Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake on Wide Glide and other things

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Steve Jones Harley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear brake on Wide Glide and other things

Just had my first ride on a Harley. My own new 2012 Wide Glide. So as a newbie please forgive what might seem like stupid questions. First, the rear brake doesn't hold the bike on a hill, am I not pressing it hard enough or is it not man enough for the job. Second, it feels jerky/lumpy at slow speeds at times (maybe poor throttle control as I'm new to it ?) Third, it gives me back ache ! Hoping to get used to the riding position, forward controls don't seem to be an issue for me, but suggestions to help (backrest, different seat, risers ?) would be appreciated. First ride ever today was for an hour, quiet country roads, town riding with traffic, roundabouts, lights etc. all good but will obviously get better over time. Biggest bike I've ridden before this was a Yamaha 600cc and then only to practice and to pass my UK bike test. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:13 PM
AFDynaRider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same bike. My rear brake will hold the bike just fine on hills. My guess is you just need to press harder. As far as the back pain goes what helped me was getting 10 inch apes that put my hands right at shoulder height and pushing them forward until I was sitting straight up. I also found the throttle to be a little touchy at slow speeds. You just need to get used to it. It will definitely take some experimentation to get it where you want it.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:16 PM
cggorman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,710 Posts

Rear brake should EASILY hold the bike on a hill...or slow you from 100kph... Suggest checking adjustment of pedal to ensure you are getting full travel at your riding position.

Lumpy idle is typical of Harley. Try pulling in the clutch a touch to buffer some of the shake before it gets to the transmission...or use more throttle...or coast...

Sit up straight. Bend and the hips, not back. Try some other seats. It's not a one size fits all situation and MANY people dislike the factory seats. Keep in mind you can also change a seat not only to get something that fits your bum better, but also adjusts your riding position. Lower, higher, forward, back.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:11 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Definitely change out your bars or install some riser extensions. DK Customs (a site sponsor) has some nice ones that don't cost a ton. Put them on my wife's WG. Did wonders for her so she could sit upright.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:34 AM
liberty911
Novice

I put the DK Customs 2 inch riser extensions on my 12 Wide Glide. It made a world of difference. I can sit up instead of the slight forward lean I was doing before.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:55 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
Definitely change out your bars or install some riser extensions. DK Customs (a site sponsor) has some nice ones that don't cost a ton. Put them on my wife's WG. Did wonders for her so she could sit upright.

The DK Customs riser extensions will move your bars up and back and will relieve the shoulder and back stress you're having from the forward leaning position of the stock setup. I used 2" fat extensions; brake line, clutch, throttle, and wiring fit with no issues. One of my smarter uses of $35

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/2-In...2-SFT-RSRS.htm

Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by TinCupChalice

The DK Customs riser extensions will move your bars up and back and will relieve the shoulder and back stress you're having from the forward leaning position of the stock setup. I used 2" fat extensions; brake line, clutch, throttle, and wiring fit with no issues. One of my smarter uses of $35

http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/2-In...2-SFT-RSRS.htm

I couldn't believe you hadn't answered this earlier Tin Cup....LOL

You do a much better of it then I do!

Old 10-27-2015, 09:10 AM
Steve Jones Harley
Intermediate

tincupchalice, thanks, they look good and follow the angle of the bike too. Do you have any photos looking at the front ?

Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member

They aren't the best of pics but here is a couple of my wife's bike.

Attached Thumbnails Rear brake on Wide Glide and other things-wg1.jpg   Rear brake on Wide Glide and other things-wg2.jpg  
Old 10-27-2015, 09:30 AM
TinCupChalice
Extreme HDF Member
Received 8,751 Likes on 3,962 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I couldn't believe you hadn't answered this earlier Tin Cup....LOL

You do a much better of it then I do!
Yea, I didn't see the thread until just now, I've been in the process of pulling the rocker covers and rocker assemblies to install the Bikerscum Rockout/DK Custom Rocker Lockers. That last touch of top end noise I can hear between 2300 - 2500 RPM is going to be permanently gone

Originally Posted by Steve Jones Harley
tincupchalice, thanks, they look good and follow the angle of the bike too. Do you have any photos looking at the front ?
This is the only real shot I've got that's sort of from the front, the WG is on the lift right now or I'd get you a new one. The riser extensions made a world of difference for me, I'd planned on swapping out the bars/risers but after trying the extensions I saw no reason to, very comfortable and look great

Quick Reply: Rear brake on Wide Glide and other things