Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI vs Carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005 | 12:46 PM
dragsta
|
Banned
Default FI vs Carb

I keep hearing over and over that a carbed Harley has trouble in the mountains. Well, a woman on my site just got back from a ride across the US and here's what she said about her carbureted, Sportster:

"I prefer the carb. The bike ran great the whole trip. It doesn't seem to matter where I ride, in the desert, in the mountains, highway, city, through floods...lol, that bike just runs like a champ."

Old 09-24-2005 | 01:55 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Default RE: FI vs Carb

I Think you "heard" that from me yesterday

I think what you fail to realize that most people would not know if their bike was running rich at higher altitudes and there are some who would not admit it even if they did know for reasons I'll never understand. One person making a broad statement like that does not make it a fact either IMO. I'm simply pointing out facts here, not generalizing or making claims that can't be substantiated.

Fact is that carbs do run richer at altitudes by design of the CV carb and the higher you go the richer they get. If you go high enough it will foul the plugs out. In the FI, the MAP sensor adjusts the mixture for the altitude.

It all depends with a carb just how rich it was jetted to begin with. If it was stock jetting, it's very lean and you may get by at higher altitudes than a carb that has been rejetted on the richer side that will foul plugs at altitudes.

Old 09-24-2005 | 02:00 PM
Crowdog
Tourer

Dragsta,

Do you like Blondes or Redheads? (I prefer both )

Gin or Vodka?

Bud or Miller?

Carb or FI? (I know your answer on that one)

Enjoy your ride

Ride safe.

Crow

Old 09-24-2005 | 02:20 PM
dragsta
|
Banned

"All constant velocity (CV) carburetors are designed to compensate for changes in altitude and barometric pressure" That comes from the Kehin site! FI might be a tad more efficient in the mountains but it's nothing to write home about. lol...

There is also some very good reading at their site:

http://www.floheadworks.com/Departments/articles.htm

Old 09-24-2005 | 02:36 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

FI might be a tad more efficient in the mountains but it's nothing to write home about. lol...
Isn't that what we were saying here???

Enjoy the ride!

Old 09-24-2005 | 03:04 PM
dragsta
|
Banned

There is a misconception that CV carbs do NOT compensate for altitude when in fact they do. The real world difference between a CV carb and FI is negligible. Plug fouling is not an issue as long as you don't have your carb running to rich to begin with.

Crowdog: You just wait. EPA will outlaw the use of power comanders and other such devices on FI bikes. Or, they may just make it illegal for HD to supply the digital data for remapping an FI bike. Ya'll are walking right into the trap. Carbs are being phased out so that EPA can begin emissions testing motorcycles. They may in fact start with 06 bikes. AND, FI needlessly complicates an otherwise simple machine.

Old 09-24-2005 | 03:25 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

TC...When I purchased my bike, I wanted FI but it wasnt offered on my model so I had to take the carb. I didnt think it was a bad thing though. I'm going to have my carb rejetted when I take it in for my stage 1 mods sometime in the next month or so. Are they going to make it richer or leaner? Im under the impression that they will put in a bigger jet so it flows more fuel more efficiently. Im not on the up and up in the carb dept and never really messed with them before. Can you explain a little of this please? Thanks!

Old 09-24-2005 | 05:16 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

Chris

This will explain it in detail https://www.hdforums.com/m_65123/mpa..._/tm.htm#65123

Old 09-24-2005 | 05:35 PM
WillieC
Road Master

I have FI on my 06 DYNA and it needs to be remapped to run a little richer in order to stop the surging at lower speeds.(according to the Dealer and the DYNO/sniffer test they ran)
But HD does not have a remap available for the dealers yet. Some are getting remaps but my dealer
claims they do not know how because HD said they still do not have one for the 2006 models yet.

If and when they can do a remap it will cost me $150.00 for a one time remap. If I change my AC or
pipes I will pay another $150.00 for a remap.
If I had a carb I could rejet it for about 6 bucks. (in fact I have a slide, Yost Power Tube and jets from my other Harley so it would just be my labor.

So for that reason I would rather have a carb and have the control over it myself. Rejetting is so easy and only takes 20 min to do.
AND I could get pipes not having to worry about O2 sensors.

I am sure someday the FI will rule and of course the dealer makes more money remaping.

my 2cents

Willie

Old 09-24-2005 | 06:04 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

If and when they can do a remap it will cost me $150.00 for a one time remap. If I change my AC or
pipes I will pay another $150.00 for a remap.
Somebodies been giving you bad information here. JUST ONE remap covers the pipes and intake mods, also raises the rev limit.

You can also go with a TFI and don't need a remap at all. You can make your own adjustments then with the turn of a screw on 4 pots for low,high, accel. pump and crossover. Much easier than jetting .No need for the dealer at all.

Quick Reply: FI vs Carb