Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wide glide vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 01:21 PM
budfxdwg
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wide glide vibration

Picked up my 2007 Wide Glide yesterday. Wife noticed vibration at idle while at dealership. Got the rider essential package & tall boy seat. Loved the 25 mile ride home, but taking my better half out for a ride later she said vibration is too much. I have clear images in rear view, have in the last 30 years ridden everything from 50's flatheads to 70's sportsters and personally don't mind the vibration (just don't want to go back and pick up any parts that have fallen off). Anyone else notice vibration on the new glides?? Bud

Old 05-05-2007, 01:37 PM
ehc0720
Tourer
Default RE: wide glide vibration

Last year when I got my 06 WG it too vibrated, took it back and complained they said it was normal. I told them it was unacceptable. They then called HD and they told the tech to loosen the motormounts let it run for a few minutes then re-torque the mounts. Worked perfectly.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 PM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ehc0720

Last year when I got my 06 WG it too vibrated, took it back and complained they said it was normal. I told them it was unacceptable. They then called HD and they told the tech to loosen the motormounts let it run for a few minutes then re-torque the mounts. Worked perfectly.
Just be sure to loosen them first and torque to spec. Don't ask me how I know. [&o]

Old 05-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

Yup, sounds like they shortcutted your build at the MoCo. Engine needs to be "reset" in the frame. MAKE THE STEALER FIX IT!

Mine shook to much when I got it, but I bought used with 2000 miles on it. Reset the mounts per the Service Manual and now I can even see in the mirrors at idle.

Bsically, one of the mounts is grounded out and out of alignment.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:04 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I was very pleased mine vibrated at idle, but not at any other time. Prior threads say they all vibrate; supposed to. I wouldn't want to "fix" it.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain

Yes, the Harley shake is good, but a harsh vibration is not right. There's a not so fine line between the common V-Twin expected shake and a gounded out mount that feels like a metal to metal rub.

I agree, I like the shake, but not a harshess that would be like putting a Dyna engine in a Softail. (Balance shaft vs. no Balance Shaft & Rubber mount vs. Rigid.)

Old 05-05-2007, 10:09 PM
eleutheros
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Agreed. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:39 PM
js1268
Banned

yah, i got some sick vibrating on my '07 bob... it's annoying the pure hell right out of me.... i know it's not normal ....i only got 50 miles on it, and at idle, i can watch the pipes bounce 2 or 3 inches up and down.... that doesn't seem right ...and even at like 30 or 40 mph, the fine vibration through the pegs goes right through my boots and up my legs....

something isn't right

any suggestions? ....think it might be the engine mount thing, guys?

incidentally, i don't have a service manual, yet.... can one of you guys post the page that indicates the motor mount bolts, and the sequence and torque specs for them?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 PM
SWOOP_IN
Cruiser

I get very noticable vibration at idle but sounds nothing like what im reading, how much is too much?? I do like the shake.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:30 AM
RazorFXDB
Tourer

ORIGINAL: js1268

yah, i got some sick vibrating on my '07 bob... it's annoying the pure hell right out of me.... i know it's not normal ....i only got 50 miles on it, and at idle, i can watch the pipes bounce 2 or 3 inches up and down.... that doesn't seem right ...and even at like 30 or 40 mph, the fine vibration through the pegs goes right through my boots and up my legs....

something isn't right

any suggestions? ....think it might be the engine mount thing, guys?

incidentally, i don't have a service manual, yet.... can one of you guys post the page that indicates the motor mount bolts, and the sequence and torque specs for them?
I'd say the bouncing is normal. Like others have said, a noticeable shake is good. A small "stinging" vibration may be bad ... I guess.

Quick Reply: wide glide vibration