry!

Old 07-16-2017, 02:31 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Mchad - what did you guys use for a 41 mm fork cap socket?

Old 07-16-2017, 04:01 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Thumbs up Call when you can

Originally Posted by Mchad
Wow. Just wow.

Got there at 1030 and the tech just got back from the test ride. My day started out nice as a result of his comment "your bike's got more power then most of the 110's i've ridden". Nice.

He said he didn't set any of the adjustments, he was leaving it for me. used the recommended starting settings of 12 clicks from full clockwise (closed). Went out for a 50mile run.

so I'm really happy. I'll give Howard a call and ask him about tuning it on Monday.

Money well spent.
You can call anytime up to 10 PM tonight (Sunday). I am trying to get cggorman complete fork out the door which has a NIX 30mm in it. It is 4:55 ESDT now. I had to sit down so I came here for a min.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:11 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by FastHarley
You can call anytime up to 10 PM tonight (Sunday). I am trying to get cggorman complete fork out the door which has a NIX 30mm in it. It is 4:55 ESDT now. I had to sit down so I came here for a min.
Much appreciated. I know you work all kinds of crazy hours, but I'm done riding today anyway. I'll give you a call tomorrow at some point during the day. Thank you Sir.

Edit: and I now hate* cggorman since his forks will be better then my forks. Though I can't imagine how, since these are so damn good.

*JK of course. Sort of...

Last edited by Mchad; 07-16-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:14 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by harley_jeff
Mchad - what did you guys use for a 41 mm fork cap socket?
My dealer did the install, so I have no idea tbh. Sorry.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:37 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
Much appreciated. I know you work all kinds of crazy hours, but I'm done riding today anyway. I'll give you a call tomorrow at some point during the day. Thank you Sir.

Edit: and I now hate* cggorman since his forks will be better then my forks. Though I can't imagine how, since these are so damn good.

*JK of course. Sort of...
Just remind yourself that you've got a strong 110 and I've got a tired old 88. Smile and ride on!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:41 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by cggorman
Just remind yourself that you've got a strong 110 and I've got a tired old 88. Smile and ride on!
It's the only way I sleep at night since you originally posted that you ordered them ;-)

Quick Reply: Ohlins front fork cartridges