Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery powered battery charger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 07:37 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
There ya go, a quick-connect battery-tender-type plug hidden in one of the grille openings in the front of your OL's car, and one on your bike. Having them connected one night a week would probably do it. Should she forget to disconnect and drive away, probably no harm done.

"probably no harm done" - easy for you to say!!!

I'm going to give this a try. See how it works for me. I'll post an update in Jan/Feb when this thread is ice cold. Just like NY will be....

Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive Amazon.com: Battery Tender BTL35A480C Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery: Automotive

Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WHy not just do a setup with a easily removable battery within your saddlebags that is paralleled back to the main battery? No one would be any the wiser to that and it could be done so that you could just leave it in place when on a local ride and only pull it if you need the space.
In reality though I'd think that just cranking up the bike and running it at a high idle for 10-15 minutes would keep it charged.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 234 Likes on 169 Posts

Deep cycling the battery every once in a while does not damage it. In fact, every time you start your bike, you are doing a moderate deep cycle and this is what the battery was designed to do and works best when it is occasionally deep cycled and long-time recharged.

There are some cautions to watch out for when directly connecting 2 batteries with significant differences in current capacities together because the only external current limiting factor is the cables and clips used.

Make sure they are connected in parallel. Put them in series ignoring the big spark and you will let the magic smoke out and it will be forever dead.

Be mindful that heat can happen if there is a significant differential between the current demanded by the small battery. IOW, if the motorcycle battery has been discharged for awhile and won't even turn on the panel lights, then there will be heat generated as the large battery pushes as much current into the small battery as is physically possible to keep the voltage at the large battery's level. Rigging up a current limiter circuit or fuse it at say 10-15 amps is an option.

If you connect it via a pigtail coming from the car (great idea, btw!) don't forget to disconnect it before cranking the car and driving off...

Also, you really don't need to keep it on 24/7, just connect it up every every other night and leave it connected overnight.

Last edited by skinman13; 11-23-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:18 AM
Mchad
Club Member

I had my finger poised on the button to order a LiFePo4 battery, when I decided to do a bit more research. It appears while they have amazing CCA's and practically no self discharge, they aren't so great when dealing with parasitic draws - like I have on my LR with the factory security system. In fact Ballistic themselves say you're better off with an AGM in that situation.

So back to the drawing board. Here's what I'm going to do (and it's done because I already ordered the stuff).

Keep the factory battery.

Install this - a high current battery tender-like cable to allow easy jumping or high amp charging.

http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/op...f-battery-lead

Bought this mini jumper box to dedicate to the bike.

Amazon.com: DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter DJS40 Battery Charger Phone Power Bank (Black/Yellow): Automotive Amazon.com: DBPOWER 300A Peak 8000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter DJS40 Battery Charger Phone Power Bank (Black/Yellow): Automotive

Wire this matching connector to the jumper box so all I have to do it plug it in and turn it on...

Amazon.com: CES 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Wire Harness SAE Connector Bullet Lead Cable (10 AWG): Automotive Amazon.com: CES 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Wire Harness SAE Connector Bullet Lead Cable (10 AWG): Automotive

Replace my battery more frequently then most since its going to take more of a beating then one on a constant tender.

This way, i can leave it for a couple of weeks, and i have an easy jump if it gets too low to start on its own. I can also use the high amp cable to put a solid, running charge on it from my OL's car if I want to. There's plenty of ventilation in the garage (running exhaust fans) so no worry of CO poisoning if I run the car for 10 min every couple of weeks.

And stop thinking about this nonsense and move on to other equally silly projects...

Last edited by Mchad; 11-23-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:26 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Why not just ride it once a week or so? Best way to keep it charged and ready to ride...just say'n...

Old 11-23-2015, 11:48 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by skinman13
Why not just ride it once a week or so? Best way to keep it charged and ready to ride...just say'n...
Cause I ain't in Texas brother! Here up north we can go a month with below freezing temps and snow and ice on the deck. I just like to have the option to hop on and ride on those occasional above freezing few days.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:54 AM
skinman13
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mchad
Cause I ain't in Texas brother! Here up north we can go a month with below freezing temps and snow and ice on the deck. I just like to have the option to hop on and ride on those occasional above freezing few days.
Just messin' with all y'all snow-bound Northerners...We are having a georgeous riding day, leather cool and absolutely clear...and now I am wondering why I am sitting here teasing y'all about not being able to ride for months on end.

In fact, it is lunch time and there is a new BBQ joint that just opened up about 20 miles away...BBQ ribs, Texas style...I am so outta here!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:00 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by skinman13
Just messin' with all y'all snow-bound Northerners...We are having a georgeous riding day, leather cool and absolutely clear...and now I am wondering why I am sitting here teasing y'all about not being able to ride for months on end.

In fact, it is lunch time and there is a new BBQ joint that just opened up about 20 miles away...BBQ ribs, Texas style...I am so outta here!
Damn you

Old 11-23-2015, 01:33 PM
Frostbite
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,765 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Well, since you bought all that stuff already I won't tell you that unless you need that security system running full time (alarm?) you could just pull the cable off the negative post. No connection = no draw. It's how people did batteries for years before they invented tenders.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:44 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by Frostbite
Well, since you bought all that stuff already I won't tell you that unless you need that security system running full time (alarm?) you could just pull the cable off the negative post. No connection = no draw. It's how people did batteries for years before they invented tenders.
Yeah, I know. Again. Lazy. Don't want to have to unscrew the battery box, install the neg cable, and bolt it all back together. 5 min, i know. Like I said. Lazy. I do like the false sense of security the security system provides too...

Quick Reply: Battery powered battery charger?