Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins front fork cartridges

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:37 AM
W.Glide
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Just for some info that may help you guys install them, when I did my Wide Glide I got both of the special tools for the job. They were a hold up tool that screws on the top of the cartridge because it wants to slide down, and a "Y" shaped piece of flat steel to go between the top of the spring and the nut on the threaded section. You can very easily use a piece of rubber hose for the hold up tool, and a body washer with a slot cut out of the edge so it will slip over the shaft of the cartridge to keep the spring in place. The spring tool wasn't even needed on my install, but may have been due to the very light springs installed due to me weighing 117lbs. Also the bottom hex screw on the fork is a 12mm. To get the screw out cut off most of the end of the wrench so you can put it in a 12mm socket and use an impact to zip them out due to locktite on the threads. When you install them don't use the impact, but install by hand. Here's some pics of the tools.

The following users liked this post:
Mchad (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by W.Glide
Just for some info that may help you guys install them, when I did my Wide Glide I got both of the special tools for the job. They were a hold up tool that screws on the top of the cartridge because it wants to slide down, and a "Y" shaped piece of flat steel to go between the top of the spring and the nut on the threaded section. You can very easily use a piece of rubber hose for the hold up tool, and a body washer with a slot cut out of the edge so it will slip over the shaft of the cartridge to keep the spring in place. The spring tool wasn't even needed on my install, but may have been due to the very light springs installed due to me weighing 117lbs. Also the bottom hex screw on the fork is a 12mm. To get the screw out cut off most of the end of the wrench so you can put it in a 12mm socket and use an impact to zip them out due to locktite on the threads. When you install them don't use the impact, but install by hand. Here's some pics of the tools.

Did you ever post a review on the ride? I haven't seen a single review of the NIX-22's installed on a HD. Can you point me to your post if you did? And if not, can you?

Old 05-20-2017, 12:46 PM
W.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by Mchad
Did you ever post a review on the ride? I haven't seen a single review of the NIX-22's installed on a HD. Can you point me to your post if you did? And if not, can you?

I posted about them somewhere on here, and i'll see if I can locate the thread. But to make it easier I did the Blackline 762's on the back first, and then did the NIX22's about a month later. All I can say is there is no comparison to stock. The rear shocks made a huge difference in ride quality AND handling, and the NIX22's made an even bigger difference. No brake dive, and it keeps the tires planted. Now it makes you want to corner like your on a crotch rocket. I have NO regrets on either purchase, and would buy them again. I'd have to double check, but my rebound is setting at 9 clicks out, and compression is 13 or 14 clicks out. The settings in the instructions will be very close and will ride pretty dang good out of the box after you set your spring sag.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:52 PM
W.Glide
Tourer
The following users liked this post:
Mchad (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 02:12 PM
F86
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 900 Likes on 600 Posts

All of this hullabaloo is making me wanna slap on a 49mm front end so I can play too!

Old 05-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain
Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Update : Doing the work

Fork tubes are back in, bike not fully finished yet. Everything went smoothly, but BE CAREFULL : It take more than 1 Liter to fill both legs !! (I had ordered two bottles... Lucky me !)

Old 05-21-2017, 06:44 AM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain

W. Glide : Do you have some advise for the Sag ? Ohlins told me 5-6 turns...

Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM
W.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by Frédéric CM
W. Glide : Do you have some advise for the Sag ? Ohlins told me 5-6 turns...

I figure your total fork travel will be about the same as my wide glide which is 5" total. You'll want 15-30% FREE sag and 20-40% ride height.(your weight on the bike). I set my free sag at 1" (no weight on the bike, but standing up) and 1 1/4" ride height ( my boney azz in the seat) those came out to 20% and 25% which is within the guide lines. Mine came out to 12 turns, but it was with Ohlins lightest springs, and i'm sure the heavier springs wouldn't need as much preload. I could also go down a few turns on mine and still be within specs so my guess is 5-6 turns will be very close, and if you want it a tad higher go a couple of more turns.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:45 AM
W.Glide
Tourer

Originally Posted by Frédéric CM
Update : Doing the work

Fork tubes are back in, bike not fully finished yet. Everything went smoothly, but BE CAREFULL : It take more than 1 Liter to fill both legs !! (I had ordered two bottles... Lucky me !)

I agree! I had to order another bottle to finish mine. Each Wide Glide tube held 6/10ths of a bottle of fluid. With that said the Ohlins tech told me 1 bottle would do it, and most likely 1/2 a bottle in each leg would be fine.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:31 PM
Frédéric CM
Road Captain

Niiiice !

Ohlins special tools...

Almost done !

Quick Reply: Ohlins front fork cartridges