Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FI vs Carb

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005 | 06:47 PM
LouieWideGlide
Cruiser
Default RE: FI vs Carb

TCSTD, while I agree with you on the use of a TFI, I was told you should do the download and use a TFI. I am not saying this is true. It was just something I had heard. I also thought that the TFI's couldn't raise the rev limiter. Just questions from a newbie, not saying I am right!

Old 09-24-2005 | 07:02 PM
dragsta
|
Banned

The confusion and misinformation concerning FI bikes is overwhelming. And like Willie says, ya gotta get pipes designed for an 02 sensor. Screw THAT! Buy an 05 with a carb while you still can.

All things considered, a CV carb can't be beaten.

Old 09-24-2005 | 07:05 PM
LouieWideGlide
Cruiser

I can assure you my pipes do not have an O2 sensor.

Old 09-24-2005 | 07:11 PM
dragsta
|
Banned

That's because ( if I understand correctly ) you have an older "open loop" FI. The closed loop has an 02 sensor in the exhaust.

Old 09-24-2005 | 07:14 PM
LouieWideGlide
Cruiser

Thats why I rushed to buy an 05. The EPA takes al the fun out of everything!

Old 09-24-2005 | 07:15 PM
HDF Tech
Banned

ORIGINAL: LouieWideGlide

TCSTD, while I agree with you on the use of a TFI, I was told you should do the download and use a TFI. I am not saying this is true. It was just something I had heard. I also thought that the TFI's couldn't raise the rev limiter. Just questions from a newbie, not saying I am right!

TFI can't raise the rev limit, but let's face it ,with a stock bike with stock cams etc, what do you think you will gain with the higher rev limit? At that point , you're past the power band all you're doing is spinning the motor over without producing more power. The purpose for the download also (aside from the rev limit) is in case the TFI goes bad so you don't run lean. The TFI should be used with the stock ECM download for maximum tuning, but still works well with stage 1 and 2 downloads. You'll know if the TFI goes bad by the way the motor runs. I've never heard of one going bad yet.

The 06's have 02 sensors in both pipes which programs the mixture for the ECM properly to optomize the injector pulse widths accordingly for each cylinder, then injects it at the port to each cylinder independently , can't do that with a carb, all you get with the carb is an average mixture with more going to the rear cylinder than the front one.

Your ride, your decision.

Old 09-24-2005 | 08:06 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dragsta

That's because ( if I understand correctly ) you have an older "open loop" FI. The closed loop has an 02 sensor in the exhaust.
Mmmm, seems as though my '06 Road Glide doesn't have any 02 sensors. Guess I'm running open loop too.

Old 09-24-2005 | 08:08 PM
WillieC
Road Master

My Dealer says ABSOLUTELY no remaps available from HD for the 2006 Dyna yet.
Plus HD warned them not to make any changes till they give the OK.
AND they get defensive about it if I mention others are doing it. They claim the remaps
are not from HD and not approved by HD. I tried to argue the point today with zero success.
They bring up warranty issues.
So I will wait to see what happens. Problem is that we are at the mercy of the dealer and
you cannot get any input from HD Headquarters. I rode 80 miles to another dealer and they
had less info on it than my local dealer.
I can ride or call a dealer in Johnstown about 110 miles from here on Monday and see what they say.

My dealer also told me today that a remap in Central Pennsylvania is different than say Texas or
Arizona because we have extremes in temp and humidity , which makes no since to me, arizona has
massive extremes from day to night..
Soo how much is fact verses bull $hit I do not know at this time.

I did buy an 06 Service Manual toaday for 58.00 I am going to wire a tach to it and it has the wirning
pin outs ect.

Any how with all the problems I have had I am still proud of my ride and have confidence that HD
will resolve the issue. I think maybe part of the problem is that we are putting FI and an engine that
is classic in design and was designed around a carb not FI. It will take some tweeking but they will do it.

I am always curious how smooth the VROD is because it is sate of the art and an awsome machine.
If I could mount that motor in my BOB I would have an AWESOME bike with liquid cooling.

This one Dude gets on here and says he is an HD Tech maybe he can add some intelligence to the matrix.

Ride on, Ride on

Willie

Old 09-25-2005 | 02:00 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member

TC..

Thanks for that info. After reading that post, I think I might have been ripped off for the jet kit I bought from Harley. They charged me $70 for a bunch of parts I dont think I needed. I might go to my dealer on Monday and pick their brains about why I needed that kit. If I don't like their answer, I might just return it and buy the jets from J&P. I guess they saw the bike sucker sticker across my forehead...lol. Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2005 | 02:04 AM
dragsta
|
Banned

Here's another quote from my lady friend at my site. I couldn't have said it better myself. :

"CRAP....Ive never ridden with anyone that owns an FI. I can tell you that no matter where any of us have ridden our CARBED bikes, we've never had a problem. Never had to make any changes to ride in the mountains, never made any in the desert, heat, cold. This is just CRAP. Its to lower pollution (bullshit) and it will cost us more money. Remember when you could listen to your car and know what was wrong and go get the stuff to fix it? Now you have to pay someone to run it on the computer to tell you whats wrong. What crap. Ive got so many sensor lights on my car lit up it looks like a god damn christmas tree. When my friend put it on the computer reader thingy it all said pass. I'll drive my pick up and my carbed bike till they won't run another mile.

Soon our harleys will sound like sewing machines. SAD SAD SAD"

Quick Reply: FI vs Carb