Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Sucker install (probably been posted a million times)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 10:42 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,676 Likes on 2,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I too modded a ness sucker to vent externally. Tapped the holes at the throttle body opening and screwed in some 6mm X 1/2" set secrews with some oil resistant red locktite. Took it one step farther and filled the holes at the top (by the banjos) with jb weld using a curved end syringe. I know the red locktite will never come loose, but the JB gave me that little extra assurance. Used a simple double ended filter directly under the a/c and after only about 500 miles, there's not a trace of oil visible on it. Expect I'll remove and clean it at every oil change.

Plugged breather ports by tapping and using 6mm set screws and loctite 263 (permanent, oil resistant and good on alum/stainless)

Hard to see but I used a syringe to fill breather ports with JB weld, just to make sure no oil sits on top of the set screws attacking the red loctite... Overkill, I know.
that looks good, I have an S&S stealth on mine, vents the same way as the ness, think will do this to mine also.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
that looks good, I have an S&S stealth on mine, vents the same way as the ness, think will do this to mine also.
Drop me a pm and I'll put a pair of the set screws in the mail for you. I had to buy a box of 100! And will likely not use that many even if I did this to every bike I own for the rest of my life! You'll just need a tap and some locktite 263.

Take a look at my user photo album for some more shots of it.

Last edited by Mchad; 12-16-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 AM
Maxxsmart
Road Master
Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

I too modded a ness sucker to vent externally. Tapped the holes at the throttle body opening and screwed in some 6mm X 1/2" set secrews with some oil resistant red locktite. Took it one step farther and filled the holes at the top (by the banjos) with jb weld using a curved end syringe. I know the red locktite will never come loose, but the JB gave me that little extra assurance. Used a simple double ended filter directly under the a/c and after only about 500 miles, there's not a trace of oil visible on it. Expect I'll remove and clean it at every oil change.

Plugged breather ports by tapping and using 6mm set screws and loctite 263 (permanent, oil resistant and good on alum/stainless)

Hard to see but I used a syringe to fill breather ports with JB weld, just to make sure no oil sits on top of the set screws attacking the red loctite... Overkill, I know.
Very clean install... I want to do this, but I am concerned with the amount of oil that might collect in the bottom of that small filter. My Ness filter is completely discolored and was saturated with oil after only a couple thousand miles. It may have been from the dealer filling the oil level to the very full line when it was in for the 1000 mile service. I have read that most people keep the level half way up the stick to avoid oil blow by. Where do you keep your oil level?

I must have pulled my filter off 4 times to mop up the oil inside the filter and throttle body area.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:40 AM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxxsmart
Very clean install... I want to do this, but I am concerned with the amount of oil that might collect in the bottom of that small filter. My Ness filter is completely discolored and was saturated with oil after only a couple thousand miles. It may have been from the dealer filling the oil level to the very full line when it was in for the 1000 mile service. I have read that most people keep the level half way up the stick to avoid oil blow by. Where do you keep your oil level?

I must have pulled my filter off 4 times to mop up the oil inside the filter and throttle body area.
I haven't had any issue with my filter at all. The filter media will i expect absorb a fair amount before dripping, and I'll just pull it off and clean it if necessary (and wipe off the drop if any makes it to the motor) - I actually bought two of the same filters so its a quick swap and I can take my time cleaning it when necessary. I'm about 3/4 on the stick when hot.

However if you have an excessive amount of blowby you can't control with the level in the "pan" - you can always put a Y fitting in place of the filter and run a hose to a catch can. I bought a nice one as that was my original plan. After trying out the filter, i see no need to use it.

Last edited by Mchad; 12-16-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:35 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

I haven't had any issue with my filter at all. The filter media will i expect absorb a fair amount before dripping, and I'll just pull it off and clean it if necessary (and wipe off the drop if any makes it to the motor) - I actually bought two of the same filters so its a quick swap and I can take my time cleaning it when necessary. I'm about 3/4 on the stick when hot.

However if you have an excessive amount of blowby you can't control with the level in the "pan" - you can always put a Y fitting in place of the filter and run a hose to a catch can. I bought a nice one as that was my original plan. After trying out the filter, i see no need to use it.
i think that what i'm going to do. i'm looking for a clear catch can or can with a window then out a filter

like this but not as crappy

i want to see whats coming out and how much

Last edited by cvaria; 12-16-2015 at 09:40 AM.