Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley... questions on 2015 Low Rider

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Nightglidr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having owned a Streetglide,2 sportsters and a Switchback, my 2014 Lowrider is simply the best of all of them. I don't ride 2 up but I do one long bike trip each summer. (5000 mile trip last July). I did have the dealer install a quick release windshield, saddle bags and new seat with drivers back rest. Also added sissy bar, back rack, engine guards with highway foot pegs. Basically it is set up for touring. It it lighter and handles way better than the SG, and just a quick as the sporty. But lower seat height than the sporty as well.
I installed a Vance and Hinse slip on pipe which sounds really good and not too loud to **** off the neighbors but a nice bark when you crack open the throttle.
I have since also installed reduced reach forward controls ( I found that I ride with my feet on the highway pegs all the time anyway so it made sense to have my brakes and shifter moved).. Also I had the dealer install new SE cams, big air kit and flashed the ECM. This upgrade really woke the bike up. �� And lastly I removed the windshield and installed a Memphis Shade quick release fairing. Now the bike really handles well at higher speeds as the fairing seem to slice through the air better than a flat windshield.
Anyway. The great thing about a Harley, any Harley is that is is easily customizable to fit the rider. If you're mostly riding solo. The Lowrider is a great ride. If you're doing two up riding look at the switchback or road king models. Even the Streetglide ( but has limited rear suspension travel).

Old 10-10-2015, 10:34 PM
BillHarley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info Nightglidr. I had looked at the Switchback... haven't decided yet. Have you done any two up riding? My wife will probably occasionally get on the back... but she's not converted yet, and there is a good chance she won't be!

Old 10-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Nightglidr
Advanced

I've have female passengers on both bikes. No problems with bottoming out the shocks.
For short day runs, the Lowrider is fine, especially with passenger back rest.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:35 AM
outerbanks
Intermediate

You're buying a new bike with a warranty so I'd suggest V&H slip-ons and stage-1 air cleaner with factory ECU reflash. Good sound a little power and no impact on warranty. The 2-1 with slip-on is a quieter on these bikes Low Rider/Wide Glide/Fat Bob because of the single chamber catalytic converter ahead of the muffler. My wife's 1200 Sportster with the same V&H slip-ons is a Lot louder than my bike.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 PM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,735 Likes on 1,408 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightglidr
Having owned a Streetglide,2 sportsters and a Switchback, my 2014 Lowrider is simply the best of all of them. I don't ride 2 up but I do one long bike trip each summer. (5000 mile trip last July). I did have the dealer install a quick release windshield, saddle bags and new seat with drivers back rest. Also added sissy bar, back rack, engine guards with highway foot pegs. Basically it is set up for touring. It it lighter and handles way better than the SG, and just a quick as the sporty. But lower seat height than the sporty as well.
I installed a Vance and Hinse slip on pipe which sounds really good and not too loud to **** off the neighbors but a nice bark when you crack open the throttle.
I have since also installed reduced reach forward controls ( I found that I ride with my feet on the highway pegs all the time anyway so it made sense to have my brakes and shifter moved).. Also I had the dealer install new SE cams, big air kit and flashed the ECM. This upgrade really woke the bike up. �� And lastly I removed the windshield and installed a Memphis Shade quick release fairing. Now the bike really handles well at higher speeds as the fairing seem to slice through the air better than a flat windshield.
Anyway. The great thing about a Harley, any Harley is that is is easily customizable to fit the rider. If you're mostly riding solo. The Lowrider is a great ride. If you're doing two up riding look at the switchback or road king models. Even the Streetglide ( but has limited rear suspension travel).

NICE!!!

The Low Rider came out a couple months after I purchased my FLD. If it had been out, I may have one now.

Curious on your thoughts on the Switchback vs. the LR.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 AM
BillHarley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the local Harley shop yesterday to look at bikes. I was focusing on the Street Bob, which I had briefly looked at. In my opinion, the Low Rider is the best looking/performing of the Dyna class. On my test drive, every time I down shifted, I chirped the tires... it was love at first drive!

Old 10-14-2015, 04:36 PM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,662 Likes on 2,112 Posts

Originally Posted by BillHarley
Thanks for the info Nightglidr. I had looked at the Switchback... haven't decided yet. Have you done any two up riding? My wife will probably occasionally get on the back... but she's not converted yet, and there is a good chance she won't be!
I ride with my wife on back about 75% of the time, went on a 2k mile trip last month, no problems, although I did install progressive 444 shocks earlier 12.5" to gain a slight bit more travel. with both of us on the bike and travel gear, were maxed out on weight, the bike still handled great.

Old 10-15-2015, 02:39 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Fl-Vied-10's super glide header with v&H slipons, relocated front turn signals, and forward controls. I have everything to put some apes on the bike except the apes themselves....lol....I love this bike, you will not be disappointed, just dont let the dealer do any work on your bike unless its warranty stuff.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 PM
kontiki
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,279 Likes on 1,155 Posts

Originally Posted by emperor wurm
Fl-Vied-10's super glide header with v&H slipons, relocated front turn signals, and forward controls. I have everything to put some apes on the bike except the apes themselves....lol....I love this bike, you will not be disappointed, just dont let the dealer do any work on your bike unless its warranty stuff.
Sweet looking LR. I'm planning to relocate the front turn signals also (can't believe moco would mount them up under the bars - maybe for better visibility?). Was going to go with the Harley relocation kit, which seems to be the cleanest way to do it on these bikes. Is that what you did?

Old 10-15-2015, 07:15 PM
Odelay
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great choice for a first Harley. The LR has to be one of the best values in the lineup, and looks killer too.

If you do a stage one I would get a Powder Commander or similar. Stage 1 is a must, it opens these bikes up a lot.

The comfort/touring stuff (seat, sissy bar, windshield, etc) can easily be done at home if you know how to turn a wrench.

I usually skip my local dealer and go to surdyke.com for the Harley-branded stuff, can usually save a bit of $ by ordering from them online and installing yourself.

Good luck and have fun

Quick Reply: First Harley... questions on 2015 Low Rider