Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Brake Rotor for a Switchback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 02:07 AM
Lansing
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The item Arlen Ness 02-965 don't fit to your bike.
The description "Dyna (00-14) " by Phat is false.
Very "strange" the rate of the 02-965 by Phat.
For Softail $269.95 in stock, for the Dyna $179.95 not in stock.
But it's the same item 02-965 !
I trimmed the pads and i cut the bracket at the place marked by a circle on the picture.
I can't tell you more.

Last edited by Lansing; 12-16-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by Lansing
I trimmed the pads and i cut the bracket at the place marked by a circle on the picture.
I can't tell you more.
that's what i was looking for. i couldn't maker sense out of what you were saying. you trimmed the bracket to fit over the mounting point and also trimmed the excess off the brake pads.

did you use fresh pads when you upgraded?

Old 12-16-2015, 03:37 PM
Lansing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cvaria
did you use fresh pads when you upgraded?
Yes, i use french pads CL Brakes (Carbone Lorraine),1212 A3+ for the front.
Very good pads, they work for F1.
The better way is to drive a few tanks. After that you can see the line showed on the above picture.
I made the work with a Dremel, very simple.
The braking with this break disk is awesome, you feel secure.

Last edited by Lansing; 12-16-2015 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:22 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

As of a couple of weeks ago, Ness has now manufactured the correct-sized Big Brake caliper bracket for the 2006-up Dyna forks.

I bought my unit pre-release near the beginning of the year and contacted Ness as soon as I fitted it as I could see it was not sitting squarely on the disc. On Ness's advice that it was safe and that a correctly sized bracket was in the works (I think they hadn't realised the forks changed '06- on Dynas), I've been running the 'wrong' bracket setup unmodified with no issues at all other than the brake pad has worn un-evenly as a small part (a couple of millimetres) is hanging off the edge over the disc, leaving a ridge on the upper edge of the pad's friction surface.

Respectfully, I would strongly caution against modifying brake shoes and found it was not necessary to make the system work safely with the bracket as delivered.

I received the new-design '06- Dyna bracket a few days ago and can confirm it now fits squarely over the disc surface. I got mine directly from Ness.

New on the left, old on the right:

I'll do a review in a couple of weeks once I've bedded the new brake shoes in. The old ones could not be re-used due to the ridge I mentioned above, and I would not (e.g.) use grinder to lower it.

Note I'm not affiliated with Ness etc. I'm satisfied with their response to my compliant (mainly in the sense that it has been resolved!), but wish they had done a bit more research in the first place. It took many months to resolve and cost me a set of brake shoes. Nonetheless, the Big Brake kit is a good piece of gear, and is very well-made.

Last edited by Davdoodles; 12-16-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:24 PM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Davdoodles
As of a couple of weeks ago, Ness has now manufactured the correct-sized Big Brake caliper bracket for the 2006-up Dyna forks.

I bought my unit pre-release near the beginning of the year and contacted Ness as soon as I fitted it as I could see it was not sitting squarely on the disc. On Ness's advice that it was safe and that a correctly sized bracket was in the works (I think they hadn't realised the forks changed '06- on Dynas), I've been running the 'wrong' bracket setup unmodified with no issues at all other than the brake pad has worn un-evenly as a small part (a couple of millimetres) is hanging off the edge over the disc, leaving a ridge on the upper edge of the pad's friction surface.

Respectfully, I would strongly caution against modifying brake shoes and found it was not necessary to make the system work safely with the bracket as delivered.

I received the new-design '06- Dyna bracket a few days ago and can confirm it now fits squarely over the disc surface. I got mine directly from Ness.

New on the left, old on the right:

I'll do a review in a couple of weeks once I've bedded the new brake shoes in. The old ones could not be re-used due to the ridge I mentioned above, and I would not (e.g.) use grinder to lower it.

Note I'm not affiliated with Ness etc. I'm satisfied with their response to my compliant (mainly in the sense that it has been resolved!), but wish they had done a bit more research in the first place. It took many months to resolve and cost me a set of brake shoes. Nonetheless, the Big Brake kit is a good piece of gear, and is very well-made.

good stuff. i'll b**** about it to ness if they send the old bracket

Old 12-17-2015, 06:22 AM
Lansing
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Davdoodles
Hum, explain us, after some thousand miles, what's append when the untrimed parts of pads joined when you brake ?
I modify the bracket because it don't fit on the 2015 SB fork like said by Ness.
They know that for a long time. I send email to Ness and european importer, no answer.
Thank for the news, i'll try to call Ness.
The bracket mod, i trimmed the part under the orange line, a few mm.

Attached Thumbnails Big Brake Rotor for a Switchback?-bracket-mod.jpg  

Last edited by Lansing; 12-17-2015 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:52 AM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

All this is the reason I never buy a brand new product. I just don't feel the desire to be an explorer anymore....just sit on my hands for awhile until the product proves itself. I do admire guys like Lansing that turn lemons into lemonade.

Old 12-17-2015, 08:57 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

With a 13" rotor you would probably need to get a 13" caliper which is designed for a 13" rotor. RC Components makes a bracket for the stock caliper with a 13" rotor for baggers but I do not think they make one for a Dyna. Wheels, brakes, rotors, etc is our main business so we can definitely help. We sell lots of Ness stuff and i am sure I can get you a great price on the 15" kit. If I still had a Dyna I think I'd do this.

I have a buddy with an 03 and he did the Speed Merchant bracket with a Tokico caliper and had to take a lot of material off the back of the caliper in order to get it to fit with his mid glide front end.

If you need help give me a call and we can discuss all of the options out there, or just send a PM. What year and model Dyna do you ride?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:08 AM
Ricketts
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonder if this Ness kit will fit my 21" wire wheeled SB?

Old 12-17-2015, 09:15 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Ricketts
Wonder if this Ness kit will fit my 21" wire wheeled SB?
i'll let you know when my kit gets here. i plan on doing all the mods i have been prepping for over the xmas holiday.

Quick Reply: Big Brake Rotor for a Switchback?