Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley... questions on 2015 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 PM
BillHarley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Harley... questions on 2015 Low Rider

Hey there all,

Closing in on a childhood dream. It's only taken me 47 years to do it (jobs, family, divorce, single-fatherhood and alcoholism are quite the deterrents).

I've been riding a 97 Honda Magna for the last couple of seasons. Great bike, but it's time to take the plunge.

Enough about me. On to questions.

I'm thinking that the Low Rider is the choice for me. I've been to a local dealer (LA Harley... that's Lewiston-Auburn Harley), and have test driven many models. The styling, handling, looks, and price are making this a no-brainer for me)

Several questions (yes, I have searched the forums and found a wealth of information, but I figured I would introduce myself and get a discussion going about an awesome bike!):

I would like to have the 'Harley Sound'...loud, but I want to maintain the fillings that I do have in my teeth. Better to do a complete pipe change, or slip-ons?

If complete exhaust, I know that it should be a stage 1 upgrade (at least). Worth it? How about the Screamin Eagle module? Is that worth it?

Any other add-ons I would be better off having the dealership do? Other add ons I would do (seat, bags, racks, etc).

And the most important... anything I should know about going into purchasing a Low Rider?

Thank you folks for having me. I'm excited to say the least. As a matter of fact, I haven't slept much in the last few days as I'm closing in on the purchase!

Old 10-10-2015, 12:26 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by BillHarley
Hey there all,

Closing in on a childhood dream. It's only taken me 47 years to do it (jobs, family, divorce, single-fatherhood and alcoholism are quite the deterrents).

I've been riding a 97 Honda Magna for the last couple of seasons. Great bike, but it's time to take the plunge.

Enough about me. On to questions.

I'm thinking that the Low Rider is the choice for me. I've been to a local dealer (LA Harley... that's Lewiston-Auburn Harley), and have test driven many models. The styling, handling, looks, and price are making this a no-brainer for me)

Several questions (yes, I have searched the forums and found a wealth of information, but I figured I would introduce myself and get a discussion going about an awesome bike!):

I would like to have the 'Harley Sound'...loud, but I want to maintain the fillings that I do have in my teeth. Better to do a complete pipe change, or slip-ons?

If complete exhaust, I know that it should be a stage 1 upgrade (at least). Worth it? How about the Screamin Eagle module? Is that worth it?

Any other add-ons I would be better off having the dealership do? Other add ons I would do (seat, bags, racks, etc).

And the most important... anything I should know about going into purchasing a Low Rider?

Thank you folks for having me. I'm excited to say the least. As a matter of fact, I haven't slept much in the last few days as I'm closing in on the purchase!
I purchased a 2014 LR July 2014. almost 14k miles later could not be happier. have bags and backrest, great for traveling 2 up.

Attached Thumbnails First Harley... questions on 2015 Low Rider-dscn1044.jpg   First Harley... questions on 2015 Low Rider-dscn1041.jpg  
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Lama
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

http://www.fuelmotousa.com

If you want sound and a more power with no hassle results contact Fuel Moto. Forget the dealership for your upgrades you can do better yourself.

http://leatherpros.com/website1_003.htm

Get a set of Leatherpros FXDXT bags. They will transform your new FXDL into an all purpose motorcycle that you can go just about anywhere on, without leaving behind what you want or need to bring.

After that customize as needed or leave it alone.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,021 Likes on 7,864 Posts

Originally Posted by MRFREEZE57
I purchased a 2014 LR July 2014. almost 14k miles later could not be happier. have bags and backrest, great for traveling 2 up.
Good looking bike right there.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,880 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Everything you want to know about the current gen LR can be found here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...low-rider.html

Old 10-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I did the stage one on mine with a V&H slip on, Screamin Eagle intake and the V&H VP3 to tune it. The bike ran like a dream. I switched the exhaust to V&H Big Shots and it caused vibration problems and made the bike wobble at high speed. I could not completely resolve the problem so I switched back to the slip on and the bike was a dream to ride agian. I will just stay with the slip on now. Added HD detachable bags as well as back rest, carrier and windscreen. Love the bike and I can go from a bare bike to a touring set up in a couple minutes. If I had everything sitting by the bike I could probably have it all on in under two minutes. As for the seat I went with a tall boy at first and then switched to the Mustang wide solo.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Tommy C
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 24,021 Likes on 7,864 Posts

Your bike looks so much better with the 2 into 1.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:01 PM
Super08
Supporter

The V&H slip on for some reason just plain works well on this bike. Others have found the same.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:41 PM
BillHarley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ikelov and Lama...thanks for the information! Super08... that's just about the same exact setup I was going to go after for my bike!

In all the reading I've done, I came across someone somewhere stating that there was an issue with the headers burning out on the current setup... is that true? I can't seem to find the thread/recommendations on it... I believe they had stated that the stock setup was the cause.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:46 PM
Super08
Supporter

I haven't come across it in any of the threads I have read. Doesn't mean it isn't out there somewhere though. I can't see it being very common though or it would be all over the place.

Quick Reply: First Harley... questions on 2015 Low Rider