Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to convert air cleaner to externally vented breather

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 06:45 PM
Tyree
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make a back plate for your breather; you can then use the DK Customs kit for venting the crankcase breather to the outside while still using your current cover. I replaced the stock air filter on my Road King with a K&N filter, removed the filter material from the stock air filter, cut a hole in the center and used it for a backplate. I T-ed the hoses, routed the hose between the cylinder heads and used the horn mount to hang the filter. This hose routing has the hose higher than the banjo bolts so any oil will drain back in.

I mounted a horn between the frame down tubes.

You can use a small filter and hide it inside the cowbell.

I did not take any pictures of the process, probably should have.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:46 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

I should really snap some pics of what I did.
Same trouble,,
I drilled a hole (3/8) in the AC back plate where the rubber thingy's fit but into the round part where they plug into the bolt. Then I used common 3/8 tubing through that hole and onto the breather bolt,,
Follow that? Now I have the vents coming out the bottom of the AC and not into the throttle body.

For the existing channel,, I filled it(them) with RV silicon. I did drill two small holes diagonally across that groove and put pins (finish nails) into those holes so the RV silicon has something to hang on too.

I used DK's external filter/tubing kit to drop the vent tubing down below the frame. I used stainless steel braided flex tubing for a sink water supply line ($5.99) to cover the black rubber tubing

Old 09-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Mchad
Club Member
Received 3,538 Likes on 2,145 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMn
I should really snap some pics of what I did.
Same trouble,,
I drilled a hole (3/8) in the AC back plate where the rubber thingy's fit but into the round part where they plug into the bolt. Then I used common 3/8 tubing through that hole and onto the breather bolt,,
So you threaded the hose through the new hole and bent it 90deg to fit over the stock breather nipple? I can't picture how to get that bend in that small a space.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:26 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes,, It was a PITA,, but I got it on there,, heat gun, a needle nose pliers and some spit helped. This is all ya see.

Last edited by JohnMn; 09-27-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by JohnMn
Yes,, It was a PITA,, but I got it on there,, heat gun, a needle nose pliers and some spit helped.
I'm probably just going straight on - no bend. It'll fit behind the football so it won't be seen. Did you use any clamps?

And I gotta think on the RTV. I was thinking some epoxy - i have some Devcon I used to bed rifle actions. Tough stuff.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,209 Likes on 2,446 Posts

Originally Posted by Mchad
I have a Zippers Performance maxflow air cleaner. Its internally vented the same as most - two rubber "things" that pop on the stock breather bolt nipples and vent the oily gasses into the throttle body. I don't like that. So I bought a DK Customs 587 kit with their external breather kit (two banjo bolts, two 6" hoses and a double input filter) thinking I'll convert to that. Good kit, but I can't use my nice black powder coated football AC cover that I like so much...

I want to route the breather filter up above the AC which will allow it to vent nicely, and also let any oil run back into the motor, thanks to gravity.

So thinking about how to accomplish that with the air cleaner I have.

I could pull the rubber vent things and slip the hoses over the nipples directly and be done. Only problem with that is the 1/4' channel in the filter seal area that the rubber vent run through will allow unfiltered air past the filter. Being as nuts as I am, I'd have to seal that somehow. How is the question.

Or, maybe if I ordered another set of those rubber vent things, I could cut out a hole for the 3/8" hose, slip it over the nipples and route it up above the AC.

I haven't seen anyone do anything similar - maybe i'm the only one here who cares about dumping that oily mess back into the intake. But I doubt it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Just put the football cover over the 587. Works fine, we've done it many times.

Here's my 2012 Softail with a 587 under the football cover.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-28-2015, 06:17 AM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Just put the football cover over the 587. Works fine, we've done it many times.
Hmm, I tried that originally and can't see how it gets a good seal? The element you use is open at the top, sealed by the underside of the cover) and the football has ridges which are stamped in. Theres no way it will seal... If you look at this photo, you will see about a 1/4" gap.

Last edited by Mchad; 09-28-2015 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:17 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Hmm, I tried that originally and can't see how it gets a good seal? The element you use is open at the top, sealed by the underside of the cover) and the football has ridges which are stamped in. Theres no way it will seal... If you look at this photo, you will see about a 1/4" gap.

Leave the 587 cover on, that creates the seal, then put the football over it. The football cover will be against the 587 cover (at the high points) keeping pressure on the 587 cover, which will keep it sealed.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Mchad
Club Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Leave the 587 cover on, that creates the seal, then put the football over it. The football cover will be against the 587 cover (at the high points) keeping pressure on the 587 cover, which will keep it sealed.
Ahhh, ok. Good idea. Thanks.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:03 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Ahhh, ok. Good idea. Thanks.
No problem. I ran mine like that for well over 15k miles, all kinds of roads, it hold securely with no shifting/movement, even on bumpy gravel roads.

Quick Reply: Want to convert air cleaner to externally vented breather