Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015 | 12:00 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Talking

Narrow bars are ok, as long as you don't go fast...very fast.

Old 10-25-2015 | 06:56 PM
FXD_noob
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Narrow bars are ok, as long as you don't go fast...very fast.
Is it really that bad when you do high speeds with narrow bars? I like doing 90-up on some stretches, though rarely. My city is too small and the roads are too bumpy for high speeds for long times.

Old 10-25-2015 | 08:32 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FXD_noob
Is it really that bad when you do high speeds with narrow bars? I like doing 90-up on some stretches, though rarely. My city is too small and the roads are too bumpy for high speeds for long times.
You'll be fine. 25-27 inch bars are rock solid well into the 110s

Old 10-25-2015 | 08:43 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Mine are 26" wide...I ride very fast sometimes and have never experienced a stability problem.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:00 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe I should rephrase that.

Narrow bars offer reduced leverage when initiating a lean, when at a very high speeds. The rider has to overcome increased gyroscopic effects...

That's what I was thinking when I wrote the earlier post. I see it wasn't read that way. Oops!

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:12 PM
ToffeeBrown
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Maybe I should rephrase that.

Narrow bars offer reduced leverage when initiating a lean, when at a very high speeds. The rider has to overcome increased gyroscopic effects...

That's what I was thinking when I wrote the earlier post. I see it wasn't read that way. Oops!
This is 100%, factually-correct information. The good news is, however, is that the vast majority of narrow bars are rislerless. A riserless bar transfers energy into the triple trees without the added play of a multi-piece set up. When combined with high-end bushings, you can very easily come out ahead of where you were in regards to handling, and still have the style, comfort, and lane-splitting ability of the narrower bars.

Old 10-25-2015 | 11:54 PM
FXD_noob
|
Road Master

Thank you for all your feedback. I can now make a well-informed decision on what to buy now! I'll probably go for T-bars, I like their mean, no-nonsense look and the fact that my arms will not be better aligned with my shoulders...

Old 10-26-2015 | 01:20 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Just remember one thing: if you need to make a split second maneuver and can't make that happen because of the lack of leverage with real narrow bars, it may well be a very bad day.

Old 10-26-2015 | 03:45 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
Just remember one thing: if you need to make a split second maneuver and can't make that happen because of the lack of leverage with real narrow bars, it may well be a very bad day.

If you can't make a quick maneuver because your bars are a couple of inches narrower than stock....you're too weak to ride a motorcycle.

Old 10-26-2015 | 10:49 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
If you can't make a quick maneuver because your bars are a couple of inches narrower than stock....you're too weak to ride a motorcycle.
If you'll read my post, you'd see that the key word was "real".

Quick Reply: How narrow is too narrow for handlebars?