Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015 | 07:38 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
Ok, let's go get a beer. We've been sounding like dems and repubs
thank god thats over. back to the advice and helping...

Old 10-27-2015 | 10:29 PM
Davdoodles
Tourer

Another thing that affects bars is the pullback - sorry If someone raised it and I missed it.

Some buckhorn bars, when they were in fashion a while back got real narrow side-to-side, but were still fairly manageable, because they had tons of pullback - went back towards the rider a fair distance. Like squashed apes.

Turning with them was easy enough, but it felt a bit like like the tiller on a boat. Leverage could still be applied around the center-of-rotation of the forks (ie roughly around the fork stem).

In contrast, T-bar risers mostly seem to stay dead-in-line with the forks, so the only factor affecting leverage available is the width part of the bars.

I run SB mini apes on my bike, but cranked them forward (till the bar's arms are roughly vertical when viewed from the side), reducing the pullback to almost nothing. That reduced the leverage I had, while not actually changing the width of the bars - it quite noticably livened up the feel...

Old 10-28-2015 | 01:49 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain

All you young whipper snappers need to learn a thing or two about riding.
Get wider bars for throwing it back and forth and when the cars are to close you are supposed to stand it up on the rear wheel and **** your handlebars sideways to pass through.
Now granted this might be hard to do when you have bars stuck up in the air and have to hold on like some ape but if that is how you are going to roll then don't make any excuses about why you can't wheelie through traffic... And I know that it is perfectly acceptable down in Guatemala... heck the cops there will probably applaud you for doing it.

Old 10-28-2015 | 08:09 AM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by motolocopat
All you young whipper snappers need to learn a thing or two about riding.
Get wider bars for throwing it back and forth and when the cars are to close you are supposed to stand it up on the rear wheel and **** your handlebars sideways to pass through.
Now granted this might be hard to do when you have bars stuck up in the air and have to hold on like some ape but if that is how you are going to roll then don't make any excuses about why you can't wheelie through traffic... And I know that it is perfectly acceptable down in Guatemala... heck the cops there will probably applaud you for doing it.
I agree. Kids these days don't respect wheelies like they used to! Bunch of sissies!

Old 10-28-2015 | 09:44 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

"How narrow is too narrow?" I'd say anything less than a foot wide is too narrow.

Old 11-16-2015 | 07:52 PM
FXD_noob
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by ToffeeBrown
I agree. Kids these days don't respect wheelies like they used to! Bunch of sissies!
Bahaha, I'd love to wheelie my Dyna through traffic, just lemme add some safety mods first like crash bars and ****.

Anyway, seems I like I missed the drama in page 4 but it's all good now. Thanks for the advice on handlebar width! I'm much more educated on the subject now.

Old 05-15-2016 | 07:53 AM
PacoElProfesor
Advanced

24" wide 8" high + stock risers. They make the bike feel lighter and make slow speed turns easier. I ride to work every day (about 14 city mile round trip).

Attached Thumbnails How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?-img_20160514_152707.jpg   How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?-img_20160514_152714.jpg   How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?-img_20160514_200602.jpg   How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?-img_20160514_200437.jpg   How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?-img_20160514_200507.jpg  

Old 05-15-2016 | 01:32 PM
FXD_noob
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by PacoElProfesor
24" wide 8" high + stock risers. They make the bike feel lighter and make slow speed turns easier. I ride to work every day (about 14 city mile round trip).
Thanks for the pics man, great reference.

Old 05-15-2016 | 01:43 PM
fxdlx
Road Master

Originally Posted by PacoElProfesor
Looks good with the sigs where they are instead of messing up the clean lines of your front end.

Old 05-15-2016 | 02:14 PM
PacoElProfesor
Advanced

Thanks guys. For reference, I am 5'10". Also, don't forget to change the riser bushings: the added height of the 8" vs stock 4" bars make them feel spongy.

Quick Reply: How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?