Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 12:34 AM
damager1
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!

Just got back from the shop on my 09 FXD. BRANDY NEW BARS installed!! Check out photo's below... before and after!

I'm only had about a 10 mile ride with them so far... but man, i can say i already love em. Cornering is SO much easier, and I don't have to reach for the bars anymore, which eliminates that annoying neck cramp I used to get on the stock FXD bars.

I'll hold off on additional comment until I have a few long rides which (here in the northeast) may not happen until 2016. But man, they look f'n SWEET!

For those who are wondering... these are the Wild 1 Chubby 1-1/4" 10" inch mini apes. Readily available on JP Cycles. Although I heard they may be discontinued soon.

Also, relocated the front turn signals to the clamps just above the lower forks. I originally wanted to mount them to the forks, but I couldn't find a mount that fit those forks. I'm actually not too displeased with the clamps as I originally thought I'd be!

Attached Thumbnails New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!-053.jpg   New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!-071.jpg   New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!-073.jpg   New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!-074.jpg   New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!-076.jpg  

New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!-077.jpg  
Old 10-28-2015, 07:28 AM
spyderwebb
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, I much prefer these over the stock too!
Bike looks tight!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:38 AM
AUburner
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks good! Did you use your stock cables with these?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:12 AM
canadayman
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looks great would like to put these on as well did the stock cables/wires work with these and did it change your wrist angle at all thanks

Old 10-28-2015, 09:38 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,748 Likes on 3,108 Posts

Let's see how your back is, after a thousand mile day...

Old 10-28-2015, 10:28 AM
AUburner
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Depends on how many 1000 mile day trips he does in a year....If his neck gives him problems lets say after 50 miles, and does that everyday. Then I think he made a good choice.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:25 AM
damager1
Tourer

Originally Posted by AUburner
Looks good! Did you use your stock cables with these?

No unfortunately, the stock cabling would have been too short by far. Had to add at least 5-6 inches to facilitate the new bars. the stock bars were TEENY WEENY. And very narrow so the cabling didn't need to go far. Not to mention I relocated the front turn signals so those had to be shortened as well.

Yeah man, I wish! Would've made the job way cheaper seeing as I could've done it myself. But man, when it comes to critical systems such as brakes and clutch, etc, I'd much prefer to leave it in the hands of a pro.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM
damager1
Tourer

Originally Posted by canadayman
looks great would like to put these on as well did the stock cables/wires work with these and did it change your wrist angle at all thanks
Yes it ABSOLUTELY changed wrist angle, but not in a bad way, just different. They sit closer cuz of the larger pullback, so you definitely want the wrist angle different otherwise you'll have sore wrists after a few miles. Like I said, going to take some easy riding at first to get used to. The biggest thing I've noticed (other than my hands being almost shoulder height) is the cornering with the new width of the bars. These bars are a good 5-6 inches wider than the stocks. Like I said the pullback is alot more too so they sit closer to me. So cornering is.... very different. ALOT easier, I had to put a good amount of effort in to take sharp corners with the stock bars. With the new width of these, there's so much leverage now that it kind of encourages leaning more, and the bars don't fight you as much if that makes any sense.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM
damager1
Tourer

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Curious why you say this - do these mini's encourage back issues?

I should point out too that I don't do 1000 mile days - Leastways I've not tried it yet - in 3 years the most I've done is a 150-200 mile day. And that was on a sporty which I always thought was very comfy even with the stock bars.

This FXD wasn't comfy with the stock bars from Day 1. But yeah the most I do in a given day, unless I plan a trip - 50-60 miles.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:39 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by damager1
Curious why you say this - do these mini's encourage back issues?

I should point out too that I don't do 1000 mile days - Leastways I've not tried it yet - in 3 years the most I've done is a 150-200 mile day. And that was on a sporty which I always thought was very comfy even with the stock bars.

This FXD wasn't comfy with the stock bars from Day 1. But yeah the most I do in a given day, unless I plan a trip - 50-60 miles.
if your a big dude, the apes will help. Im 6'3 and on my low rider the drag bars would make my neck hurt after about 40 miles. I have 16' apes now, and I would ride 1000 miles no problem.

Quick Reply: New 10" Mini Apes on the FXD Super Glide!