Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Beginning to have an issue starting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 12:16 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Beginning to have an issue starting

Started out as a every once in a while issue, but is beginning to be come more common.

When I go to start the bike, I depress the start switch but nothing happens. Shift in and out of gear, hold the clutch in, roll back and forth......some of the things I have tried.....doesnt seem to make a difference.

First thing I tried was replacing the fob batteries. After that I tried using my spare fob (with new battery also) and same result.

Seems like I just have to keep pressing the start switch until something happens. Doesnt usually take two long for it to work, but it seems to be getting progressively worse.

The red security indicator is on when I first turn on power, but goes off, so I am thinking its not a fob issue.

Wonder if the start switch is wearing out?

Thoughts?

Thanks fellas.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:10 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Hey, Fever!
Just by coincidence I was experiencing the same symptoms this past month, once on a small group run 100 miles from home, and again on a more recent errand run. Turn on ign switch and handlebar 'on' button, push 'start' and nada. Wait a few seconds and retry, then starts up like normal. Unnerving to say the least. Going for the cheaper solutions, replaced the starter relay on the fuse panel ($5 at dealer) on the outside chance that was the problem, and also installed this as an emergency starter switch ($22 eBay, much easier and cheaper to replace than HD handlebar start switch):

Install onto end of solenoid was a bit tricky because of limited space - smaller hands and disconnection of tranny wiring will make for better access - but works as advertised. Just be sure you are in neutral when engaging. Good luck with your repair.
~

Old 10-03-2015, 02:26 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Had same thing happen a couple months ago. Replaced starter and system relays. All working good again.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:13 PM
stilup
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Same thing a couple weeks ago, delayed startup. I just replaced the starter relay,
worked, got out cheap. Carry a spare.
Thanks O-town for the idea of the emergency starter button, just purchased it.
I hate just sitting there when everyone else is taking off.

Last edited by stilup; 10-03-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:19 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Check your switch connections for corrosion.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:12 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

thanks for the inputs guys; going to pick up a relay tomorrow. Also will be checking the connections when I replace the throttle and idle cables here soon.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

So it was the starter relay, phewww! Think I will do as suggested though and install a starter switch as a back up (as well as carry a spare relay).

Old 10-07-2015, 04:34 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
Started out as a every once in a while issue, but is beginning to be come more common.

When I go to start the bike, I depress the start switch but nothing happens. Shift in and out of gear, hold the clutch in, roll back and forth......some of the things I have tried.....doesnt seem to make a difference.

First thing I tried was replacing the fob batteries. After that I tried using my spare fob (with new battery also) and same result.

Seems like I just have to keep pressing the start switch until something happens. Doesnt usually take two long for it to work, but it seems to be getting progressively worse.

The red security indicator is on when I first turn on power, but goes off, so I am thinking its not a fob issue.

Wonder if the start switch is wearing out?

Thoughts?

Thanks fellas.
I would say BINGO

Old 10-10-2015, 03:44 PM
WideGlideFever
Road Master

Well sh*t, starting to have problems again already after replacing the relay. Worked flawlessly for a week; then yesterday started to have issues again. Whats the chances of having two faulty starter relays? Oh well, going to go ahead and pick up two this time and order the solenoid starter switch.

Old 10-10-2015, 03:50 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by WideGlideFever
Well sh*t, starting to have problems again already after replacing the relay. Worked flawlessly for a week; then yesterday started to have issues again. Whats the chances of having two faulty starter relays? Oh well, going to go ahead and pick up two this time and order the solenoid starter switch.
Bummer! I'm going on two weeks with the relay swap and so far it's good. Perhaps I'm on 'borrowed time' too? Hope you get it sorted out, 'Glide!
~

Quick Reply: Beginning to have an issue starting